Raspberry Pi Update

Marc

So for those of you who dont know what Im on about with this update, you will first need to go read this :)http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/48090-Raspberry-Pi

Update on my Raspberry Pi.

Got it through the door last week, and I gotta say they are smaller than I actually thought they were. Anyways, first step I needed to get a few bits for it.

• Case - I went on the internet to look for a housing for it. Managed to get myself a clear looking case which was only £5 so was pretty impressed with that. This came today and was self assembly (which was fun LOL)
  • Wireless Dongle - Dont want any wires across the room or that would defeat the object of turning it into a media server without plugging my comp into the TV
  • SD Card - They use an SD card as their harddrive so got myself a 4gb one of these.
  • USB Hub - Got a powered usb hub as not only do I need more USB ports, it also powers the device itself :D

So first I needed to install the software for my media center. This proved to be an issue as even once I put the software onto the SD card, I then needed it to be on the net (wired) in order for it to update to get the wireless working. My TV has HDMI but my monitors do not. This is at one side of the room. My Internet connection is at the other....... Time to get TVs moved about just so I can update this thing.

OK, so all plugged in and I have set it off updating. Took about 15 mins to do the update in total and I was ready to move it over to the TV and set up wireless. This I could do easily through the software itself which I was quite happy about.

Networking to set up next. I set up a network on my linux box which was picked up really easily by the PI. I can now stream to my TV.

NEXT..... All I need now is to get the remote working, which will be working from my phone. I tried this the other day but couldnt manage to get it working properly. I may have another go tomorrow. It does stream extremely well when watching films though as we found last night. After that all I need are some sticky pads to stick it to the back of my TV and Im done. One fully working networked media center that can show anything from any PC in the house :D

His is one of the first generation ones so alot older than yours but its still tiny lol think he is going to use it as a server

To serve what? Not powerfull enough by far for anything meaningful for a server, especially the first gen ones as they only have 256mb ram

They do seem pretty cool, might get one... But I have a net top for my media centre....

I need to find a use for for it lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Aw come on, you done electronics havent ya ... Home automation man LOL

• 2 weeks later...

@Marc - got any pics of the setup? I'd like to run the laptop to the tv but don't appear to have a 'tv out' socket. Also we watch quite a lot of 'catch-up' tv online which would be better on a larger screen

Will get a pic of it tomorrow. Need to stick it to the back of my TV yet.

Android based remote control all set up now too, so just use my phone as a remote.