New Server

Marc

Hi Guys,

Appologies for the downtime last night however as you know we have been experiencing a few issues over the past week or so on the site with in going down occasionally etc. The cause of this was lack of memory on the server for the tasks it was being asked to perform by our site. Therefore there was little choice but to move the site onto a completely dedicated server. Hopefully this should now once and for all sort out the issues.

As with anything that gets upgraded, this obviously incurs extra cost to the running of the site and in this case has now pushed us near the $150 mark per month simply to keep the site running. I will say that this place will continue to run as always regardless however if anyone would like to donate toward the site you can do so via 2 options.

Option 1:- A one of donation can be made via the donation section on the right hand side of the forum (on the side bar)

Option 2:- A regular subscribed donation can be added via the "subscribe to donations" link provided at the very top right of the forum. This will allow you to pick an amount to donate each month which can be automatically processed via paypal.

Hope the latest move proves to allow us to run a lot smoother :)

Regards,

Marc

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Marc,

This is my first post on the Husky-Owners.com Forum.

I got an email regarding the New Area for sponsors on the site, and at the bottom of the email, it included the current stats of the Forums.

I've been a System Administrator for more then 1500 Servers & Hundreds of Thousands of Websites. I know what kind of loop holes Virtual Hosts (Your hosting company) throw in to get you to upgrade onto your own server.

This sounds like one of those instances based on what you've explained with the Memory Resource Usage exceeding what they allow (Common hosting company issue).

Based on the stats (from the email):

Registered Users: 2475

Total Posts: 208612

Busiest Time: 113 users were online on Aug 27 2010 06:01AM

You hardly need a Dedicated Server!

One of my clients has a forum with more then 62,000 Users and Thousands ACTIVELY Posting 24/7. He's on a Virtual Host, paying $20/month for that account.

I don't necessarily approve of his hosting provider, but if the hardware your chosen host isn't sufficient, and you're getting knocked for a forum of this size, it's wrong.

I'll be posting a more relevant 'First Post' for our Siberian Husky Puppy hopefully today.

But for now, I felt that you may need some technical experience & background on the situation with your Forum.

I'm simply giving some thoughtful & technical input on your Forum's situation. If you feel it's un-needed, un-welcome, etc, no hard feelings. :) If you'd like some advice, or direction, feel free to contact me.

In either event, I'll still be a Husky Owner at the end of the day, and will continue to use this Forum as a great resource, as it's intended.

Thank you for your time. Have a great day.

--

RussM

Hey Marc,

This is my first post on the Husky-Owners.com Forum.

I got an email regarding the New Area for sponsors on the site, and at the bottom of the email, it included the current stats of the Forums.

I've been a System Administrator for more then 1500 Servers & Hundreds of Thousands of Websites. I know what kind of loop holes Virtual Hosts (Your hosting company) throw in to get you to upgrade onto your own server.

This sounds like one of those instances based on what you've explained with the Memory Resource Usage exceeding what they allow (Common hosting company issue).

Based on the stats (from the email):

Registered Users: 2475

Total Posts: 208612

Busiest Time: 113 users were online on Aug 27 2010 06:01AM

You hardly need a Dedicated Server!

One of my clients has a forum with more then 62,000 Users and Thousands ACTIVELY Posting 24/7. He's on a Virtual Host, paying $20/month for that account.

I don't necessarily approve of his hosting provider, but if the hardware your chosen host isn't sufficient, and you're getting knocked for a forum of this size, it's wrong.

I'll be posting a more relevant 'First Post' for our Siberian Husky Puppy hopefully today.

But for now, I felt that you may need some technical experience & background on the situation with your Forum.

I'm simply giving some thoughtful & technical input on your Forum's situation. If you feel it's un-needed, un-welcome, etc, no hard feelings. :) If you'd like some advice, or direction, feel free to contact me.

In either event, I'll still be a Husky Owner at the end of the day, and will continue to use this Forum as a great resource, as it's intended.

Thank you for your time. Have a great day.

--

RussM

Hi Russ,

First of all welcome to the forum and yes I welcome your input as much as anyones. The issue we face more than anything with our server is that we restrict very little on our forum in comparison to other sites. For example we dont have a limit on the volume of photos people can upload, we have an arcade which is fully hosted and up until the last upgrade we were also hosting our own chatroom. So the resources being used are not always what meets the eye.

That said though I do agree with the fact that other forums do not use this kind of resource and I am currently looking at server optimisation which IMO is more of a problem than anything else.

Just to highlight a point you mentioned above, we were not knocked off because of resource usage. The resource usage was actually causing the forum to crash and the memory usage I could see for myself even before they told me what the issue was. The forum needs further optimisation, along with the server being optimised for what it is using. One unfortunate thing about invision (the forum software) in my opinion. Currently sorting out eAcccelerator, xcache and the likes at present as it will reduce the compilation of the php scripts on the server which should help no end.

I will however tap u for information at times if you dont mind, as you seem a very handy person to have on board ;)

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply.

After posting, and browsing around more, I found the games, and chat.

What I had been referring to with memory resource usage is, some hosts will limit an individual account to only use so many resources (cpu, memory, etc).

So for example they could assign you 64mb of memory, and if your database, php, etc all used up that memory, your processes would begin to fail (crash).

It's pretty common in smaller hosting companies with limited resources.

We've come far from the days where you needed to worry about only 2 Resources, Hard Drive Space, and Data Transfer.

Based on the above, I wanted to get clarification on what usage we're talking about, and if you know the reasons behind the site "crashing"?

Generally, people refer to Memory as the Hard Drive Space.

Which are you referring to?:

The Actual Server's Memory (RAM)

Your Hosting Account's Hard Drive Space (Hosting Space)

Your Hosting Account's Data Transfer (Bandwidth)

I my opinion, having a dedicated server is always best in hosting any website!

You have complete control over everything, but in the same token, take on so much more responsibility.

I don't know your level of technical experience, so if I'm talking a bit too general, let me know.

I'd love to help in any way possible, so just ask.

Thanks again,

Russ

Your talkin a bit too general lol. Was ram usage. I am a software developer by trade so pretty clued up all though would appreciate probably not so much as yourself on the hardware side. We are on a fairly large host and also one who has dealt with forums more than most due to being a forum admin himself. We also get very good support and help over and above what I would ordinarily expect (they go out of there way to ensure we're happy) so I'm fairly happy with the hosting. Don't get me wrong there is much that can be done to further speed thinngs up but we're gettin there. I think to be honest I can reduce the resource usage more at front end at present before I start optimising the server With mem caching and the likes.

Makes a change for someone else as bloody geeky as me to post up anyways lmao

Good to know.

Of course, I'm not saying go somewhere else for hosting.

The best host you can get is one you can personally relate to.

I haven't looked at IPB in ages, but seeing where they are now based on their site, it seems like the feature set is highly dependent on SQL.

Each page taking 14-15 queries just to generate it.

Well, I'll leave the issue be until it rises again (hopefully it doesn't).

I'll be around.

Thanks,

Russ

Good to know.

Of course, I'm not saying go somewhere else for hosting.

The best host you can get is one you can personally relate to.

I haven't looked at IPB in ages, but seeing where they are now based on their site, it seems like the feature set is highly dependent on SQL.

Each page taking 14-15 queries just to generate it.

Well, I'll leave the issue be until it rises again (hopefully it doesn't).

I'll be around.

Thanks,

Russ

Good to hear. Nice to have you on board m8. Enjoy the site :)

Hey Russ, welcome to the forum. Now we'll have two geeks that speak a language that none of the reset of us will be able to decipher. So, got any pics of your Husky? We'd love to see them.