Fur loss in Tail

My huskie is losing fur in its tail, I checked all around the house and outside and could not find any hair anywhere. I know to take him to the vet but I wanted to get opinions first. He is on flee and tick meds so I know that is not why. He is 9 months old. Here are some pictures! Please help!

100_1385.jpg

100_1386.jpg

100_1387.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, welcome to the forum. That is odd. It almost looks like he's been chewing on it or someone has hacked it off. Not saying that's what happened, just that it looks like it. How long of a period has this taken place? (1 day, several days, a week)

Unfortunately, it is difficult to diagnose over the Internet. I would ask if he was blowing his coat, but that usually involves primarily the undercoat. His tail looks like the coarse hairs are gone. I would have it checked out.

I got home from work and took him out and I did not notice him at all.  He is blowing his coat right now but we brush them once a week when they are. He is crated from 9-3 but on my hour break he is let outside for the entire time.  Today at lunch I did not notice it.  I didnt even notice it until I bought him back in from letting him out after work.  I checked his stomach for fleas or ticks and not see any at all.  I even got a jeweler's loupe and looked. So honestly it looked like it happened only when I brought him outside.  He was outside for about 30 minutes.  

He does not get nervous when we leave, we broke both of our dogs of the early by freezing peanut butter and putting it in Kongs and giving that to them after every time we left the house.  That broke them very quickly.  When we leave he just lays down and acts fine.  

He is fed Wellness Puppy Diet, the same food he has been fed all his life.  Our older female gets fed wellness core and went from wellness puppy to wellness core for her entire life too.  He is still very active and acts himself.  

We are so worried a> 

Also will it grow back like normal if he has been chewing on it or if something happened to it?

I called my vet but they did not answer so that is why I am turning to the internet. My female is 3 years old and my male is 9 months and they get along great. They are kept in separate crates during the day of course.

Hmmm it is a bit strange, mine loses the end of his but thats norm when some big ass stranger stands on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this is weird but foxes pull out their own fur 2 line their dens, have u found some on his bedding or under it, does he have a fav spot in the garden, i know uv said uv looked everywhere but they can be crafty buggers !!!!

Long shot but its the 1st thing i thought of when i saw it.

hello all, my husky at the minute has a similiar problem but he is pulling out fur on his left leg and actually chewing it, we took him to the vet and were told he had a lack of fibre in his diet and he was examined and also a blocked anal gland, so after a finger up his wotsit(ouch) and was givin a steriod injection all the while he sat there as good as gold,he now gets wholemeal toast in the mornings for the fibre and also cereal sprinkled over his proper grub also for the fibre(hes better fed than me : ) this may not be the same problem but i definately think a trip to the vet would be worthwhile even for your own piece of mind!!

• 1 year later...

Hey there,

I found your post on your husky's tail being all tattered and lacking fur. My 9 month old husky has been having the same problem, and we're going nuts trying to figure it out. He's been doing it to his legs as well.

Did you ever figure it out? So far we've tried switching his foods, he's now on a prescription skin food, single protien, single carb, venison and potato, but it doesn't seem to be working.

We've tried flea medication and 3 different allergy meds, also with no luck.

Please tell me you've figured it out.

What can you tell me about the personality of your husky? I'm just wondering if perhaps it psychological.

Mine's a young male, it started at about 6.5 months, and is still going, he's 9 months now. He's Super dominant, and very bitey, not aggressive though. We crate him during the day when no one is home, but when my wife is around he is out.

I hope you've figured it out, and your dog is better, and if not, hopefully we can figure it out together.

have you checked his anal glands? Sometimes this can cause chewing of the base of the tail, sides and hind legs. I'm guessing from your post you've already been to the vet but if they haven't checked the glands its worth a go.

Have you tried bitter apple spray on the fur? I have to use it with my rottie as she is a licker and gives herself a rash.

Has he been neuterd yet? Sometimes the male hormone causes itching and hair loss. I've seen it a few times at work. Within months of castration it all stops and the hair grows in normally.

Alternativly you could try a buster collar when you are not around to correct the chewing behaviour. Giving the hair a chance to grow back in and see if he still mutilates once his coat is normal

xx

have you checked his anal glands? Sometimes this can cause chewing of the base of the tail, sides and hind legs. I'm guessing from your post you've already been to the vet but if they haven't checked the glands its worth a go.

Have you tried bitter apple spray on the fur? I have to use it with my rottie as she is a licker and gives herself a rash.

Has he been neuterd yet? Sometimes the male hormone causes itching and hair loss. I've seen it a few times at work. Within months of castration it all stops and the hair grows in normally.

Alternativly you could try a buster collar when you are not around to correct the chewing behaviour. Giving the hair a chance to grow back in and see if he still mutilates once his coat is normal

is he on any medicated baths like episooth or malaseb to help with the itching?

xx

Thanks for the reply, sorry, i know this thread is old, but it's exactly what my dog is doing.

Yes, he's been to the vet, and we have checked his anal glands, no issues there. He was neutered at 4.5 month. he is not currently on any medicated baths, but we have tried several allergy medications all with no luck.

it could be psychological. Do you ever catch him at it? Is there a patteren to this behaviour that you've seen?

If its only happening when your out then it could be a behaviour to eliviate stress. Chewing and licking produces chemicals in the brain that settle the dog. If you haven't already tried it then leaving him with a rawhide/nylabone/kong may help as its something he can chew on that's good for him rather than chewing on himself.

Does he like his crate? Goes in their out of choice? or he has to be put in there and doesn't choose to go in on his own when your around?

No skin scrapes yet, i'm assuming this is to test for allergies? If so it's next on our list.

He has chew toys in his crate, but they don't seem to help. He does this both when we are around and when he is alone. We do our best to stop him when we catch him, but we don't know what would be causing this.

As for his crate, he's either out with us, or in the crate, at this point he's not really allowed freedom around the house for him to choose to do either, so i couldn't tell you if he likes it.

• 8 years later...

I’m having the same issue with my Siberian husky mixed with Norwegian elkhound. She’s female and I don’t know what to do. I’m very confused and worried about her she’s a little over a year old now and I don’t know what’s wrong if you have any information that would be very helpful. Thank you.  

7 hours ago, TJbelle said:

I’m having the same issue with my Siberian husky mixed with Norwegian elkhound. She’s female and I don’t know what to do. I’m very confused and worried about her she’s a little over a year old now and I don’t know what’s wrong if you have any information that would be very helpful. Thank you.  

Do you have pictures? 
Is it because he chews it? I used Bitter apple spray. For most dogs Apple cider vinegar would deter them from chewing and is great for keeping hot spots from getting infected. (My pups love the taste and would lick each other)🤣

Took my boy a year to grow his tail back