DUST and FLUFF

Chezell

Just a quick question for the IT professionals

What is the best way to keep your PC tower free from dust and fluff?

Mine is always filthy and with 3 furbabies I'm sure it can only get worse

Normally I just stick the hoover hose down each side, but the other day I dropped something down the back of the unit an so pulled the tower forward and OMG I could have filled a bag with the amount dust and fluff there was sticking to the cables and wires.

Is there anything I should be doing or paying particular attention to?

you cant really stop it exactly, you can only remove it once it is there. 

what i would do is:

Open and dust your PC at least once a year. - Unscrew or unlatch your PC’s case and use a can of compressed air to blow any accumulated dust from the motherboard, adapter cards, and cables . If allowed to accumulate, that dust can act as a heat-retaining blanket over your PC’s circuitry, and overheated components have a significantly shorter lifespan.

Remove dust that’s settled on the fan blades. - use your compressed air to get rid of any additional dust on fan blades and within air intake holes . To properly ventilate and cool your PC, these openings need to be free of dust bunnies.

Wipe down your PC’s case and your monitor with a clean, dry cloth every few months. - You should never use any household solvents to clean your PC’s case, but antistatic cleaning solutions and cloths are made just for cleaning computer hardware.

do this and ur computer should be fine. hope it helps

NEVER NEVER NEVER put a vacuum hose inside a pc, vacuums create static electricity, and that will kill your pc.

the best thing to do with dog fur is to clean the outside of the pc every 2 weeks, and every 6-12 months blow out the inside with can of compressed air, bear in mind that opening your pc will void any warranty it may have

On a nice day.

Unplug ALL the cables from your PC open it up and take it outside

With your can of Compressed air THEN blow out all the dust n fluff n stuff.

A years worth of PC dust can fill your room with a fog of fine particles.blink.gif

NOT good to breathe in !!sad.gif

Do it outside .biggrin.gif

you can't really stop it - the dust / fur is attracted to the static that's in your comp, only way to keep it clean is to clean it regularly sad.gif compressed air works wonders! Good idea to do it outside if you can as andy says lol

so glad you posted this topic, I've scratched my head for 4 years trying to get over this problem & now we have Diesel as well, the fur has doubled (or trebled, he is a big lad after all! :lol: )

Some great advice, especially taking it outside to blow the dust, having asthma, the dust would kill me! :lol:

NEVER NEVER NEVER put a vacuum hose inside a pc, vacuums create static electricity, and that will kill your pc.

the best thing to do with dog fur is to clean the outside of the pc every 2 weeks, and every 6-12 months blow out the inside with can of compressed air, bear in mind that opening your pc will void any warranty it may have

Good advice about the vac David but you are wrong on the Voiding warranty by opening your computer, this was outlawed a few years ago now when companys used to say this but they are not aloud to any more they dont even put the seals on most new comps now a days as theres no point.