THE BUDGET

what do you guys think????

Budget key points: At-a-glance

Page last updated at 16:22 GMT, Tuesday, 22 June 2010 17:22 UK

E-mail this to a friend

Printable version

Here are the key points of Chancellor George Osborne's first Budget, delivered on 22 June, 2010:

TAX

VAT: Rate will rise from 17.5% to 20% from January 4, 2011.

Personal income tax allowance: To be increased by £1,000 in April to £7,475 - worth £170 a year to basic rate taxpayers. It is expected that 880,000 of the lowest-paid will be taken out of income tax altogether.

FULL BUDGET DOCUMENTS

Continue reading the main story

PDF download Budget June 2010[2.79MB]

Most computers will open PDF documents automatically, but you may need Adobe Reader

Download the reader here Documents hosted by Direct.gov.uk

Council tax: Could be frozen for one year from April 2011 in England, but extra funds will only be offered to councils which keep their own costs down. Worth about £35 per household.

Capital Gains Tax: To rise from 18% to 28% from midnight for higher rate taxpayers. The "entrepreneurs relief" rate of 10% on the first £2m of gains will be extended to the first £5m.

A 50p a month "landline tax" to fund the rollout of fast broadband will be scrapped - instead the government will support private investment, partly funded by the digital switchover under-spend within the TV licence fee.

The balance of spending cuts to tax rises would be 77% to 23%.

WATCH: Chancellor announces changes to capital gains

WATCH: House in uproar over VAT rise

WATCH: Government raises income tax threshold

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep i dont really get most of it either was hoping some boffin could explain!!

i know all the rich people in RBS went mental yesterday as they got wind of the tax thing increasing 2night and have been shifting money around!!!

oh and that i'm going to get screwed by VAT

and i only earn about 9k a year so that doesn't effect me either!!

the eductation thing affects my mum....and so does the benefits thing :-(

Also what you got to remember is Labour was working class they cared about everyone. Cons are higher class, the rich. They do not care about anyone but themselves.

That might have been the case once, but not any more. The gap between the rich and the poor got much wider during the 13 years of New Labour government. Not only that but the majority of Labour politicians are just as "posh" as the Tory ones. They've all been to private/public schools and Oxbridge and hardly any of them has done a days work in their lives. Blair, Mandelson, Brown, Clegg, Cameron - all the same, all interchangeable, all w*nkers!!!

Not only that, but if you are concerned about immigration, the fact is that it was New Labour who opened the floodgates over the past 13 years as a deliberate policy. - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6418456/Labour-wanted-mass-immigration-to-make-UK-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html

Mick

budget has annoyed me no end more cuts to working familys like mine having to pay yet more national insurance and tax from our low wages and yet i live on an estate where most of my neighbours wont be affected as none of them work or are willing too!!!! they have there rent, council tax all paid for them! there answer to there cash flow problems is f**k it lets have another kid then me dull money goes up! yet the familys that try to make the difference get stung the most i really dont get it!

i am self employed, i work, i have a mortgage, i pay my tax's, i pay bills. The people of this country should have listened to what Enoch Powel said then the country would not be in the mess it is now. There are too many that could work but refuse too. Too many single parent families that have kids just to get more money from people like me that work for a living.

Before i say what i REALLY think and Val slaps me i will stop

Rant over

Steve

steve i agree with SOME of what you're saying.......not a fan of enoch's rivers of blood speech myself if that's the one you're talking about..............

i have worked since i was 13, my mum was a single mum who worked 2 jobs 1 full and 1 part time, we had NO money, we lived hand to mouth and sometimes not even that.

i left my job and was unemployed from oct 09-jan 10 and couldn't claim any benefits what so ever not job seekers, not council tax benefit, not sick pay nothing.....that makes me wonder wtf is going on with our country.....

Ah well, cant do much about it LOL ... Balls to the lot of em LOL

Other than vote for what you believe in of course .. BUT HANG ON A SEC ... cant even do that anymore can we LOL. Even screwed that one up :D

my main concern with it is the fact mikey is due a pay increase next year of close to £2,000...that will affect us a lot...if he doesn't get it (he's a copper)...but as he is still in probation he should still get it as it's not a pay rise in the truest form...god i'm so worried about that.