still snappy

Hey all! I just had a question about Pongo being snippy. I know it's normal for a puppy to bite a lot and it has slowed down a bit. I'm just getting concerned because he seems to still do it when people try to pet him. He just wants to turn and chew on your fingers. I was just hoping that he won't continue to do this when he's an adult and hurt someone. At about what age does this behavior go away? He does listen when you say "no bite" but then soon forgets and goes and does it again.

Also I've noticed that sometimes he gets carried away and starts jumping up at me and snapping while we're in the yard. Any suggestions for this too?

Hi what training are you doing to stop his biting at home? is there anyway u can incorporate this when ur outside do u make him sit 1st when ppl want 2 stroke him maybe if u ask them 2 stroke his back instead ov his head? sorry i cnt rly help ive never had this problem hope u get it sorted tho :)

A mouthy dog can be a problem that can escalate to biting if not handled properly. Mouthing can be defensive or play related – each should be addressed differently. The first step is to teach the pup that it can hurt you with its teeth. You've probably seen a group of pups playing and one yelp, as if to say ouch. And the one doing the biting stops.

You can teach your pup to stop in a similar manner...when he bites, say "ouch" like you mean it, even if you aren't hurt. If you're playing with the pup and he bites, you should use "ouch" and stop playing immediately.

You can also work with the dog during food exercises. My Bo understands that if I'm holding out a treat and he uses his teeth, he won't get it. I use the command "nice" in this instance.

Over time, you'll notice the dog will be more gentle with his teeth.

He is 3 months and 5 days now.

We currently shut his mouth and say no bite and do the yelping thing. He gets the idea and backs away but a few minutes later he continues to do it. The only time he really doesn't get snippy and will let you pet his head is when he's sleepy. Does this go away with age?

oh he's still a baby...if he is stopping when you say no...the reason he forgets is because he has a short attention span. just continue what you are doing and over time the attention span will increase meaning he will remember biting is not good...a couple months and he should be ok...just be consistent.

What Ade said is what we did with Alaska >> we held her mouth and said no! However before this stage we encouraged it so we could teach her bite inhabition 1st >> so the yelping thing >> Do it really loud and high pitched to startle him...i doubt he'll come back if you scare him. After this Alaska liked to put our hands gently in her mouth when having a tummy rub at about 4 months BUT we put a stop to it and she was a very quick learner. I think its a male thing as Balto can get very carried away, jump up and mouth and hes 1 yr >> outside in the garden he doesn't seem to listen to my mum either >> training him now is the best thing you could have done. He must be handled by all types of people, do not tolerate him snapping...maybe in the garden you could dice some cheese and get a friend to stroke him all over >> give him the cheese as your friend pets him. When he snaps, jumps up or anything you dont like you have to be very quick and say: "HEY" or "NO" >> pick him up and let his hind legs dangle (not upside down lol) >> When Alaska whood and barked at training i was told to this...they dont like it and she stopped after a while. Puppy classes are always helpful too;)

Good Luck and keep us posted.

I did the yelping thing with Kremlin and it worked. Everytime he bit me, I would yelp and then stop playing for 2 minutes or remove him from the room. Now he always avoids our hands in his mouth and each time he wants to play he starts poking us with his nose instead of biting. Unfortunately, my dad didn't care too much about being his hands being chewed so now Kremlin only chews his hands. In fact, this ignoration method pretty much works for most of his unwanted behaviours, he just hates it!!

Great links! Thanks! I think I'll try the lemon juice or apple spray on the hands. This way he will definitely not like biting. He seems to be getting better with me, but my husband is another story. When he comes home from work, Pongo is so excited and gets a little carried away and either bites his hand or his foot. My huband yells "OW!" and Pongo backs away. But again he forgets about 1 min later about the no biting, so lemon juice may be the trick. Thanks so much for the great info!!