Ceaser Millan Poll / Discussion

Sarah

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i watch him once in a while, and he always amazes me how he can see the problem and sort it out very quickly.

we used some of his techniques on micha, after trying every standard method and several dog classes, and his techinques worked.

i can honestly say that i think without his techniques micha would have been re-homed, as other methods didnt work.

im not saying he methods are the only way to train a dog, but they are an option.

and remain calm and asertive.

I agree David, you have to be calm & assertive it does make the world of difference. We have been trying a few of Ceaser's tips & I can say they do work :grinning-smiley-003 I have to admit I watch The Dog Whisperer all the time & find myself amazed at how easy he makes it all look :D

Cesar Milan is ok but i wouldnt recommend that people try his methods with your average puppy because most of his work is based on work with older dogs that have aggression problems...other than that i really appreciate his work because he does get out there and advocate for shelter dogs and stuff.

My wife has read some of his books, we both have watched his programs on TV, and we have used some of his techniques with success. I agree that he has a unique ability to diagnose a situation and that is the key. I don't have that ability, because I'm am part of the situation and too close to it. I think he has found his niche, and he's successful at it, so good for him.

hey all, i think he's amazing, however, i do think he is all same-ish in everything, i dont' always see him using different methods and it seems like he's rehibilitating the dogs but not really teaching the owners much? thats just my opinion and i do love his work and think he's an amazing person, i do however love the work of Victoria Stillwell, is every one familliar with her? i thnk her method are brilliant as she always has alternative methods as one glove doesn't always fit all so to speak, i do also enjoy watching dgo borstal too :) anything doggy is good for me :)

all i can say is my sibe is my first dog and before i got her i watched every single episode of dog whisperer and followed all his methods to the best of my ability and i'm left with a calm/submissive and extremely well behaved well trained husky.

the proof is in the pudding if you ask me and i think this man is the authority on dogs.

edit: i like Victoria Stillwell also. She doesnt beat around the bush and says it like it is. she's cool

LOL!! Im sure there have been some undocumented bites...but the point is that he has been bitten and no owner should be so confrontational that their dog feels unsafe and they end up being bitten.

they say in every episode to consult dog training professionals and not to try all his techniques at home.

each case is different, but his basic rules apply to everyone and that's what i've used.

I like to watch his shows online, and the one I happen to watch was about leash training an aggressive dog. I was slightly appalled with how he would "kick" the dog with his foot to get his attention. I'm not for that at all! I understand a small nudge with the leg, but that's as far as it goes.

he makes a huge point of explaining that he is not kicking. he is bumping them to break their focus on something negative. He does it this way because he has to surprize the dog. Otherwise most of these dogs will just ignore other attempts.

I used this with my dog when i first got her she was out for blood when she saw cats. I only had to BUMP her a couple times before she got the point that cats are not prey for her and she now completely ignores them and one cat on the block will regularily walk right up to us while we are out to say hi and Kiba doesnt budge.

IMO i am all for it especially if its an aggressive dog that is wanting to attack someone or something.

Pack LeaderI want to be clear that i agree with his methods with those type of dogs. Meaning that the owners has allowed an behavior to go uncorrected to the point where they seem that it is out of control, that dogs are aggressive to humans and/or other dogs, most dogs are adult dog with poor or no training, or something to those subjects.

Do i believe that you should use this method on any dog you get being puppy or not? Heck No! Do i suggest that you use his method if you have those subject(s) present? No...at least not with out Supervision of someone with experiences.

Do you agree with me that Cesar methods are for dogs that are out of control and to get them back where they belong vs. a method as to prevent? I believe it is a case by case bases for dogs with issues that clear pack leaders are unable and/or inexperiences to deal with own their own. When I used to watch his show a lot i never seen a puppy and methods used to be a preventer but dogs with issues.

He is great and so is his methods with in those areas. We use similar methods with similar issues, however each case is different and requires different methods. I think the combination of Cesar methods and Victoria methods are great!

When we get new guest that has not become a member, cause our training is not for everyone, we often ask:

1. Why did you choose a dog?

2. Why did you choose that dog breed?

3. What do you know about this breed?

4. Have you dont any research and was it helpful?

5. Where did you get your dog from?

6.. What do you think it takes to be a good pack leader?

7. Why are you here?

8. What expect from yourself and your dog?

9. Are you willing to be consistent?

10. What do you want to achieve?

For guest with older dogs that have some behavior problems we ask same questions and more:

1. What methods have you tried?

2. Where did you get the idea from? (Here is where we hear a lot of ideas coming from Cesar, victory, dog 101 , friends, breeders, pet store employees, and other trainers)

3. Why did you feel that idea/method should be used on your dog?

4. Why did you think it was unsuccessful?

5. Are you willing to change and commit?

These are written answers before we even meet that dogs. That's right we meet the Pack Leader before we meet the dog(s) for several different reasons. The main reason is because we want to get to now the guest and the guest to get to know us.

Second Meeting: with the pack Leaders are research and background. We inform guest with our background, method of training, expectations, rules, familiarity with the the training grounds, binders (study material on their dogs breed, their questionnaire, progress reports,goals, feeding schedules/habits, exercise, overall health, contract agreement, Handler Insurance agreement, etc.).

Third meeting: is were we observe the dogs and pack leaders for 2 hours at their home (aggressive dogs different methods are used). We do not acknoweledge the dog(s), we dont touch, we don't give instructions just watch.

Next is the forth meeting are broken up into two parts:

Part 1: Is were we have the Pack Leader introduce their pets to us in our training class rooms. We touch when invited to touch by dog, we let them sniff and do the things that dogs do. We spend about 20 mins with each dogs so they can get to know us just a little bit better. All dogs are required to have harness and be muzzled with this first stage. (Most toy dogs we do not require to be muzzled)

Part 2 is where muzzles and harness are removed and we introduce the dog(s) to the training grounds. This is done on most basis individual dog by dog. Here they get to run around the training grounds, play, and explore for about 15-20 mins.

There is no fee, no charge for the first 4 meetings. The 5th day is were we talk with the Pack Leaders about all the little details, findings, membership, agreement are signed.

I posted all this just to show you how we train in the first 5 meetings.

I would love to post pictures, binders, etc on here but first have to ask the only man and because of copyrights, legal documentation he will consult whom ever needs to be consulted (dunno who they are, that's my old man business) and most likely need a signature agreement from site host. How do i know? Well because i already hinted around the subject and went as far as asking him to make a account with this website. Through he shot down the account invitation because of busy schedule he did entertain the other suggestion. So cross your fingers but don't hold your breath.

Why does this thread keep getting bumped? The last post was two days ago :confused:

Anyway - Lana, in some instances I agree with you. There aren't many of Cesar's methods I would use on dogs even those who are aggressive. I own a dog who can be dog aggressive, and like the vast majority of DA dogs he is fear aggressive. Pinning him to the ground and flooding him won't work when it comes to handling his fear aggression.