what a morning

Lavs

oh my gosh. so i work at a daycare and we recently got 4 new toddlers. thats fine. one of them never ever EVER stops crying and she cries so loud if you are holding her it legitimately hurts your ears. She cries when shes sitting she cries when shes standing she cries at snack and mealtime she cries at naptime she cries to be held then when you pick her up she still cries. all she does is cry cry cry. today we had a supply staff in with me this morn and she did absolutely nothing to help me deal with the children. the one little girl was screaming so loud i thought my very last speck of patience was about to go...so frustrating. to top it all off i got chewed out yesterday because i wasn't picking up this one child, who when you don't pick her up not only does she cry extremely loud but also pinches and slaps you which I was trying not to encourage by giving her what she wants. Once she is picked up you can't put her down, and you can't pay attention to any other children or any other tasks you are responsible for without her deafening you with her shreiking cry. it's so lose lose, my patience for that and my desire to have children seems to be gone....

oh and just for clarification purposes, i didn't go into the field of childcare because i dislike children lol. some parents sometimes make the staff out to be cold, but i firmly believe it is inappropriate to encourage negative behaviours, so that is why i try to avoid picking her up, only because if she always gets her way it will be more difficult to break this later. i've worked with children who have bit me, slapped me, called me words i didn't learn til i was a teenager (and this specific child was 4yrs old) and once almost got my nose broken by a child. pretty much the most patient person when it comes to kids, but some things i just can't handle...

One of the pleasant things about being a bachelor is that I don't have to put up with childish behaviour - from adults or children! My nieces and nephews are all old enough that they are generally good company when I get to see them which isn't too often ( or often enough )

I am not good - and that's an understatement - with screaming kids! I'd walk out and never even look back.

Those of you who work in childcare / teaching professions have my utmost respect 'cause I don't see how you do it!!!

:grouphug:

What are the other members of staff doing? They should be taking turns to give you a break. Settling young children into a new environment can be exhausting and testing for the best of us. Supposed to be part of a team and support your colleages. Not dump it all on them! Is your boss in ratio? If not then perhaps they've lost touch with how things are?

Ugh. This is why I don't want to be a parent.

I've volunteered at a day care before (for school community service hours) and...I HATED every moment of it! The kids were terrors, both annoying and...argh. It was only for 3 days (7 hours each day after I finished with my school day) but still.

Know that you are a hero in my eyes. You're doing a necessary job that I can't even begin to imagine having the patience for! And to have to deal with spoiled children.... even worse! I like to think of you not so much as a childcare provider, but as child wrangler.

and another for the record, we are always on ratio lol. also my boss is saying from a parent perspective, which i don't have so therefore I have to depend on someone else's P.O.V for that. I get it that if a parent walked in and thought i was refusing to comfort a child then yes, it would be something to question, but really it ain't like that! lol

Naughty corner! I love the word naughty but apparently you can't tell children they're naughty anymore... !!????

How about, that's UNACCEPTABLE!

I really feel for you, you're expected to parent but not allowed to parent. Very very difficult.

Naughty corner! I love the word naughty but apparently you can't tell children they're naughty anymore... !!????

How about, that's UNACCEPTABLE!

I really feel for you, you're expected to parent but not allowed to parent. Very very difficult.

my thoughts on discapline...coming from most of my experience working with "children with exceptionalities"

1) if the child forgets manners, i force the issue

2) if the child refuses to do a simple task when asked (ie- wash your hands before you sit for lunch) i wait for what i've asked. if you don't wash your hands, you don't get lunch (always been no more than a threat, never have i had child hold out that long and miss their meal)

3) if your having a hissy fit, i wait until you are done, then we talk about it.

4) always expected to "use your words" to resolve conflict, no screaming or whining is accepted.

5) my catch phrase "if hands are hitting, bums will be sitting" time out until you are ready to apologize and promise to use your gentle hands.

i dont think im too harsh, i just have high expectations of children and i believe all these things i ask are very reasonable for children ages 1-4 that i work with.