A Guarding Sibe ...?

Found this link:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/363931/the_siberian_husky_is_no_guard_dog.html?cat=9

I have also been told that sibes are hopeless guard dogs, Balto will bark if he see's someone in the dark when he go's for a pee, but alaska wont >>>> she has whoo'd and growled but then ran behind me for help lol:rolleyes:

BUT .... has anyone ever put it to the test, i hope no one on here as been attacked or broken into, but i wonder if you were would any of the sibes instincs kick in .....? or have there been any cases where a sibe has?

what are your sibes like around the house and dodgy people?

Nope, my Sibe doesn't even make a good watch dog, he will only howl if the other dogs are barking. Sibes don't have any instincts to guard, very few dogs do IMO, unless they are training in protection work. Even breeds like rottys, dobes, GSDs etc who are often trained in PP, will not commonly guard properly without training - they might make good watch dogs but only a few dogs will have the nerve to stand their ground without the training to do so.

Nope, my Sibe doesn't even make a good watch dog, he will only howl if the other dogs are barking. Sibes don't have any instincts to guard, very few dogs do IMO, unless they are training in protection work. Even breeds like rottys, dobes, GSDs etc who are often trained in PP, will not commonly guard properly without training - they might make good watch dogs but only a few dogs will have the nerve to stand their ground without the training to do so.

hmmm ive heard that, even guarding breeds need training to do so, if the sibe with it's other attributes also had guarding, i think they would be the perfect breed lol

Thinking about this more, there is actually one story I commonly tell to people who ask if my Sibe is a good watch dog. We had a huge Mauri guy come to our house to cut down our palm trees, and when he saw Micha sitting in the backyard he got a bit worried and asked us a few times if he was friendly and would he be ok when he was in the yard cutting down the trees. We assured him Mish would show him the keys to the house and where all the valuables were hidden - he's terribly friendly! With great trepidation, the guy went around the side of the house into the back yard - so he entered the yard from the side gate which we never use (red flag there Mish!) and he was a total stranger as far as Micha was concerned. Micha saw the guy, ran off, and came running back with his favourite toy in his mouth, which he put at the guy's feet :rolleyes: Good job Mish, we can have total faith in you if the house is broken into! LOL!!

He might be a deterrent because of his size, but beyond that he's hopeless.

When people walk into my house Kimba jumps up at them and licks them to death lol i would imagine he'd do the same if we ever got broken into lol - having said that - they're caged at night so they'd wake me up cause they'd think it was me and would start wooing and barking / howling cause i hadn't let them out lol So in a round about way mine are good guard dogs - if in their cage lmao

hmmm ive heard that, even guarding breeds need training to do so, if the sibe with it's other attributes also had guarding, i think they would be the perfect breed lol

Yep - some breeds make good watch dogs but that's not to be confused with actual guarding. Very few dogs have the nerve to, for example, confront an intruder who kicks them, hits them, yells at them etc. It's one of the tests that dogs have to do to compete in a sport like Schutzhund - a temperament test that tests the nerve of the dog, if a dog shies away or backs away during the test they fail.

Part of what I like about Sibes is their good nature, I'm not interested in having a dog that has guarding ability - otherwise I'd go with a breed that is known for having that potential instinct.

ETA: Sarah, I feel more comfortable being home alone with a big dog like Micha with me, just because he's a good deterrent and makes you feel that little bit safer - even though I know he'd not do anything to protect me, lol.

Gizmo will bark if he hears someone at the front door and will occasionally howl (usually if he knows its us at the door) but I wouldnt say my boys have any protection instinc, however I believe Marley as Alpha will guard his pack (as previously mentioned in another thread). I believe no dog will protect their owner unless they are trained to do so.

I lost Nakita last

October but 3 years ago my landlord pushed me and he went for his throat literally. Nanook is only 6 months old but still is very protective of me if any of my family seems to play to rough he has to come over and seems like he is trying to protect me by either jumping on them or trying to nip them. Something I am trying to teach him not to do because with 4 sons there can be a lot of rough housing and I don't want him to grow up hurting anyone. He barks but he is my first sibe that does the others only whined and howled

Bingos my gaurd dog doesnt let any1 in my room or even at the door ov my room 2 tlk 2 me except my mum lol he is very protective ov us and Blaze he even tells Blaze off if he tried 2 get the gerbil lol (he doesnt even like the gerbil hes scared ov her lmao) blaze on the other hand cuz hes quite big looks scary n cuz he dives at ppl 2 say hello that can seem scary too and whilst im tryin 2 stop him jumpin at ppl it can sometimes b a good thing specially if the person looks abit dodgy lol

Yeah i know what you mean, sometimes the sheer size of balto and the way he barks and lunges at people (to greet them) really puts em off >> but there are a lot of dodgy people put out there!! in fact once i was carrying alaska in my arms and she was only 8 weeks and some guy pulled over in his car but was still kinda in the road and he had a little boy with him, he said she's cute..blah..blah ..can i hold her? so i kinda slowly passed alaska over but she didn't want him to touch her and i said "sorry she's a bit scared of people" (with a deep relief she did that!) and he changed and went really weird and said in a cold voice "you should teach her to be more friendly you know!" >>> and drove off without a bye ...WHAT A WEIRDO!!! i mean what if he drove off with her, i was smacking myself for a week for that one, so the one thing i can say about alaska is she doesn't listen to strangers, she wont sit for them nor will she walk off with them >>> she's very suspicious lol

i believe dogs will protect their owners. ive never had a sib before (got one now... great dog) but growing up we had alot of rots. i had one named danger. this dog wouldnt leave the yard EVER no matter what. we could leave the front gate open and he'd run up to it and stay. lol one time we had a bill collector come knock on the door while my mom was at work.. well us being kids let the dog out the back door lol now that was funny stuff. he chased em to the gate and stopped dead in his tracks ...

anywho one day i was outside playing with him and down the street there was a neighbor yelling at his 2 year old out in the yard. my dog jumps the fence runs down the street and stands in between the man and his kid growling and barking up a storm at the guy ... man i loved that dog ;P

not 100% on topic but its a good story ;)

i believe dogs will protect their owners. ive never had a sib before (got one now... great dog) but growing up we had alot of rots. i had one named danger. this dog wouldnt leave the yard EVER no matter what. we could leave the front gate open and he'd run up to it and stay. lol one time we had a bill collector come knock on the door while my mom was at work.. well us being kids let the dog out the back door lol now that was funny stuff. he chased em to the gate and stopped dead in his tracks ...

anywho one day i was outside playing with him and down the street there was a neighbor yelling at his 2 year old out in the yard. my dog jumps the fence runs down the street and stands in between the man and his kid growling and barking up a storm at the guy ... man i loved that dog ;P

not 100% on topic but its a good story ;)

lol, thats a good story :) I used to have rottie too called Butch and we trained him to protect on command so he would only become aggressive/protective if we commanded him to. Otherwise he was just a big softie :). I shall be honest there were a few times (mainly when I was going through some bad times) that he would give warning to certain people or dogs without me giving me a command (I put that down to he must have picked up on my emotion and took over the situation on his own accord). I miss him so much :cry: R.I.P Butch!