kennel cough

think we may have kennel cough, taz started coughin a couple of days ago, we thought he had somethin stuck in his throat, but today him and dief have had runny noses, its clear, but looked it up and it would seem to suggest kennel cough, have done the pressing round the throat area to see if it makes them cough n it does, there is so much conflicting advice on the net, i thought id ask you lot lol what do you think is best to do , n no they havent been in kennels though that doesnt seem to make much difference, they r both eatin and drinkin n poopin n weein as normal, n both still playin and wantin walkies ,

Like Nix mentioned I would say the same, get them tested at your vets. I would say Kennel Cough too but I would go have them both checked over first. Have they had any vaccines for it? If they have then it may not be kennel cough, but I aint 100% sure on this subject.

Sorry

Found this site about Kennel Cough http://www.darwinvets.com/dogs/kennelCough.htm hope it helps

they had the usual puppy vac's, wasnt plannin on puttin themin kennels, and in all my years of ownin dogs of my own and as a youngster growin up this is the first time ever of maybe havin kennel cough, n as i said as yet all we have is taz with a cough n dief with a runny nose, will see how it goes, thanx for the link will try the bath thing later

even if they have the vaccine they can still get it cus the kennel cough vaccine is given up the nose and they can sneeze some of it out so not 100% reliable.

kennel cough can also be fatal to dogs so need to get it checked asap.

they don't have to go in kennels as it is a air bourne desease so just being near a nother dog wh might have kennel cough or been in a area where a dog with kennel cough has been your dog can pick it up.

i would go to vets and get some anti bs for them.

Just thinking, have they been around any other dogs lately which may have had kennel cough? As it is a contagious infection/illness just though they may have caught it of another dog. Have you got a kennels close by or walked past any? As this most likely travells through air, a kennel's near you may have it and I would get your two checked over and if they have it then go over to the kennels and mention it and hopefully they will use their common sence and check each dog they have.

Good advise Siberianandy: added to rep

This past summer, we went camping with the dogs and someone with infinite wisdom had a pup there with kennel cough. It had its shots - had proof.

Long story short, I called my vet who said he would be more concerned if our dogs were young. He said to watch them closely and that if Bo or Chance began coughing or had a drippy nose to get them in right away.

We're fortunate that our vet doesn't give the "bring 'em in" response all the time. He knows that if I call, I have a genuine concern or question. It helps that my cat goes in every three weeks and that Bo goes in regularly for his checks on arthritis.

Too bad more vets aren't like that, but I suppose it's better safe than sorry. I also have a friend who is a vet and she answers tons of questions for me. (Not to mention the tech who's a friend also.)

Kennel Cough usually isn't that dangerous to healthy dogs. It's a bit like flu in humans and like flu in humans, although the majority of us just have a few days discomfort and shrug it off, the very young, the very old and people with compromised immune systems can die from it.

The biggest problem for dog owners, is that dogs which suffer from Kennel Cough can be infectious to other dogs for up to three months.

http://www.petdoctors.co.uk/you-and-your-pet/dogs/an-introduction-to-preventative-healthcare/kennel-cough---more-facts/

Mick

have checked a fair few site n kennel cough is a virus not a bacteria, so antibiotics dont help, they can actually hinder the healing process, which is why doctors wont give antibiotics for a cold, vets give antibiotics to deal with secondary infections, there are no kennels anywhere near us , and the dog they spend the most ammount of time with is fine and has been vacinated, the only place they could have picked it up is in the park on their walks and we dont generally see many other dogs, thanx for all the advice

will do , were going to run a hot bath n stick them in the steam, n give them honey for the sore throats , tbh a lot of what is suggested is the same as for when humans have a cold, the problem is like rain dog says they can remain infectious for quite some time, the link he posted said to get them vacinated even when they have got it , as it may speed up the recovery, the thing is there are over 47 different strains of the virus and there are only vaccinations for two. so will phone the vets tomorrow and see what they say and if im not happy with it i will phone a few other vets for second opinons, xx

Hi, Suzanne here - Richards better half -Kennel cough is a more a problem for young and old dogs, The problem is that it is highly infectious and spreads, so disenfect everything /body going in and out & no contact with other dogs. You really need it checked by a vet to make sure, its not something else.

I've used Tixlylix(?) and childs Benylin for coughs in my dogs to ease coughing - not to cure.- using a childs dose. ( It is illegal for me to suggest you use these. I can only say that I've used them and you make your own decision.)

The vaccination for kennel cough is nasal drops.

Kennel Cough usually isn't that dangerous to healthy dogs. It's a bit like flu in humans and like flu in humans, although the majority of us just have a few days discomfort and shrug it off, the very young, the very old and people with compromised immune systems can die from it.

Mick

What Mick said - KC is seldom dangerous to healthy dogs.

You can vaccinate against KC with nasal drops or with the C5 vaccination but it is also important to remember that there are more than 30 different strains of kennel cough, and we only vaccinate for two. My dogs got kennel cough at a boarding kennel despite having had the vaccination for it - because they caught a different strain. I do treat it like you would a cold, it is not something I rush off to the vet for unless their symptoms get severe and after a couple of days they were fine.