2010 World Cup

Well its almost time. What a few years it has been for South Africa in preparation for the cup. Billions and billions has been spent on infrastructure and preparations.

New stadiums have been built

A new airport has been built

Extensive renovations to existing airports have been completed

A new high speed train line has been built

Most roads have had extensive work done and are fantastic

Hotels and guesthouses (who are on average excellent already) have gone the extra mile to ensure extremely high standards are maintained.

Thousands of security personnel have been trained

The list is endless - for a developing country, this has been a huge challenge, but after the world cup we will still have the infrastructure which is fantastic.

I truly hope that everything goes according to plan and that it all goes off without any serious problems. Good luck to all - and may your team win smile.gif

Oh yes, the first soccer hooligans from Argentina have been sent home!!!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great that so much change has been made to get to this point :)

How far away from the games are you Rosemary?

I think there are 8 games being played in Cape Town which is about one hours drive from us, the rest are all being played up-country.

If we have spent so much on the World Cup, I shudder to think what the UK will be spending in preparation for the Olympics!!!

Well it 2007 it was £9.3 billion, it's probably at £10 billion now no doubt.

9.3 billion British pounds = 104.897535 billion South African rands

10 billion British pounds = 112.793049 billion South African rands

Woa thats alot!!:blink:

I dont really follow foot ball but have drawn Switzerland and Chile in the sweep stakes at work.. they are both in the same group but am thinking i won't get very far with those teams!:P

Yet I am......half German.....(waiting for the looks of dismay) ....so I always like to help my mum root for them as well as England!:D