Sniffing?

Sarah

Do you let your dog sniff when on walks or do you only allow it in certain areas?

Took my boys out tonight and every lamp post / tree we passed got the once over by my two - now personally, I don't mind this - my view is - they're out on a walk and should sniff to their hearts content, it's how they learn about the world outside.

Reason for this question is that whilst on a walk tonight I saw a man on the other side of the road with a Jack Russell and he wouldn't let him stop even for a spray up a lamp post.

What do you think - should they WALK or Walk and sniff? Or walk to the field or where ever you walk them and THEN sniff?

We try to keep them walking, more because Kahtadin picks up anything and everything and tries to eat it (garbage, leaves, dead animals, etc. Jay had to pry a dead, run-over frog from his mouth the other day! And tonight I had to pry a wet napkin out of Haley's mouth, and then another piece of garbage she managed to find while waiting for a car to pass). If they're in a new area, they sniff a lot, but on their regular walk they usually just go with little sniffing unless they see something ahead that looks interesting. And then we try to get them to continue walking so they don't have time to pick it up and eat it.

We took them to the dog park this past weekend, and took them on a short walk down the walking path before turning them loose in the fenced dog area. They had to stop at just about every tree, rock, sign, etc to sniff, but we think that's due to all the dogs that walked that path before them. Once in the fenced area, they sniffed a little and then played with the other dogs.

OMG Grey will sniff every thing posts, bins you name it he will bloody give it a sniff :rolleyes: I do let him have a sniff at most things but I do have to have a limit or we will never get to where we are going.

Also You have to keep a close eye on Grey as he will pick up anything and eat it and everytime he stops and have a sniff he will have to have a pee up against it. ( Grey must stop every 2 mins to have a sniff and mark with his pee LOL...) :)

I must admit, 90% of the time, when out with them, I see it as their walk - if I wanted a walk round the shops, for example, I'd stop every now & again for a nosey (no, NOT to cock my leg!) so I let the dogs stop & sniff, but if we're going somewhere, they understand the difference between a stroll across the fields for their benefit & a walk down to the vets or wherever as my walk & just keep walking with me with perhaps the odd quick sniff on the move!

I didn't let Bo do this until the past year or so. I found it frustrating to stop at every vertical thing he thought he should sniff and/or mark.

In the past year or so, I've noticed his eyesight is beginning to deteriorate (he'll spot a leaf blowing across the yard and that prey drive kicks in - we must then check to be certain it isn't a bird) He relies more on his nose now, so I've relaxed and hold in my urge to tell him to pass by and now allow him to explore more with his nose.