Urban foxes (UK); something odd happening?

i dont usually hear them but im a night owl and when i go out front i usually see one or two havent seen any december 2011/jan 2012 which i think it strange as ive seen them for the last 5 years x

We have a family of foxes (3) who are the plague in the early hours of a Tuesday morning selecting their tasty morsels from the rubbish bags that have been left out and the boys want to go out and investigate. The foxes even know the houses where the best delicacies are! However, you're right I haven't heard them barking at each other recently either.

The strange thing that is puzzling me is the amount of dead foxes that are on the roads near me. Its not just the odd one but 3 or 4 together as though they have been dumped there. Now it's happening with the Badgers:jawdrop: W T F is going on...........Ron

Our local foxes are as active as usual and their blood-curdling screams have been right on schedule.

Bet that's interesting come Halloween seeing as you're so close to a graveyard!!!

A friend lives in rural Wales and she has spoken of how local farmers kill badgers and then run them over on the road to make it look like they're road kill when in reality they have been killed by the farmer. The profit margins for farmers is becoming less and less unfortunately and many farmers are struggling. Probably happening elsewhere in the UK as well. Could this be a similar thing for foxes as their numbers are increasing and breeders of pheasant and partridge are complaining about the increasing numbers due to it now being illegal to cub hunt (young foxes) and fox hunt. Not that I support fox hunting.

Bet that's interesting come Halloween seeing as you're so close to a graveyard!!!

Definitely! There is a large Polish community in Ealing (since the 1940's, not the more recent arrivals) and "our" graveyard seems to be their resting place of choice. Each year on All Hallows Eve, the relatives leave candles on their loved ones' headstones, so there are flickering lights everywhere you look! Very spooky - especially if it is foggy and the foxes are screaming!!! When we first moved here 15 years ago, we thought there were weird satanic rituals going on the first time we saw the lights!

Okay; what I'm getting from some members on here is that ususal fox activity for Dec/Jan isn't happening in some places. (Same here in Surrey.)

It might be that the little ones were born later in the spring 2011 season, or there has been a delay in mating owing to the milder weather. I have no idea which but would be interested in keeping this thread going in order to try and monitor what is going on.

I was woken up at 3am one day last week with 2 young fox's that had got stuck in the garden. They come in from next doors garden as it is raised but then have quite a drop into ours. The cubs must have realized they could not climb the fence to get back out so the blood curdling screams they make woke me. I left it half an hour hoping they would learn to get out but to no avail. I then had to get up and go into the garden , open the gate, and try to usher them towards it. They decided it was a good idea to curl up with each other at the bottom of the garden and nothing was gonna move them ! lol. I managed to coax one of them with a broom handle ( nasty little buggars they can be ) and eventually got them to run through the gate after about half hour trying. THEN I was wide awake. Saw the funny side in the morning but was mad as hell in the early hours.:mad:

• 3 weeks later...

Used to hear foxes regualry where I live up until the last few years. I think it's all recent housing developments going up that has moved them on or worse still killed them off.

I don't hear the owls much either come to think of it.

Being in the Valleys I'm not really Urban or rural though ;)

Used to hear foxes regualry where I live up until the last few years. I think it's all recent housing developments going up that has moved them on or worse still killed them off.

I don't hear the owls much either come to think of it.

Being in the Valleys I'm not really Urban or rural though ;)

Kind thanks for keeping this thread updated!

I think wheelie bins are to blame! (Not that I advocate a return to the older style bins.)

When we had a smattering of snow recently, I realised that we have a 'resident' fox so I've been leaving some of our left overs out for him each evening.

What a result: almost everything gets eaten - except for a few green beans.:D

I am a bit worried to hear Ron post about the plight of the badger as well. Very worrying.

It never occured to me before that the Vixen would only be calling around December time. Horrible sound though! First time I heard one I thought I was going to see some nasty mutilated run over cat kind of thing in the middle of the road when I looked out the window.

:doglaugh:

Funny you should say that; foxes have a lot of feline 'quirks', despite their 'doggy' appearance.