New Husky Owner

Hello. I am a new Husky owner from the north east states... Geno is a 13 week old male. Black and white with a red tint, and a zorro type mask and markings. He is my first dog however I have been around many dogs before and Genos human mother has grown up with dogs so we are very stong with training him properly and creating a great dog.

Geno lives with just me for now, I work 9 - 5 so he is home alone durring most days. When i get home we take a nice long walk or run around the dog park for a while. we also might take a quick walk later at night before bed. He doesnt seem to distructive right now even though hes home alone and without a buddy to play with. the three cats i have dont want much to do with him.

When its bed time he sleeps in his crate but when im at work all day he is usually left in the kitchen thats blocked off. I had a room in the cool basement for him but he seems very upset down there. He will be gettting a large kennel soon so i can leave him outside durring the day.when is he older enough to be in a kennel durring the day when im at work? I love him very much and will be try to be very involved with the forum. Thanks!

at 8 weeks...

3658169994_b6234217c6_m.jpg

3657377171_a55a59a53d.jpg

3658169228_b011e4a4c7.jpg

he is more fluffy the his brother was... like a mally. im still debating on if he is a wooly or not. i see pictures of dogs that are fluffy like him but dont look like that have REALLY long hair or are a mess like some i see walking around. what are your thoughts? I would still like to know what age is good to start putting him in a kennel for the day/.

if you're putting him outside make you have high fences and he can't dig his way out - huskies are notorious escape artists lol

Not sure what age is ok to leave them out - suppose if they were in the wild they'd be out from being born? I'm sure a more experienced owner here will be able to help you out :)

aww what a cutie!!! whats 80 in normal speak???? like sarah says make sure he cant dig out of the kennel! if its not got a concrete or stone flooring he may dig his way out! Also i'd let him get used to being in it for short times and make sure he doesnt get stressed out by it before you go off and leave him for the day otherwise he may get distressed and even hurt himself in the process!

welcome to the site Geno is gorgeous! not too sure bout leavin him in a kennel as never had 2 do this with my boy you say you take him for a long walk or run everyday i would b abit careful bout doing this often as he is only 13 weeks and still growing ive heard (on here) that is 5 mins for every month so if they are two months old they shud only go out for ten mins a day or something like that (am i right guys?) im sure u will get all the answers you need though as there are lots of people on here who have all diff degrees of experience with huskies :) hope you enjoy it here and feel free to post as many questions as you need too no matter if you think they are abit silly :)

welcome to the site Geno is gorgeous! not too sure bout leavin him in a kennel as never had 2 do this with my boy you say you take him for a long walk or run everyday i would b abit careful bout doing this often as he is only 13 weeks and still growing ive heard (on here) that is 5 mins for every month so if they are two months old they shud only go out for ten mins a day or something like that (am i right guys?) im sure u will get all the answers you need though as there are lots of people on here who have all diff degrees of experience with huskies :) hope you enjoy it here and feel free to post as many questions as you need too no matter if you think they are abit silly :)

You're right nix - general rule of thumb is 5 mins for every month old the pup is. Don't worry that it doesnt seem like enough excersise, mental stimulation also tires them out 10 mins of training is also very effective :)

Sorry for the delay!

Hello, welcome to the pack :) your sibe is gorgeous, stunning blue eyes.

If you are going top kennel him (closed or open) I would make sure it is well enclosed and that he cannot dig his way out. Also ensure there is a constant supply of clean water, shade and shelter.

Keep an eye on how far you are walking him, too much excercise can affect joints and muscles later in life. As Nix (bingnblaze) mentioned the best way to work out how long is by doing the 5 mins for every month of their age ratio (for a 3 month old sibe = 15 min walks a day).

Feel free to ask any questions :D