Hello, introducing maya

Hi everyone, my name is george and I thought I would introduce myself and my husky, Maya :)

I've raised dogs all my life (23 years old) but I always wanted a husky, a friend had one growing up that they got from a bonafide sledracer in alaska when the dog was about 7 years old and no longer fit for racing. I fell in love with their look, color, behavior, playfullness, etc.

Unfortunately, once I moved out of my parents house I have lived in apartments for the past 5 years and I chose to be responsible and NOT adopt a husky due to their space and exercise needs. My wife and I just now moved into a house though and so we decided we're finally ready for one, so we bought Maya.

maya1.jpg

First Day Home (Licking pancake syrup residue off my daughters fingers)

maya2.jpg

At about 1 Month old (still underweight)

maya3.jpg

3.5 Months old at the park (Notice my daughter is pushing her face into maya's - we have worked HOURS on bite inhabition training...she won't even MOUTH my daughter because she knows that's off limits. Also, when I play with my daughter by throwing her up in the air, Maya gets very defensive and howls and barks until I stop)

maya4.jpg

Maya being dominated by another husky we randomly came across.

maya5.jpg

On a walk

maya6.jpg

So that's Maya...I do have a few questions if anyone can help out.

1. We are having a ROUGH TIME potty training her still. She pee's on her pee area (a small area in the kitchen covered with newspaper) almost every time, but she insists on pooping everywhere in the house. She will actually poop in every single room if she doesn't get caught, and it's always in a hard to find spot like behind the couch or bed or in a bathroom under the counter it's very very frustrating. We have tried following her around but if we catch her about to poop and then walk her to her pee area, she just won't go. Any suggestions?

2. Also - We have spent multiple hours on the bite inhabition training which has gone excellently for my daughter. And also with me, she will mouth me to play and get rough but I enjoy it and once I say "Stop" in a strong voice and ignore her, she stops. The trouble is that she won't stop with my wife, she thinks she's playing or something and she just chases her hand, if my wife even walks out of the room and sits on her hands on the couch Maya starts biting her knees and barking at her until I come and start yelling, then she slinks away under the table.

Thanks so much everyone, looking forward to getting to know you and your beautiful huskies.

hi welcome to the site, Maya is gorgeous!!!!

With the potty training, can you take her outside to "go"?

Sarah, I can when we go home but I'm currently living in the city on business, 27th floor :( I guess I could when I get home next month. Does this usually work better? Obviously i've owner quite a few dogs but having them go outside was usually a matter of convenience. We live in arizona so it's really hot outside. There are many husky owners here, we just have to be very observant and cautious about having them outside for too long.

Yeah if you take her out after feeding / playing / waking up, and give praise when she goes outside she'll pick up really quickly. Just don't say anything if she goes in the house, but give lots of praise outside of the house :)

Welcome to the site.

You need to consistantly take her out and it is important to keep them outside with you until she does go. Then make sure she knows you are pleased. (via treat or praise) With time and consistancy, she will soon understand that the yard, and only the yard is the place to go.

Also, be careful how you discipline her after an accident. These huskies never seem to forget - and actually learn to hide their accidents if you are too harsh.