Sarah, pouches in thier cheeks, like hamsters! It's sooooo funny!! biggrin.gif

Linda, Kodi LOVES rats, he thinks they are toys, which is why we keep them in a separate room. he can see them but can't get to them. Funnily enough, the Cat shares the room with them and he isn't bothered at all. They can be running around and he just ignores them! Infact, none of my Cats have ever bothered with them.

Auryn is going to get big tho, her Dad is almost 2ft long WITHOUT his tail!!

Yeah they are really hard to get hold of. There are only two breeders anywhere near me, and they only breed twice a year. They are still classed as wild so they are completely different to look after and need daily handling to stay hand-tame. They need a different diet and lots of fresh fruit and veg, and are also susceptible to extremes of temperature (we have a heat mat for if it's cold). They are used in Gambia to detect landmines and things, check out

www.herorat.org for info.

If anyone wants one, the breeder I got Auryn from, who is also a friend of mine, still has a boy and a girl for homing (Auryn's brother and sister). check out www.ukpouchies.co.uk and click on current litters.

As a rule, if they are the first you have owned it may be better to have a female as males can get aggressive around puberty. A bite can land you in A&E.

Always a good idea to research too! They are quite specific, and although they are fine to live alone, they need daily input and lots to keep them occupied. When Auryn comes home I'll put some pics on of the set up we have (it looks naff atm cus theres no rat!).

If anyone wants to know anything I don't mind sharing some info, and if I don't know I know plenty of people who will :)

• 1 year later...

Bloody hell, that's HUGE :)

knew a guy who had a rat once he called it Boomtown. . . lol