Windows 8 Screenshots

Marc

Thought some of you might want to see what the early version of windows 8 looks like. Im personally finding it a little odd as its a big change from the norm (no start menu for example) but only time will tell I guess. For now Im gonna reserve judgement.

post-9324-1388079475676_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-62112500-1388081789_thumb.jpg

post-2355-0-86120600-1388082818_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-23233400-1388082825_thumb.jp

post-1-13586023526075_thumb.png

post-1-13586023527798_thumb.png

post-1-13586023529475_thumb.png

post-1-13586023530805_thumb.png

post-1-13586023532066_thumb.png

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't like change. I'm still using vista. Boooo to windows 8!

Vista to anything is an upgrade ... Terrible operating system which was basically windows 7 beta

Different, but kind of famailier if you have ever used a Win7 phone. Which I guess is MSofts survival tactic now

Windows 7 I actually like tbh. But Im all up for change if they do it right. At the moment though just feels to much like I need a touch screen that I dont want.

hmmmm not sure about it yet, will have to have a go..

Do believe you may find this handy ;)

http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/desktop_virtualization/player/overview.html

When downloading if your using the above then get x86 iso version of the windows preview. Also when you set up your new virtual PC it will ask you for OS disk, chose none after which you can then load the iso as if you put the disk in the drive and boot to the install as normal

Marc I downloaded the first public release and after less than an hour I wiped it - not stable enough for me then, I don't think it stayed up even 10 minutes without locking up. Have they improved the stability yet?

Some comments I've heard are that it's just Windows 7 with a new cover, care to comment on that??

I'm still using XP pro. I hate the new operating systems for Windows, and I even have Windows 7 on my Mac right now. It's so slow, and to me...their dashboard 'feature' is a complete rip-off of what OSX accomplished years ago.

Ugh. Gag. Why did they get rid of the start button!? That's been a classic Windows thing since...since...Windows 95!

Give me a Mac, however... (okay, sorry sorry...I'll stop there! :P )

I have nothing against redesigns (it's about time for Windows!) but it looks like it shares similarities with Gnome-shell which am slowly starting to hate! It's so annoying to have all your "tasks" squished on the side of your screen, especially with dual screens.

However, don't get me wrong though. I do honestly hope Microsoft is making something good here. For two reasons: First, if it's working properly it would mean less people screaming over the phone at me because their "computer stopped working" (aka a random button has moved). Secondly, I hope it inspires the open source community to write better desktop environments because the current path they've seen to have entered is looking downright awful (Yes, I'm talking to you Gnome3 and Unity!).

Ugh. Gag. Why did they get rid of the start button!? That's been a classic Windows thing since...since...Windows 95!

I can see certain people becoming confused how to shut down their computer! I mean, it has always been the "Start" button to close the computer :lolman:

After they started releasing their phones, I had a feeling that their next OS was going to be tile based. Well...I bet they'll be able to to polish it to feel good with a regular mouse.

Then again I have total envy over those big touch screen computers, I wouldn't need a tablet or high quality gaming mice with their stupid gaming pads and a million other peripherals. <_<

I don't like the fact there's no start button... When I am on my computer, I don't like to feel like I'm on my phone!

Overall, I am not sure how I feel about it. Maybe it will be a good OS, remains to be seen. But I am not a huge fan of that type of design.

I have Vista on my computer and although it is slower than Windows 7 (I have a friend that has an identical laptop, but with Windows 7), I still think it's a reliable OS. It's been on this computer for 3 years and it's working just fine, which is why I never bothered to upgrade it.

I can see certain people becoming confused how to shut down their computer! I mean, it has always been the "Start" button to close the computer :lolman:

Ever since Vista users have had issues shutting their PCs down properly ;)

Vista to anything is an upgrade ... Terrible operating system which was basically windows 7 beta

Windows 7 I actually like tbh. But Im all up for change if they do it right. At the moment though just feels to much like I need a touch screen that I dont want.

Exactly, overall look to the MS OS at last, covers smartphones, tablets and PCs now. Or will do when it comes out.

Different, but kind of famailier if you have ever used a Win7 phone. Which I guess is MSofts survival tactic now

Absolutley right. This looks like lots of apps open on an Iphone.Are they trying to make it look familiar so that the new windows phone is "Familiar"?? there for selling more

I started on Windows 3.1 as a forced convert from DOS. There are days I think we'd have bee better off staying with DOS!!!

I was told that you can do away with the tablet appearance and get the regular menu back ... guess I'll have to download the current and see how it looks now!

Marc I downloaded the first public release and after less than an hour I wiped it - not stable enough for me then, I don't think it stayed up even 10 minutes without locking up. Have they improved the stability yet?

Some comments I've heard are that it's just Windows 7 with a new cover, care to comment on that??

Does seem relatively stable, and yeah it is basically windows 7 with a new cover, no start menu, and some extras.

You will be happy to know you no longer click on start, to stop LOL ... You now click on setup, shutdown LOL

I really hate the Tiles on Windows 8 but the system is much faster than Windows 7. I am still in reserve as to if I will change or not.

Interesting to hear that to be honest. As Im running it on vmware I cant really get a true view of its performance

I had a spare hard drive and installed it on that to get a better view of its performance.

Couldnt even do that and get a true view tbh as Im currently on a raid stripe which makes a big impact. Could probably partition if I moved some stuff around, but not worth the messing around at this stage

Couldnt even do that and get a true view tbh as Im currently on a raid stripe which makes a big impact. Could probably partition if I moved some stuff around, but not worth the messing around at this stage

Meh it still has some fine tuning to go anywho, I done even boot into the other OS now anyways ;) Back on my OS7 as I said Tiles is a no go for me it's retarded for a desktop.