IE 8 Slow as Molassess in January

Mazz

Friday night, while on this site, all of a sudden, IE 8 started to slow down. I'm on cable, so it's normally extremely fast. I closed IE and reopened. It was fine for a few minutes, then slowed way down again. Rebooted the machine. Same outcome; started browsing rather quickly then in a few minutes, slowed to a crawl. Problem was with all sites.

Running Windows 7 Professional with McAfee Total Protection.

Checked eventvwr, nothing stood out to indicate a problem.

Downloaded Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Both browsers work fine. No problems. So I suspect something in IE 8 has become corrupt.

Here's my speeds using IE 8:

Download Speed: 155 kbps (19.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 54 kbps (6.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Here's my speeds using FireFox:

Download Speed: 11399 kbps (1424.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 940 kbps (117.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

And my speeds using Google Chrome:

Download Speed: 10554 kbps (1319.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 927 kbps (115.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm going to next try to uninstall IE 8 and reinstall.

Any ideas?

Erm. . . .Stop using IE it's crap. . .!!!

Sorry just an honest opinion.

uninstalling ie8 and reinstalling it paws crossed - should fix the error although i have no idea what it might be blink.gif

That's what I've been looking into. Problem is, IE does not show up in the list of programs, nor in the list of updates, to enable uninstalling. I'll check the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Erm. . . .Stop using IE it's crap. . .!!!

Sorry just an honest opinion.

After using FireFox, I have to agree.

i have used all three

Used Firefox for a couple of years and now use Google Chrome

Fast and friendly.

That's what I've been looking into. Problem is, IE does not show up in the list of programs, nor in the list of updates, to enable uninstalling. I'll check the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

How to get rid of it. . . .

1st you must be logged in as administrator. . . .

If you are the only person who logs in then thats you. . .

Steps for Windows 7

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

• Close all programs.
  • Click StartVistaStartButton.jpg, and then click Control Panel.
  • Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
  • In the tasks pane, click Turn Windows features on or off.
  • In the list of windows features, clear the check box next to Internet Explorer 8.
  • You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

Internet Explorer 8 will now be uninstalled. The system will restart after the installation.

How to get rid of it. . . .

1st you must be logged in as administrator. . . .

If you are the only person who logs in then thats you. . .

Steps for Windows 7

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

• Close all programs.
  • Click StartVistaStartButton.jpg, and then click Control Panel.
  • Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
  • In the tasks pane, click Turn Windows features on or off.
  • In the list of windows features, clear the check box next to Internet Explorer 8.
  • You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

Internet Explorer 8 will now be uninstalled. The system will restart after the installation.

Ah, I ran into that, but was not sure that would infact uninstall it. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

That will indeed uninstall the program in windows 7 and not just remove the icons ...

At a guess I would say its probably spyware causing it, or maybe even mcafee.... Would check your firewall settings to ensure its not blocking the program, in particular java as its the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that IE runs differently to the others (virtual java machine) so may run on a different port to the others.

As was stated, get rid of IE. Actually, you don't have to uninstall it, just don't use it at all, and don't have it set up as the default browser.

Second, McAfee is kind of bloated software also. I'd suggest switching to something else. Personally, I use NOD32, Spyware Doctor, and Search&Destroy. All 3 programs have a small footprint on resources, and I haven't gotten a virus or any malware in years.

i would run a full system scan for viruses, spyware and malware.

also when it comes to virus protection nod32 is probably the best paid one, and avg best free one

norton is the worst, and mcafee is also very bad, they are slow and eat system resources

with windows vista and windows 7 the firewall and defender and a third party virus software are usually enough

i personally have never had a virus infect my system, avg has picked up a few.

i have installed extra malware/spyware scanners, but they have never picked anything up, so windows is doing a good job.

i personally use google chrome, it is fast and even has a spell checker built into it which is nice