Strange behaviour

Sarah

Hmmmm, took my boys out for a walk tonight with Marc, we were out for about 45 mins and then called into see my grandad on the way back, for a coffee and a chat.

I don't normally take my boys there as he lives on his own with grandma passing and is in a bungalow. My boys were so scared!! I've never seen them like that before they both had their tales between their legs and were bouncing backwards when ever he tried to walk past them :(

It took Kimba about 20 mins to settle down and even then he was still unsure. I sat next to my grandad and he came to me and was desperate for strokes.....as though he wanted reassuring ?? My grandad is such a lovely man and has owned dogs all his life (although he doesn't have any now as is virtually house bound) and loves my boys to bits. Eventually, Kimba walked up to him cautiously and licked his hands then put his paws on his lap wanting attention but his body language was all off, as though he wanted attention but was scared :confused:

Kaiser on the other hand wouldn't entertain him at all. He wouldn't even walk past him when i was offering him a biscuit :eek: A few times i even caught him growling so I tugged lightly on his harness and made a CH noise which stopped him.

Any ideas why they behaved like this - they have ALWAYS been fantastic with people as those who met them on the meet ups will know, they are so loving and bouncy and playful.

I want to make sure if this happens again I correct the right behaviour i suppose and dont do the wrong thing as I would hate to unknowingly re enforce whatever fear it is that they have.

Thanks in advance for your replies ;)

Ooooh my moms dog acts in a similar manner to my uncle when he visits my mom - even though hes visited every week since she was a pup and hes never done anything to her, but she is so unsure of him. My mom jnow just ignores her behaviour and will often put her outside for a few minutes when he first arrives.

Not sure what to suggest - but would be interested in the responses!

Maybe it was something about the house that spooked them, it could be as simple as a different smell or a sound that they heard that made them uncomfortable. As strange as it sounds, your grandfather could have a smell on him that makes them uncomfortable too.

It's a tricky situation because correcting them or punishing them when they are that scared can reinforce their fear, as much as comforting and giving them treats can. I would probably be inclined ignore them and reward them for calm behaviour.

I think it was most prob a sound or smell that scared them a little but Dogs are great for picking up sences so maybe nix was right they could be picking up on your grandma's spirit.

Maybe you should try and bring them over to your Grandad's more often cause if he had Dogs on and off through his life then I bet he prob loves the company of Kimba & Kaiser and then that way it will get them to know the place a little better and maybe not feel so scared. :)

I dont want to freak you out but the week befor my Nan died the cat we had where I was living was acting very strange and wouldnt leave me alone it was always wanting attention and kept crying and was on my lap all the time and this was very unlike this cat and later that week when I found out my nan died the cat stopped.

I really think the cat was trying to tell me somthing cause people do say animals pick up on things and if its true then I think thats what the cat was trying to do!! (or just being a crabby cat for that week)

so maybe Kimba & Kiaser was trying to tell you they feel your grandma's spirt around.

Sorry hope I havnt freaked or scared anyone :) I could be so wrong!!!

Sarah, how often have the boys been there before? How did your Grandad interact with them? something unnerved them, but I agree with the others, it seems a certain sound or smell could be enough to affect 1 & you know that packs stick together! Try taking them there again soon & see if they are any more relaxed .... what a funny pair!

Well don't want to spook you or anything, and I know alot of people will go bah rubbish man BUT, if you remember when you came round here Kimba was crying at the living room door (at apparently nothing) well when you went strange things started happening in the downstairs toilet (which is behind said door). Every time we went in we closed the lids, then the next person went in BOTH lids were up:eek: this happened about 3 times, I even checked the seat to see if you had planted something to get your own back, but nowt. So what was it Kimba was crying at???

Sarah, how often have the boys been there before? How did your Grandad interact with them? something unnerved them, but I agree with the others, it seems a certain sound or smell could be enough to affect 1 & you know that packs stick together! Try taking them there again soon & see if they are any more relaxed .... what a funny pair!

They've only been there twice, he's been so poorly and is on oxygen 18 hours a day so was always worried about taking them in case they knocked his cylander over or jumped on him or something. He's gotten a lot better in the last 3 months and after wearing them out on a walk last night I though it would be safer taken them when they were tired.

When i got there i let myself and shouted to him so he knew i was there. when we walked into the front room (i had both boys) he was standing up to greet us, they walked over to him stopped and jumped back a mile! He held his hand out and kimba went over for a sniff but backed right off again - kaiser just wouldn't entertain going near him.

i will take them back again next week and see if they're any better on the next visit - fingers crossed

Well don't want to spook you or anything, and I know alot of people will go bah rubbish man BUT, if you remember when you came round here Kimba was crying at the living room door (at apparently nothing) well when you went strange things started happening in the downstairs toilet (which is behind said door). Every time we went in we closed the lids, then the next person went in BOTH lids were up:eek: this happened about 3 times, I even checked the seat to see if you had planted something to get your own back, but nowt. So what was it Kimba was crying at???

OMG that is soooo spooky!! Yes, he was making his little squeaking crying noise at the door - i remember.

And no, I didn't booby trap your house..... although .................lmao

Maybe your right Mary, maybe he's sensing my grandma's ghost / presents - that doesn't scare me though so don't worry :) I think it's nice that they're around after they've passed on

OMG Sarah thats so creepy, Alaska does the same with my grandad, she growls and whoo's, she even bared her teeth once. Her body language was all off too, tail (not between her legs) but curved, she looked at him in a very suspicious manner. There is something that really spooks her about him, i finally got her to take a treat of him but she was still funny after that >> she wouldn't leave me either, when i went to my grandparents bungalow she stuck to me like glue!! Weird huh?

sometimes, the way older people shuffle about and sort of walk in a hunched over manner makes dogs nervous. The arthritic stiffness that older people have makes them walk and move in a more unatural way that dogs dont understand. i know it makes my dog and the last dog i owned quit nervous.

they dont understand why they are moving like that and it freaks them out. it could just be that simple. body language has TONS to do with how we communicate with dogs.

Even if they dont shuffle or hunch over, older people tend to walk more stiffened up. Their joints and muscles arent as flexible and they stiffen up when they move about or go to pet a dog. Dogs that arent used to it see this as tense behavior and they tense up in response to it.

On a more funny note LOL:ran_biggrin: > maybe sibes just dont like that old people smell (only joking guys!! :P)

If I was Grey I would rather the smell of old people any day over the smell of Tony's farts & feet LOL (only joking babe!!)

Sorry im in such a cheeky mood!!

Mary! Poor Tony getting picked on!! :rolleyes::P

Sarah, have you tried the boys again round at your Grandad's yet? I know Myshka can offend people by walking away in the middle of being patted if they have nothing for her, but I hope your Grandad wasn't offended by their funny reaction! Maybe, as Mary suggested, your Nan is keeping a careful eye in the house & the boys picked up on her presence - how interesting!

Mary! Poor Tony getting picked on!! :rolleyes::P

Sarah, have you tried the boys again round at your Grandad's yet? I know Myshka can offend people by walking away in the middle of being patted if they have nothing for her, but I hope your Grandad wasn't offended by their funny reaction! Maybe, as Mary suggested, your Nan is keeping a careful eye in the house & the boys picked up on her presence - how interesting!

not yet, going up again with them next week so will keep you posted :)

No he wasn't offended, we just acted as though they were like that so as not to hurt his feelings.

In a way it would be nice to think my Grandma is there even if she did spook my boys it's nice to think she's still around :)

I am now in the Dog house with Tony cause I wrote about his smelly feet & farts :shot:

he he ha ha LOL

LMAO ahh well i'm sure he'll get over it lol

Dont think i should!:mad: as she will be all nice to me a week Tuesday when she wants money off me to get this ring she is after:bootyshake:...... well unless things change she can go jump! she has a week to make it up to me:087: Otherwise i will Bad Rep her to teach her lesson :crazydance:....LOL....

Na we still egaged not getting married yet but he is treating me to a ring I am after in swarovski and I cant wait!!!!!!!!! So as soon as he gets in Tuesday Im off down to oxford street WOOHOO ........... :laola: I would like to say if anyone on here works for swarovski I bloody love your shop!!!!!!!

hail for swarovski :bowdown:

Just read this, I was going to say they've sensed or seen gran or (don't want to worry you) they have sensed something about grandad (dogs can predict epileptic seizures, detect diabetes, cancer, heart attacks and other conditions). Then I read that he is unwell. I hope it's nothing like that, I don't know what his illness is but I have read that dogs can detect chemical changes in people.