no bark

ohiohusky

I have a question about huskies talking (bark). My husky doses not bark or do anything. We try to have her do it for a treat but she has a hard time with this. She some times talks back but not often. Is this normal? Just a concern because she was a rescue and my thought is she must have been abused when she did talk. Any advice would be great. Thanks:awink:

yu might just have a quiet one, kiras the same, she'll make a bit of noise while playing but thats it really (except when she was getting used to her crate) i'v tried showing her vids on youtube of noisy huskies but no luck lol.

Sadie does do almost ever thing else husky escape artist, runner, digger, only listens when she feels like it (that drives my husband crazy as our lab always listened and obeyed him) she just gives him "the paw". But the howl or bark not so much and it is so cute when she dose it.

My two very rarely make noises, the only time I can guarantee Myshka WILL be vocal is in the vets, but not cos she's frightened, she runs in, I think it must just be all the smells. The only other time they "speak" is when they see their harnesses being brought in, & sometimes Diesel will welcome you of a morning with a deep rumbling growl, but that's it really.

When I got Cypra, she didn't make a single peep. Not even any noise when she yawned!! I have been working with her every day, anytime she made a noise I praised her and gave her a small treat. Now she is very much a loud mouth when she wants something (haha). It also helped that Kai spoke a lot and it encouraged her to speak. Good luck getting her to speak, I know she can do it! Motivation is the key! :D

me sibe is silent.

She's only barked a couple times and thats when i first got her and she was easily excitable.

Now, the last time she barked was like a week ago when we were playing with her volleyball in the yard. Just a playful bark. and only once.

since then.. nothing.

I have yet to hear her howl.

Mickey was very very quiet when we brought him home. It took him about a year to finally start making some noise. And now he howls and woos with Cheyenne all day. Be careful what you wish for!

Mickey is extremely excited by food so whenever we would feed him we would jump around and say his name all happy and high pitched. When he make noise we go even crazier and he would be given his dinner. Took about 2 months for him to get used to making noise.

I've never heard Garres howl. And he will only talk to us when we are gone for a good portion of the day, and even then it's only when we come home and maybe 2 or 3 little "grumbles" :)

Other than that, he will bark at cats, but only if they are in our yard. And he wont bark long.

I know when I adopted/rescued Garres and went to pick him up, his pack mates barked like crazy, even growling. The owner said they barked at everything and everyone. Garres isn't like that though, and he was silent when I first met him.garres1.jpg garres1.jpg

Pack Leader Lana is the same way. She doesn't talk much at all other than when she is moody. My encounters with Huskies the females are normally quite but the males are talkers. In fact Lana's brother used to talk to my wife all the time. He would talk to me when he wanted to go outside or was hungry. My wife on the other hand, he would talk, and talk , and talk to her all day.

I wouldn't think Sadie was abused just because shes quiet. Everything I've read on the Sibes say that in general they are very quiet relative to just about any other breed. Sadie sounds a lot like my pup Skye, she hardly ever makes a peep. Though I sometimes hear her puppy bark when she REALLY wants to play or she may do her growl howl in the morning. But its still certainly a rarity! I probably howl more than she does - she'll sometimes answer me in the morning but its also a rarity. I'm trying to capture it with treats so I can hear it more often too :).

Ive got the same answer as everyone so no need to worry about the abused thing. Nanook only makes a roughhh roughh sound when he stretches in the morning. He NEVER howls. If i say his name very high pitched over and over he then sort of squeals and then does half a howl... sort of. Scooby is very voacal. Mushu howls when he is left in his cage. Still working on him though!!

Pack Leader: Yes....gosh yes ninooks. I am active duty military and live on base. When we first got Lana and Logan howling was a eye opener for me. Yeah i read that they howl but never experienced it personally from huskies in training. When i first got them home they both howled and howled because they were put in a crate when time for bed. Once night it go so bad the Security Forces (Military Police) knocked on our door 0330. Now there is nothing legally they can do but did ask nicely to attempt to prevent them from howling all night.

This was a completely new situation for me as i have not had to work with members and howling dogs. In fact i could most likely count the members we have had that owned huskies. Didn't want to call my old man because it was so early in the morning. So that same morning my family and I had to run to appointment that the dogs could not go with us. I got two phone calls about Lana and Logan howling non stop.

How did i correct the problem? Well i wasn't too strict on howling because i knew it was separation issues and being in a new home. That night i worked with them and training them not to howl. I did the rewards and praise methods. I must admit they didn't get it down the first couple nights but after a week they got it down. Logan is no longer with us as another family lost his dog and begged for Logan. I wasn't going to do it but when we realized that it might be best (because of my back surgeries) we did give Logan to another family. Now that i am more mobile i want him back but will look for another.

So i dunno if it was just my sibs or this is common with huskies. It completely took me off guard but was good experience or me. My wife on the other hand was getting a little mad so i really had to focus on them howling in the house. Present day Lana does every little howling. She only howls when she is outside at night. Dunno why but she does it sometimes.

oh for the peace n quiet...lol NEO barks talks howls at feed time, play,when some one goes out n he`s left behind ... are girls generally quieter than the boys ???????? HUSKIES i mean !!!!!!! lol

Hahaha!... at home, Nina is the noisy one... she loves to talk specially when I'm on the phone!... Shiloh is very quiet and calm!.... sometimes, if I'm ignoring them, they will get going woooing to try and rattle me... what do I do?... I start woooing right back at them until they shut up, perhaps sadden by my lack of "husky" talent.... thank goddness my only neighbor is actually the police station... and they already know I'm nuts!!... haha!

Nina says "I love you" quite clearly while Shiloh looks on and ignores!... hahaha!

Click here to see Nina saying I love you