Elke's Been Gone a Year

Mazz

One year ago today, it was Saturday, June 21, 2008, we took Elke on her last ride. It was a ride we had taken 14 years 8 months, and several days before, when we picked her up at the same vet clinic. This ride was different. She was near the end of her time here. Elke had been a wonderful and beautiful Husky. She had given us so much joy, and at the same time, she had also challenged us beyond belief. Yet she was a member of our family. Her health had taken its toll. She could no longer walk, sit, or stand. Her hearing was all but gone, and the vet suspected she was blind in one eye. But for over 14 years, she had been active, athletic, and free-spirited.

That morning, I laid her down in the cool grass in front of the house, while I prepared the back seat of the truck for her last ride. It was the first and only time I was ever able to let her be off leash. Elke was not well, and we knew it was time.

We miss her so. She remains in our daily thoughts, and will never be forgotten. Elke was the best. She had trained us so well and taught us what having a Husky in the family meant; through trials and tribulations, through chases and captures, we learned the responsibility of Husky ownership is not to be taken lightly, that Huskies cannot be taken for granted.

It's been a year. It still hurts so bad. Elke is now pain free, running with her old buddies, and doing what Huskies love to do.

post-322-13585943236864_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...