Food

Sarah

What do you feed your Siberian Husky?

Kimba has dried "Burns" food and a raw hide chew every other day, having said that he also loved peanut butter in his kong ball as an extra treat.

I've read about feeding cooked meals to them - meats etc would be interested to know if many people do this and how cost effective it is?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you know if you got a husky how delicte there stomach can be and after owning a husky for 4 years now here is my advice...

IF and i mean IF you find the right food for your dog ( it agrees with them and they dont get the shits ) keep them on it for good, reason its not fair on the dog for you to keep chaging it all the time.

E.G you have chicken for tea and you think my dog might like that yeah couse they will but what happens tommrrow when you have a kabbab or a currie you gonna give it that NO YOUR NOT so do you cook speperate food for your dog NO YOUR NOT so the next thing that happens is your dog wont eat it thiks fuk that dry food I want the chicken you give me yesterday or better still give me some of that kabbab i'll eat anything you know :eek:

You are doing the right thing now Sarah dont fall for it like we did in the early time with Saskia its not fair on them and in my oppinion its cruelty.

P.S never over feed your husky they only get the shits lol

Sorry I sound like ranting but think it need to be said.

totally agree, when we first got Kimba he had the squits quite a bit no matter how little we fed him, the dried food he's on now really works for him and we're sticking with it.

The only time we've fed him anything different is when he's had a dicky tummy - one time he ate a stocking and was quite poorly so I starved him and then fed him boiled chicken and rice and it settled him down.

I don't think it's a good idea feeding any dog, especially a husky "human food" it can't be good for them.

lol, me and my stepson had pizza for tea on Friday night and Kimba stole a slice before I could get up from the sofa he had gulped it down! pig lol luckily, he wasn't poorly from it but he's always desperate for food, every time a make a brew, open the fridge for the milk - he's sat there waiting for somthing! cheeky bugger :P

• 3 weeks later...

Zak has dry complete food normally whatever is on offer at pets at home, he also has his training treats and if he can he will stand near the kids if they have sausage rolls normally one of them will give in to him we have been lucky with his tummy tho only a couple of upsets. (Touch wood)

Stacy x

We feed Lex BETA chicken and rice he has been on them since he was a pup it is what the breeder fed him on so we thought it works for him as a pup we won't change a thing. He has had the squits a couple of times but nothing major. He went through a spurt of unpotting all of our plants and replanting them somewhere else and we think he may have eaten some soil so that could be what did it. Thankfully he has come out of that stage now. I bought him a kong the other month and i didn't know what to put in it so i just put some of his usual BETA food in it and he loved it i think he loved the fact that when he pushed it hard enough with his nose something fell out of it lol oh to be a dog and be so amused at something like that humans would think god thats like too much hard work having to push that around to get the treat out forget that lol

i feed all mine on james wellbeloved turkey and rice kibble and chicken mince ( cooked ) they are all fine with it but we have to watch koda ,to much and he gets squity but a couple of days of pro-kolin paste and he is fine. raw hide chews can give them acid stomachs , it happened to us we dont give our sibs them now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bo is fed 'TASTE OF THE WILD' -- no grain or fillers. It is a higher protein food and for a dog his age, I have to keep a constant watch on his weight. Because he isn't very active anymore, the high protein tends to put weight on him which is not good for his arthritis.

I also watch for hot spots and ear infections as too much protein can have that effect in addition to weight gain.

Because I'm a meat cutter I have affortable acsess to raw meat,I give sakora, oregen kibble( which her bowl is always full) I do free feeding! as well as every couple of days she gets raw (Bison, Beef heart kidneys,Sirloin steak,) but i dont over do it about 1 cup, Not saying that it works for all dogs but shes never had the shits yet! and I like that she can have a full bowl of food and doesnt scarf it all down, as for trats I always have a batch of home made tuna fuges in the fridge, as well as raw beef femur bones

mine have been fed on raw/ barf since after i had them a month or so, and touch wood, have had no probs. i order it from a company that delivers and now that i have reduced their intake a bit as they were getting a little podgy, i'd say i will be spending around 45 quid every 6-8 weeks. they love to knaw on a bone, have great sharp teeth with little to no plaque, firm poos unless they have had too much beef. and i add glucosamine and green lipped mussel tablets to it daily due to reno having a bad leg a while ago.

Like Jo (above) ours are fed on Best Choice dry food, plus occasional raw chicken wings. During the winter, when we are working them in harness, they are on the Performance Grade. During the warmer months they are on the Maintenance Grade kibble.

One of the problems we find with dogs coming into rescue (especially those which have been given up as being uncontrollable) is that they are often on a very high protein food, totally inappropriate for their level of activity. When we cut down the protein level of their food, they often calm down considerably. Siberians have an incredibly efficient metabolism, and unless they are into serious working, they don't need high protein food. After all, these are dogs which often worked day in and day out in sub-arctic conditions on little more than scraps of seal blubber.

Mick

im a full time barfer

my dogs dont get any kibble or dog food at all just good old fashioned raw meaty bones fresh friut and veg.

its so much cheaper , keeps them nice and firm and thier coats are amazing.

Yep me too. I would never cook meat to feed as part of their diet, as it is much more nutritional to feed it raw.

I do incorporate offal, yoghurt and tins of sardines into their diet as well as raw meat, bones and vegies.