Kimba's Ear - advice needed please

Sarah

Hmmmm, the other day I noticed a patch of skin on the outer bit of Kimba's ear was red and a bit inflamed so i've been bathing it a few times a day with warm salt water.

Tonight i've noticed it's gotten a bit worse so have coated the area in sudocrem (antiseptic healing cream) now i know this is supposed to be for humans but can i also use this on him?

Yeah i know i've already put it on lol but i needed something to create a barrier so it couldn't get any worse and just want to make sure i can put this on again later tonight. It's not hurting him and isn't a cut as such, it looks like a bite or maybe a scratch that i haven't seen and has gotten a bit infected.

I'd rather try some home remedies first rather than take him to the vets tomorrow as he screams blue bloody murder there and snaps at the vet and because of where it is they wont be able to muzzle him either. He's fine with me bathing it and was great when i put the cream on earlier.

Any advice other than the obvious take him to the vets would be good then i can make my mind up :)

here's a pic sorry it's not great, but you can see the cream and the size of the area that it covers

post-4-13585943764342_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks smithy, was hoping i could use the cream, where i walk him it gets rather wet and muddy - or rather he does as he likes a paddle in the stream and if he has this cream on it will act as a barrier to stop the dirty water making it worse.

Kimba cant wait to have more husky hugs from smithy lol

Sudocrem is fine, Alaska had this odd patch of red skin so i put some on for three days and it was all gone. Washing it in warm salty water is a great way to clean and cleanse it, i prefer to use Vaseline if its a cut or something as Vaseline heals and even binds the skin back together >>> when Alaska got attacked and half her ear cut; i cleaned it with salt water and put Vaseline on it and by the time i went to the vets she only needed 1 stitch as appose to 4!!!

To be honest ive been finding little red spots on them and we live in a buggy area..ive got bites ALL over me:s So i spray some anti-bug and mosquito repellent on their back and belly >> only on the hair mind. Bathing in the summer months helps too. Im sure Kimba will be fine but do keep us updated:)

aw, poor Kimba, hope he heals soon, glad it doesn't seem to be bothering him too much.

Vaseline is a barrier cream (use it in hairdressers to stop hair colour staining skin) so is very effective if Kimba likes scuba diving in every puddle! Sudocrem is a good healer too, & where the cream is, he's not likely to get it on his paws & lick it, so either should do the trick.

Good advice from everyone, reps added accordingly! Paws crossed this does the trick, husky hugs from Myshka & Diesel, xxxx

I use savlon cream cause its a antiseptic cream and also moisturise's the skin and keeps it from getting infected. I know it doesnt say anything that about using on pets but this does work. When our koda got attacked i rubbed this in his wounds and healed great so..

Aw hope it clears up soon! Koda and Zikka are forever getting dry skin in their ears, not in the same place as yours, and not as aggressive looking either.

I went to Pets at Home and got a dog skin cleansing cream that has aloe vera in it. We have found this to work a treat, it was only a couple of quid aswell! It seemes to but a barrier on it for when they are rolling round in god knows what!

I have also used Savalon like John suggested.

However the best thing I have found is to let the other dog clean it! They are always cleaning eachothers ears and it does the trick!!

Hope this saves you an expensive trip to the vets!

Becki

it looks like a scratch mark, either Kimba caught it himself, or Kaiser when they've been playing. You're doing everything you can for him, I'd give it till Mon / Tues carrying on salt water cleaning & cream to protect & if not noticably better, call the vets & ask the receptionist (or call in if nearby) & explain what's there & see if they can give you something, save paying for a vet check as well.

hmmmm..maybe he cought it in a play fight with Kaiser?? Aloe vera is great but you can get the real stuff for dead cheap and its way more affective, when i get my eye brows waxed i go really really red :S so they give me aloe vera gel but nothing beats the real stuff.

http://consejo.bz/belize/images/bushmed/aloe.jpg

I get 1 leaf for about 1.50 for a huge leaf