Is Isis too skinny?

Alex T

Having weighed Isis the other day she is know weighing in at 21kg (not sure what that is in lbs), but often look at her and think 'Omg she looks under weight'. Depending on how she is lieing/ sitting depends on wether or not you can feel her ribs.

If you look at the pics below you may be able to make out what i mean about her looking skinny!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can't see any pics..

But feeling ribs is not necessarily a bad thing if there is a layer of fat over them, this could be a thin layer.

Would need to see pics but then again don't know loads about Husky's as just fostering our first. Luna is a "little bit" but seems in proportion so we'll just go by our gut instincts....

xx

I wouldn't worry, generally you shouldn't be able to see the ribs, but should be able to feel them.

I think that maybe we've gone the same way with our dogs as we have ourselves, and most of the dog population is overweight. Maybe you're so used to seeing overweight dogs, without realising it, that you think she's too skinny. She also has her summer coat at the moment, which I think always makes a difference with sibes.

Well, Kremlin is 20 kg at 9 months... The vet said he looked ok for his age and that we shouldn't worry.

We get a lot of comments though from people who ask "omg, why is he so thin?" or "shouldn't he be fatter?", but I don't think he is that thin. Maybe I'm too used to him. I wouldn't worry about Isis, I heard that many huskies don't fill out until they're older.

Oh no dont worry, she looks fine, dont forget until their 2 years they can be lean little things. Just take a look at Balto, i have people say to me, "he could do with gaining a few!" Actually he weighs 25.2kg:

[ATTACH]2325.IPB[/ATTACH]

Alaska is the underweight one, 2 weeks ago weighing 17kg (at 1yrs) now she weighs 19kg:

[ATTACH]2326.IPB[/ATTACH]

Also it is healthy to be able to see the last two ribs but not the grooves between them, Alaska can look really skinny sometimes and other times looks like a fatty, check it out! Took this yestaday!

Okay cant upload it but she looks like a right muncher lolz

post-126-13585943629145_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943629859_thumb.jpg

I can see your pics now ;) and I think she look fine to me!!! :D I find that sometimes the way Grey can be standing or sitting he too looks a bit on the thin side but as long as your vet says everything is fine then I really wouldnt stress!! I think everyone at some point has thought there sibe looks like they need more fat on them.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but having seen the pic of Alaska up a tree, I've just been in correspondence with Ice and Cripton, cos I recognised the tree. My dogs used to climb it, and I have photos to prove it, but seriously, what does that say about me, recognising a tree in London???? Anal, moi? never.

HAHA dont get me going me again LOLOL It barely shows any branches snggffff....how many years ago was it.....(luaghing whilst typing) ...?

More years than I care to remember. Errrr, about 12-13 years ago? Now in my defence, I took photos of the dogs in the tree, and put them into little books that I wrote about the dogs for my nephew and niece.

Need

a

quiet

dark

room