signs of dominance or maybe just irritated?

I am still paranoid after my two had that food fight so I have been watching them closely. I am getting them evaluated on Monday morning but I still have one more day to go and one thing really concerns me.

Sometimes, mostly inside the house when they play Whisper will lay down and let her jump all over him. There is a bit of growling involved but I assume that is just play growling.

However, we went in the yard today and Zihna was running around like crazy again and Whisper was catching her and she would lay down and he would stand over her and he laid his ears back and just stood over her nipping her on her neck and paws and stuff. They were in that position for quite a while and I was not even sure if it was still play or if he was dominating her.

I broke them up with a "HEY STOP IT" and Whisper moved right over and I got him to sit but Zihna just kept jumping on him. I was really scared about what was going to happen next cause then he grabbed her again she laid down and there was lots of growling and noises involved, and that repeated a few times until I could finally get them inside.

Should I be concerned about him laying his ears back? I am worried that maybe he is getting annoyed since she always wants to play with him? Anything I should watch out for in particular tomorrow until I can have a professional look at his behavior on Monday? I just don't want nothing else to happen until I can get some one to assure me that they are just playing. Maybe I am just being paranoid and its really nothing, but better safe than sorry.

Any advice on dominant behavior will be appreciated, also any signs to look for if play gets serious so I can have an eye out on them. i am trying to kind of keep them separated most of the day as much as possible and I want to walk Zihna first thing in the morning so maybe she wont be so hyper! I just have to make it through tomorrow without having any fights here. Thanks in advance.

I agree with Jennet, they are just sorting themselves out. You need to bear in mind that Whisper is 6 years old and Zihna is just a baby. I don't know if Whisper has been around puppies recently but if not he will take some time to adjust as well.

From what you have described it sounds like Zihna is submitting and Whisper could have either been trying to get her to get back up and running again, or he could have been being dominant; it is hard to say without seeing it. Putting their ears back can mean many different things, depending on the whether they are back and close to the head, slightly back, or just flattened. This could mean anything from submission to aggression.

I wouldn't worry to much about them, they sound like normal dogs sorting out their pack order. As stated in the thread about their fight, feed them separately and watch them when giving them bones or other high value items. They should sort themselves out, it will help when Zihna gets a bit more mentally mature as well.

Good luck hun, try not to fret too much as it will all work outsmile.gif

Standing over an other one is indeed meant for showing dominance. It could be because Zihna tried jumping onto Whisper and Whisper wanted to show her he does not tolerate that. Did Zihna agree with that or was she trying to get away from it? As long as it doesn't turns into a fight (when Zihna does not agree with it and tries to nip back), it won't be much of a problem I think. It's something wolves do too to put other animals in line with the pack order.

IMG_5444.JPG

That sounds like exactly how my two are! Shadow (my big lad who I rescued about 4months ago now) will grab hold of the back of Nukka (my girl who Iv had from a pup but who is quiet small) usually grabs her neck or low back and rags her abit till she rolls over on the floor and he then stands over her nipping at her legs and kneck while she bites up at him, then he'll bite her a little too hard she'll yelp and he'll let go of her she'll be annoyed so goes at him like a Tazmainian devil and it all starts over! They are totally playing but there is an element of sorting out whos boss within that... I'd say signs to look for that it is getting nasty is a change in the sounds they are making... one of them yelping like their really hurt, or a deeper more intimidateing growling snarling noises.. as the owner of your dogs you should be able to tell the difference between their play growls and their angry growls but I will see if I can get some videos of my two playing for you to see and then you can tell the difference. :)

i agree with the others, they are just trying to sort out their pack order, mine did this when we got skyla and it was all sorted, now shes just finished her season and is no longer a puppy in blazes eyes he is now re-asserting himself over her even tho shes still submissive too him, unless one actually gets hurt i would let them get on with it

Lyra puts her ears back all the time - whenever she meets people and is excited and when she's playing with other dogs. We have another husky in our building who makes a point to grab her by the collar and shake her around a little. He loves to stand over her, and sometimes he just fully lays down on her. They don't mean anything by it, though.

Lyra has had a real scuffle with my mom's pug because he didn't want to play... It's not very helpful, but you should be able to tell the difference between an actual fight and play fight.

Thanks guys. I know I am probably being paranoid, but I NEVER thought that he would bite her at any time so hard that she be bleeding like he did over that food. Did not think he had it in him, but now I am looking at him totally different. He has not been much around other dogs after the divorce with my ex and splitting up the dogs. But he grew up the first year with my ex's dog. After that most of the time other dogs wanted to bite him and showed aggressive behavior towards him even though they were said to get along with other dogs. So I am not sure what he was doing to trigger that behavior in the other dog. He did get along with a few other dogs/ and cats somewhat except the cat did not like him wanting to sniff her butt! LMAO.

He has not been around a puppy since he was still a puppy himself. Zihna always submits to him, she even does the mouth licking. Then after a while she just gets up and it starts all over again. But sometimes I wonder if she would know when enough is enough?

So far so good today....no nasty ears laying back...just nice play.

Thank you guys. Maybe I just needed some reassurance again. I am probably driving myself nuts over nothing. I would just feel so bad if he would hurt her again. Thats all. But over all he is a real sweetheart and very tolerant with her. And I just hope that Zihna will catch a hint if he ever feels like enough is enough.

THANKS BUNCHES ALL OF YOU!!!!!

i know what you mean - skyla left a nice kink in bingos tail when he went past her n she had food - she has now learnt not to react when he walks past her now tho and whilst they still arent 100% they get on soo much better

shes left a few teeth marks in him - will try n get a pic of his tail - that was the worse i think

i know what you mean - skyla left a nice kink in bingos tail when he went past her n she had food - she has now learnt not to react when he walks past her now tho and whilst they still arent 100% they get on soo much better

shes left a few teeth marks in him - will try n get a pic of his tail - that was the worse i think

Awwww poor bings....I wish they would understand us when we tell them that we have plenty of food for all of them! LOL

Thought I post a quick update. I had the dogs evaluated today and the result was that Whisper is a very dominant male. We drove out to this boarding/training place and it was truly a doggy paradise!!! It was so deep out in the nowhere that I passed it 3 times :lol::lol: The GPS kept telling me "You have arrived" and I was like HUH??? :unsure::blink: There is nothing here!!!! LMAO.

The lady was very nice and told me about some of the dogs she had that she will start socializing Whisper with and then keep adding and they have several trainers so he will be around different people. As long as they are potty trained they get to sleep in the bedroom with them and not in crates (How cool is that!!!) Its almost like dropping your dog off at your friends house just that they also get training and learn social skills.

.....sooooo starting next Monday Whisper will get a 2 week vacation at Doggy heaven/ Basic Training!!! :lol: I am gonna miss him like crazy as I am not allowed to see him for the first week so he will settle in there. :( But I know its the best thing to do for everyone.

Tomorrow the local trainer is coming and I will work with her on Zihna here and once Whisper is back she can help me to keep things in check. I think it will be good for me to bond more with Zihna if Whisper is away for a little while because she is so fixated on Whisper. By the time he comes back Zihna should have some basics down and they should be much more manageable. :D

Looking forward to Zihnas first obedience training tomorrow YAY!!!