Looking for a new phone

robke

I am being offered a new phone for my contract, it will be an iphone, now which one is newer / better the iphone 4 or iphone 4s...I know I can surf the interweb but know some of you have an iphone this is more real...

Rob,

I will place myself as the sacraficial pigeon amongst the APPLE Cats by daring to stand up for the Android sector!

My last phone was the Samsung G2 and I was very impressed with it but it succombed to a little sea water, last November, when I popped over to Benidorm to run the half marathon, (I was strolling along the sea front in shorts when the sea splashed my pockets and a little water got into the charger/usb socket)!

I didn't realise that this had happened until later that day but the corrosive action had already started and it ruined the usb port, (but not the charger port).

Anyway, I digress, I have since acquired the Galaxy G3 and this is even better than the G2 with additional features, (some of which may be considered a tad 'gimicky').

From my viewpoint the Apple product is very functional and extreemly reliable and it oozes class whereas the Galaxy will never aspire to the same level of aesthetic prowess but it can equal the functionality of the Apple and in some cases surpass it.

Android does score above Apple in the area of 'customisation' as it is possible to make many changes, (although many people will ask 'why'?), andvthis is Androids achilles heel as this may be the root cause of the odd crash/hang up although I have not experienced any major issues whatsoever!

Regardless of whether you choose Apple or Android I do think that we should all take a step back and just look at the technology we arecall carrying around in our respective pockets as today's phones can undertake so many different tasks as well as communication.

I can now log all of my runs, display pace, top speed, plot my exact route on google earth, take god quality pictures and hd video,play games of such video quality that was only a dream, (in the PC world just a few years ago), use the builtnin Sat Nav to guide me anywhere in the world . . . and the list is endless!

So what ever you finally choose I very much doubt if you will be too dissapointed!!

Thanks for that Martin I did look at the samsung G3 as well, but have chosen the Iphone 4S..just really because that one is free and the G3 I had to pay extra for the phone...I know am a cheapskate....LOLOLOL as long as I am not as dissapointed as I was when I got the HTC Touchpro 2 life will be sweet LOL....

I like my iPhone, I can't imagine having any other phone now. I upgraded from the 4 to the 4s. My only problems are battery, it needs charging daily sometimes I unplug it in the morning (6am) and have to plug it back in by 6 in the evening. Siri isn't always responsive and I filled my 16gb. Next time I'll get a bigger memory :/

4S is the newer one...... Its still rubbish, but its the newer one of the rubbish :P

HAHAHAHA oh well will see when I get it...I like new rubbish...

HAHAHAHA oh well will see when I get it...I like new rubbish...

LOL me too.... Just none with an apple sticker. Seen my brothers and doesnt look any different to my 3gs when I use it. I want new things to be.... well...... new

Do you have everything switched on all the time? Gps / wifi / wireless?

I have wifi on, I switch 3G off in the house to save on data usage out of my plan. I don't use Bluetooth and I clear the apps used once I close them from the memory bar thing. In truth I do use it quite a lot, I rarely go on the computer because I can browse on my phone. Last year we were in Gaucin for five days and it stayed in power although data roaming was switched off the whole time oh but that was the 4 not the 4s.

Ah ok. I read some tech forum somewhere that had most people complaining about battery life on the 4s but also the 4 as well. Oddly, the people with the worst battery life were the ones with everything switched on all the time 'just in case'. Do you need an email alert when asleep or driving? Gps asleep or at your desk? It only takes a moment to switch these off and saves you huge amounts of power. Also, wifi is supposed to use slightly less power than 3G apparently

Okay I am going to give my two cents because I have extensively used blackberries, iphones, AND android phones.

Blackberry as of now:

Lack of apps, super boring as a phone, and not good for someone with giant fingers (can adapt), the phone has a relatively high depreciation value so a year down the road your phone has very little resell value if you plan on selling and buying phones when you want to switch in the future.

iPhone 4 vs 4s as of now:

I wouldn't get an iphone if you want a slightly "longer" version. The iPhone 5 is launching soon, but if you don't care for that you can always get the 4s after the 5 comes out and then it will probably be even cheaper with the carrier. The 4s has crispier graphics and all that fancy "retina" stuff. I personally loved my iphone. But recently I started complaining about the small screen size. It fits in your hand, it literally does everything you want it to and has apps for absolutely everything. Their market is slightly bigger but not much better than the android play store. The iOS is smooth running and when it comes to OS vs all phones, the iPhone 4s has superior software speed not compared to the new quad core phones.I find the androids having a slight milisecond delay between the time you press buttons and the time it opens. The iOS won't feel like you're going to "clog" the phone if you opened too much. The iPhone 4s with extensive use through out the day needs to be charged daily which isn't a problem, just leave it for the night when you sleep. I didn't mind charging my phone every day, because battery life is an obsession, it'll last you. There's not a lot of phones out there that last over a day with extensive use.

Androids:

Gets out dated way too fast, tons of new phones released at the same time, but gets the fastest hardware upgrades (Ex: quad core) but they look really nice :P I recently switched to one, but not because I wanted to part with my 4s, but it broke on me :(

Sorry...I kind of went on a long rant, but based on your needs, there IS a good phone for you :P If you don't know how to use iTunes and to make ringtones for the iPhone and such or customize or jail break, it might be confusing at first. My only complain is the small screen, which is an odd thing to me because I am a person who enjoys reading things in small text because I can xD

Thank you for that info...as I am getting the phone for free I am not going to wait for the IPhone 5 LOL....

looking at the comments and the research I have done the 4s will do what I want it to do for me and my job...