Huskies and water/swimming

How are huskies with water and swimming, like in lakes? I'm not sure if I want him to like it or not, but would like to know what to expect next time we go out to the lake. Is he likely to try to jump in and swim or happily hang out on the shore? Or just do whatever we do or encourage him to do?

(sorry for so many questions today. Just found this site and seems like a good place to learn stuff)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldnt suggest you allow your husky to swim, unless in a secure enclosed environment. They cannot be trusted off the lead, they may recall well, but there will be a day wneh the sibe desire to run overtakes all, or they select their deaf mode and cannot here you call! I would suggest you keep your husky on the lead, but in a safe enclosed environment if your husky wants to swim let him! Will be great for him to cool down in the heat!

Mine prefers wading to swimming. He'll even sit in it, but doesn't want his head anywhere near any water.

He'll go in to his belly, but no further. Likes to keep his feet on the ground, I expect. But, I'm not a swimmer, so he could be picking up this lack of love for water from me.

Thanks. That will make it alot easier if they don't tend to just jump into the water. I'd much rather keep him on the shore (or in the boat if he will go) and not off swimming around... I'd likely take him out to the lake more often if he isn't fighting to jump in and swim! Sounds like they just play in the water but don't typically just jump in.

Bo loves boating. He hasn't gone in a couple summers, but it's one of his best things. In our old boat, he'd sit on the bow or on the engine cover (favorite) and ride there until he got too warm. Then he'd head under cover until the boat moved again. Such fun!

Oh, that's good to hear. We have a boat and I'd prefer taking him with us to leaving him home. So he doesn't try to jump in the water from the boat? I just want to be prepared if huskies instinctively go in the water.

(can you tell we are really excited about having a dog that can play outside with us? Our old guy was great but hadn't gotten around too well the last few years)

He's doing quite well for a puppy coming when called in the house, but I'm not yet confident of his recall when outside having fun... where would I get a lunge leash? That might be a good idea to have just in case.

I'm not sure what it is like in other countries but you can get them here from Horse supply stores as they use lunge leashes too.

There are a few online stores that sell them, you could have a look on ebay too.

Using a lunge leash is a great way to teach recall too. Teaching recall itself is pretty easy to do, it is proofing it and getting reliability that is difficult. Never think that you can just trust your pup, that is the biggest mistake that people make - thinking 'I might just let him off leash this one time and see how he goes...' Then the pup learns that it can just run off and do as it pleases - and ignore your commands to recall.

I don't call my dogs if I know they aren't going to come back because I never want them to think the recall command is one they can chose to ignore.

I also put a lot of work into teaching them that there is nothing more exciting than obeying me and that everything high value and exciting comes through me and not other outlets (like other people or other dogs). It is all about how your pup views distractions on a scale of 1 to 10 - most people find that other dogs, people, prey items etc rank higher for their dog than they do. What I do in training try to make sure my dogs see me as a 10 and that ultimately, they never get to that point where they decide playing with another dog or chasing after a prey item is more exciting or rewarding than what I have to give them :) If that makes sense...

Thanks smeagle. We'll try that.

No worries, just remember the general rule of time before distance before distraction, start in a low distraction environment like you backyard, get the dog complying to the command well and focusing 100% on you, then move to a slightly more distracting place (even out the front of your house) and repeat until you gradually move to high distraction places!

It takes time but it means the dog is much more reliable and focused in the long run!

lol yeah mine hate being bathed as well lol kaiser screams the place down!!! bless him - he has a good set of lungs!!

Maybe its because we named them Kaiser. When I first gave mine a bath he screamed so loud my ears were ringing and throbbing. Now he just falls asleep.

Ive noticed it is best to have as little standing water as possible. I tried bathing him in a full tub once for fun. Ya bad idea... :banghead:

Maybe its because we named them Kaiser. When I first gave mine a bath he screamed so loud my ears were ringing and throbbing. Now he just falls asleep.

Ive noticed it is best to have as little standing water as possible. I tried bathing him in a full tub once for fun. Ya bad idea... :banghead:

LMAO yeah I know what you mean!!!

have very little water in the bat and have tried shower, cup and now try my best bathing him by cupping my hands - still screams...........:wtf: will just have to buy earplugs!

Mine will not swim but love to stand in water to cool off. We took Tala and Mukki to a upstate NY lake for vacation last year and discovered they absolutely love to ride in boats! No fear of them jumping off, since they hate to swim!

Since Tala has bad hips, she is not mushing so she walks and hikes with me and now the puppy. I keep them on long 6-8 foot leads and I wear Wellies. She loves to walk through streams as long as it isn't too deep. Although, a few times she was willing to swim a very short distance (2-3 feet) to get to a rock, log or other side.

Quinn is not fond of water at all but this week he did fall in love with the wading pool so I am curious to see his response to streams on our next walk.

So he doesn't try to jump in the water from the boat? I)

Nope, he just likes to watch - especially when the hubby fishes. That was always great entertainment for him. We boated with Bo most of his life, the last couple summers he hasn't gone as it's too hard for him to get out of the boat (getting in isn't a problem!)

Now his favorite is camping where he walks throughout the campground, strutting if he hears someone say "beautiful dog you've got there" --- it's pretty funny, he hears those words and the head and tail come up and he trots like a puppy.