Snatching??

Sarah

Anyone got any ideas on how to stop them snatching food from you?

When I'm training Kaiser, eg SIT. He does it first time but as soon as i lower my hand to give him a treat, he jumps up my fingers end up in his mouth and his needles for teeth always seem to get me - it's as though he's absolutely DESPERATE to get the treat.

I've spent a lot of time at each training session to try and stop this but don't know what to do about it to be honest! I have tried moving my hand away before he gets it and telling him to wait before he comes to take the food but even doing this, he still snatches it.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!! :banghead::banghead:

we say SLOWLY when offering sisko treats, piece of food as she is really food oriented if thats the word. Her needle teeth really hurt too. she is getting the hang of it though, if she tries to snatch @ the food we don't let her have it unless she slowly takes it.

sarah ... jackie is right on what she has said .. but i have also found that when

Tikaani snatched food i have found telling her " gentle " has worked and she then will slowly take it.. will take little bit of time though...

u wanna try what Smeagle posted in her video , try putting food out and making them leave as well... i have been doing that for a while with the girls and now .. my party trick is treat on each knee and neither girls touch till i say its ok..

I have always trained my dogs to take treats from a fork, I say gentle, and put the fork in front of them, it works every time, after they get it I give treats by hand. The reason I trained them like that is because they were always around children, and they were trained not to steal food from anyone, but you know how some kids will sneak food to a dog....

thanks for your help guys.

I always make him wait for his food which he does so very begrudgingly at the moment lol but we're getting there. With treats, he only gets these when we're training i use his kibble that he'd normally have for his meal as my training tool so when he's good he gets a few biscuits but he has to work for them.

Will try using the word gently for a few weeks and see how we get on......keep the ideas coming though if you think of anymore!! :)

One of the links someone posted (smeagle?) had an idea I've been using that's similar to making them wait for food, but making them wait for the treat. Can't find the link just now but will post if I find it... It wasn't for teaching this specific issue, but teaching a command for "wait.." and would help with this, I would think.

Basically, I show him a treat in my hand and say "wait." When he goes for it, close my hand, say "wait" and keep closing hand each time he goes for it until I open it and he waits, say "OK" (or whatever you say to let them have food, etc) and give the treat. It was hard the first time, but he's doing quite well at it now.

What I did with Quinn was tell him to sit and then asked for his paw and only with his paw firmly in my hand did I offer him the treat. He seems distracted by me holding his paw and takes the treat easier. If he jumps up at my treat hand, I say "No" and then turn my back on him. He got the message faster than I thought he would. He rarely jumps for his treats now.

sarah ... jackie is right on what she has said .. but i have also found that when

Tikaani snatched food i have found telling her " gentle " has worked and she then will slowly take it.. will take little bit of time though...

I do this too with my boys. They are quite good on the GENTLE command. Marley and Bandit used to be buggers for snatching (mainly Marley - being most food driven) and I would be very close to loosing fingers sometimes! I used to hold the treat between my fingers which was mainly why Marley and Bandit would snatch the food as I found out when I held my hand flat and say 'gentle' they would take it nicely.

With the jumping up to snatch the food, I would consider teaching SIT and WAIT command. Put Kaiser in a SIT and then command him to WAIT and then bring the treat, if he jumps up take the treat back away so he doesnt get one until he holds the wait command if that makes sence. Or you could try it by putting him in a sit for now and pull the treat away if he jumps up without giving the WAIT command just while he is still learning and introduced the WAIT commant later on.