Nikita not eating

Mistyrayn

Hey peeps… wanna see if anyone else has had same prob… since having Nikita she has never been a fast eater unlike Tikaani .. have found she is a scrap dog.. would rather have plate of leftovers than anything else.. but I’m not into giving things like that..

Also she seems to be a self regulating dog and will always leave a little bit in the bowl without fail.. no matter how much I give her she will only eat the same amount. Very picky as well. unlike Tikaani who will keep eating given the chance…

Anyway my prob is that Nikita will some times just decide not to eat, put her bowl down and she will look at it then just lay down. Very obviously not prepared to eat.. has happened maybe once a month.. normally I will feed James wellbeloved and nature diet for 1 meal and raw chic wings for the other…

Today she totally refused to eat any breakfast.( kibble + nature diet ) So I put it down to having off day .so didn’t push it.. went to feed this eve and as she didn’t eat this morning I decided to give kibble + nature diet not wings. Again flatly refused to eat … after few minutes of concern I grab a tin of tesco dog food out that we keep as emergency and low and behold she ate the whole tin !!!

Do I just have a fussy dog or what ??

Can’t work her out ??? when I give girls wings Tikaani will shoot of to a place in garden eat one and come running back for another to go of the very same spot each time… now Nikita will take 1st wing off to their box and eat it in there and is fairly slow to eat it .. then she will come trotting back for another but this time she has to eat it next to me and a lot faster . if I give them a 3rd Tikanni again back to same spot , Nikita again will stay next to me ..

Any ideas why on these things peeps.. co’s I cant work it out…

thought i would add that i have not been in a bad mood when this has happened ... quite the opposite have been in good mood.... and on these days Nikita is her usual bouncy self.. in no way down in dumps.

Sounds like she's a daddy's girl lol

If you're having an off day, maybe she picks up on it??

Some dogs, like humans I suppose don't have a great appetite, I would think that as long as she's going to the toilet ok and isn't loosing weight, her coat looks healthy and is drinking, she's ok :)

maybe she is gettin abit bored with her food do u change the flavours alot so she has summin diff ive found that after a while blaze wont eat but he will eat bingos crappy dog food that he doesnt get tho they have the same biscuits

(they are puppy 1s b4 i get told blaze shudnt b eatin bisc for adult dogs n b4 u say bings needs summin more than puppy biscs we r jus happy hes eatin dog food as he only ate cat food when we had our cat)

or like sarah says maybe she picks up if ur havin an off day or maybe shes not a fast eater/has a big appetite if shes lnot eatin after a couple ov days maybe ask ur vet? im sure she will b ok tho let us no :)

lol no u no wot we mean tho that they can pick up on atmosphere but if that ent it maybe she is just not a fast eater n duznt have a big appetite like tikaani but like i sed if shes still not eatin in a couple ov days maybe ring ur vet n c wot they think sure shes fine tho :)

Sounds like she's a daddy's girl lol

If you're having an off day, maybe she picks up on it??

Some dogs, like humans I suppose don't have a great appetite, I would think that as long as she's going to the toilet ok and isn't loosing weight, her coat looks healthy and is drinking, she's ok :)

Ok, now you've edited your post i will retract the comment about you having a bad day

I would watch for a 'pattern' in her habits before becoming overly concerned.

For instance, for the first 12 years of his life, Bo was provided with a full bowl of kibble at all times. However, he only ate about once every three days and then would eat a full bowl. The Siberians are notorious for "getting good gas mileage" so to speak. They have slow metabolism and simply don't require the amount of food often required by other breeds of similar size.

Watch her weight. Is she holding her own? If she were to lose, then I would be more concerned.

Now, at 14, Bo eats about every other day, but still significantly less than our other dog.

I had this problem with Gizmo. When we first got him he was on Pro Plan and loved it to begin with and then suddenly wouldn't eat it or would eat it very slowly! Then we got Marley and Bandit and they were on Wagg to begin with and Gizmo again loved it but was soon off it again, by then we realised that the additives and colourings in the food was not doing them any good at all so we changed to the Beta puppy and again they all liked it but after a while they started to get the run s agina from it and plus they all started to stop eating it! This was where I changed to the Wainwrights food which agiain, they loved it to begin with but have recently not been eating it.

Knowing that they love their meat and bones I read up about the BARF diet and have recently started to feed this diet to them. We are only feeding bland meat and veg for now until they get used to it but they really love it. I only have one question about it which I will post on separate thread about it.

When they wasn't eating the biscuits we tried many different things to get them to eat it. We tried mixing Gravy but they didn't eat it, tried fresh meat and they just picked out the meat and left the biscuits, tried mixing tinned dog food and they didn't even sniff it! Then I went to our local shop and got some tinned tuna and mixed that in with thier biscuits and gave it to them and they ate it.

I'm getting the impression that maybe Nikita would be better suited to a BARF diet as it does seem that she prefers her meat like my boys.

Here are the sites I used to get some info but would recommend going to liberary and getting some of the books about it first, before making a decision, as they will have more info:

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/

Hope this helps

YUP!!! i know exactly what you mean, Alaska (we got her first) was always a slow eater and didn't eat a lot, the guy said out of the whole litter she ate the least like her mother did when she was a puppy, we had this problem when she came to us, she ate her dry food which was given to her by the breeder and our vets recommended a switch of food to help her gain weight and to cut a long story short we also used to feed her table scraps and tinned food, we then switched to raw, which she loves and always eats a lot of raw food, but then we also wanted her to have a high quality puppy food so we put her back on james wellbeloved duck and rice puppy food, she didn't eat it for 3 days, we didn't give her any of our food, we didn't rush to quickly get our emergency tinned food (which we do have!;)) we made sure she was exercised before all three meals and made sure there were no distractions in the room, but we only left it down for 5mins for her to eat and and 3 mins if she didn't touch it, i think huskies are extremely smart so why insult their intelligence...if they dont want to eat..they wont!!!

also some people may say mix it up a bit...i say DONT! dont ever feed two different meals a day, if it's dry food..it;s dry food all day! she will know to wait until she gets nice juicy chicken pieces and huskies were bred to run on as little food as possible so you are giving her just enough to live on, so now i'll feed dry food for 3 days and then i'l give a bit of raw on the weekends, im currently feeding my girl satin balls: http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

they are for gaining weight and a lot of mushers feed the odd satin ball if one of their racing sibes is a bit on the lean side, sometimes my girl will eat her dry food all day then some days she will skip a meal, she's spoilt NOT a fussy eater!

i have also got a sibe boy and he will eat all he can get his paws on, he will eat about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of dry food a day and is rather chubby..or not chubby but he is big:o and our girl will eat 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups a day, she will eat her most after a long walk or run in the park, the satin balls are a great success though!

and dont give in to her, it's a sibes fav game to play...lets see how long my owner will last before they change my food!, she may not eat for 3 days like my girl but she will give in, give it to her plain and nothing elses, and praise your other sibe when he is finsihed and give him a treat....it worked for me:D

good luck with her!!

Yeah I agree with you Ice and Cripton. My Huskies were like yours, the boy will eat anything and everything but the girl is different. She was more "picky or spoilt" when she was younger and seems to have gotten a lot better in the last 2 years. She is 5 now. However I think generally the boy will always eat more. I think one of the reasons she eats more now is that we have another Husky now too. Hes 16month. I tried giving my husky cheese to build up her appetite because i know she loves that. Also would give her the odd little bit of onion or garlic (even though u r told not to), the vet recommended this as its something she likes so i would mix it with her food. The vet said as long as its only a little and its not everyday its ok. It worked anyway. Most off all though I would say dont worry about it. She wouldnt let herself starve. : )

How is Nikita getting on Richard? Did you have to change her diet or has she started earting again?

yeh she's fine now think it may have been something dodgy as Tikaani also went off her food and was quite badly sick.. but both ok now.. all ive done at moment with Nikita's food is taken away some of the biscuit and increased her meat and she seems to be a lot happier at moment