Curious hiding/stashing of treats

george

I thought I would share with you guys this curious behavior Maya developed last month and see if you have seen it

For awhile now, whenever we give Maya treats (those teeth cleaning bones) - she will no longer eat them right away she will slow slink away as if hiding or trying to "blend in" and she will stand in a corner until no one is looking at her, then she will walk around the house with her head low to the ground and place her treat in some kind of hard to find place like in the couch cushions, in my daughters toy box, or even behind the toilet! (gross!)

I suppose this is part of the instincts that develop as they get older, because we have no other dogs (yet, soon!) and she just started doing it. I just thought it was interesting that she does this inside instead of out.

It's actually very funny my wife and I both followed her around yesterday and if you're looking she'll just sit with her back to you trying to look innocent, she will not stash the bone if you're looking.

my boy bings does this i put it down 2 him once being a stray tho so having to hide his food from other animals stealing it specially as he does it alot more since we got blaze - its quite funny when he does it cuz he isnt very good at hiding it alot ov the time so if i look over 2 where hes hid it n say bings i can still see it he goes n hides it sumwhere else lol

When we first got Grey he went through a stage of trying to dig up the carpet in the corner of room to hide his treats. Its very normal for them to do this and very funny to find hidden treats around your home no matter how the strange the place they are hidden :rolleyes::D

Our last Husky, Elke, did this with socks from the clothes hamper. She's been gone a liitle over a year now, and I found some socks in behind a chair in the living room last week. She also did it with chew toys. Zoya, who will be 1 year old in a few days, does this all the time with chew toys. But not with treats. I think it's fairly common. Huskies you know, can be deceptive. The funny thing is, they are so good at it, that we sometimes don't realize what's happened until much later.

My mums dog, Rusty, used to do this at our old house/cottage. We found treats in all sorts of places, errrrm let me think:

there was treats found:

under the cushions

just under the oven

behind the bin

behind the display units

wedged in between the sofa cushion things

and a very weird place - in the cupboards (how they got there I will never know as he only a small dog!)