IN DEFENCE OF STANDARD POODLES

My boy Kayko's best buddy is Trevor, the poodle. Seriously. We meet Trevor up at the baseball field on a regular basis to raise hell and run all over the place. I had a close look at Trevor the other day - he's a big-boned, strong dog with jaws like a jaguar. It pains me that handlers and breeders would grow a poodle's hair nearly a meter long - in some places - and keep the poor thing on the grooming table so long that they have to be sedated. But "that's show business", I guess.

Trevor, though, loves to chest wrestle, growl, chase to intercept & take down and generally run with the gang. Good Husky stuff. His Mum keeps his hair short. Sure, it has to be cut back from time to time as it grows like wool on a Shetland sheep. And he has to wear that stupid GORETEX coat in wet, cold weather because he has no undercoat. But apart from that, he's a 'regular' dog.

Poodles were bred for hunting and so can run like nobody's business. Out at the Larose Forest, I've seen several poodles used for skijoring. One even passed Kayko & I on the Malamute Loop(!!) I don't have to say that this pi**ed Kayko off somewhat. Poodles have a bit of trouble with ice forming in their paws, but apart from that they're actually very good pullers.

So the next time you pass a standard poodle in the street, try yelling "Gee! Haw! On By!". Hey! you just might get the proper reaction. You never know with those poodles.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice bit of info there on a dog breed most here wont be familiar with! :D +1 for that. I also think Poodles should be left natural and not clipped into such rediculous shapes, and I knew they were orinally hunting dogs (very good swimmers apparently) I think spannish water dogs are a relation as they look VERY similar! Good stuff, keep it coming! :D

My Sister and hubby have had 2 standard poodle - both black ones. Jake was the first and unfortunately passed away due to cancer in his paws about 4 years ago. They now have Rufus. Jake was, and Rufus is a big powerful dog. They have wonderful, playful personalities and love running, chasing and playing. They have always been absolutely great with my kids.

My Sister has severe asthma and chose poodles because their fur is like a sheeps coat and doesn't moult and therefore doesn't affect her asthma like normal coated dogs do (she only has to be in my house for a couple of hours and she is wheezy because of our dogs!). This is one of the reasons why there is such a influx of breeding other breeds with poodles, like the Labradoodle, Snoodle, Cockerpoo etc.

Rufus is taken to the groomers on a regular basis and just cut short - no fancy shmancy cuts for him - he is a real boy!! :lol:

I love poodles - especially the big ones :wub:

Great info Gary +1 :)

Catherine, I have asthma and have problems with most dogs, but not the Husky - I'm amazed to hear they affected your sisters asthma. Lovely pic :)

Oh Rosemary my sister is a very severe asthmatic and has been hospitalised a few times because of it so I guess she is very sensitive. When I know she is coming I hoover like a demon but she still gets very wheezy after a couple of hours with our dogs. :mellow:

Poodles were bred for retrieving mostly. They really are great dogs depending where you get them from. Being a groomer, I see many come through my work. Some are fantastic high energy, "regular" dogs, others seem more like statues than anything LOL Not really the dog for me but I do have an appreciation for well-bred, properly cared for ones.

I just think they are plain stupid/ugly/yappy/annoying and i just dont like them but only my opinion my old neighbour used to breed them retchid little things done my head in lol

sory if any one has one lol

and to see how people style them and clothe them adds to my irritation even thou that is not the dogs fault lol

The Poodle cross Labrador are the dog of choice for Hearing Dogs for Deaf People in the UK now. They are relatively low maintenance due to the reduced moulting and they are very quick to pick things up. We watched a demonstration of one doing its things at the trainging centre, I was actually quite shocked by the size of it, I had never seen a standard poodle in person.

For some strange reason i can't imagine them hunting.....................

IMG_0886.jpg

It makes me really cross when I see someone doing something like this to a poor animal - its things like this that give poodles a reputation of being a bit of a 'poofy' dog (excuse the term - I couldn't think of another word!).

This thread has sparked quite a difference of opinion on whether people like or dislike poodles which is fine - everyone is entitled to like or dislike any breed of dog but aren't we again becoming 'breed snobs' and judging a breed based on heresay and pictures like this ridiculous one! which is something that people do all so often to our beloved sibes and which we all hate and shout very loudly about ;) .

I cant see the problem with doing things like that tbh, all they are doing is colouring there hair and clipping there coat if i owned one it would be something i would consider doing, would rather see that than Dogs fighting or being beaten or throw into a river or just left to fend for themselves. at least these dogs you can be assured are loved by there owners....