Teaching Come

Hello all,

Its been a while since we have posted on here but I had a quick question. Missy is crate trained and when she whines or needs to go potty I take her outside directly from her crate. I think she has caught onto this and whenever I tell her to "come" she won't. She will just stay there and wait and wait and wait. I think she has associated me calling her to going outside. Funny thing is when my wife calls her she will run out of the crate down the hall and right into one of the other rooms. Maybe its an estrogen connection that her and I don't have but I'd like for her to be a bit more receptive to me when I call her :).

Hmmm some thing similar came up a week or go in a post the general feeling was they just like to be a pain in the ass lol. My dog will stay out side 90% of the time as if i dont exist unless she choses to come in lol even if its raining she loves to be out side but i don't use a crate. I know others have the same issue of it becoming a chase like game to get them in and some just shut the door an give up lol.

How much time does she spend in the crate she may associate coming in with going back in it hence a bit of reluctance.!

It's not about the dog just being difficult, but the recall not being rewarding or valuable to them. When you call her, do you ever reward her? Do you ever practice the recall command at other times when you're not going to bring her inside?

She comes in and goes outside fine. THe issue for me is trying to get her out of her crate. She will whine a bit, I unlock the crate, and tell her to come. She looks at me and just lays there. If my wife calls her she runs out of the crate. Maybe I should give her a treat to get her out for a little while.

So its not that she wont come in from the garden its that she wont come out of her crate when you open it for her?

When you teach recall its always got to be a posative experience. Never call your dog to you if your doing to do something it doesnt like using your recall word. It will then associte coming to you with the bad thing and will not respond. If you need to do something unpleasent then use a lure like a treat or a toy. If its general recall then its the word "come" then followed by the treat/toy.

Right so getting her out the crate. She may wish to stay in there because its her safe space. How long is she in there at a time? A crate is designed to be a safe secure place for a dog and they are supposed to want to be in there and enjoy their time in there. Its their securety blanket.

If she doesnt want to come out I wouldnt try to force her. I'd open up then walk away and leave her to come out in her own time. You can try luring her out with food/toys, but if shes happy in there it really would be better to let her come out on her own.

She is in her crate when she naps. When she awakes she will whine a bit as her sign to be let out. Once she does this I open up the crate and walk away and tell her to come. She just plops down and stares at me like I have a huge booger hanging out of my nose. I know she has to go potty but it takes forever to get her out. At the same time my wife will call her and she will come running out. Its weird but we will keep working on it. Maybe its the girls preparing to stage a mutiny to take down the king of the castle?

Hey there ^_^ Does your wife do any training with her involving treats or what not. I know with Kiana she used to hate coming out of her crate unless she wanted to. So what I did was start small by teaching her sit/stay and moved up to come outside and away from her crate. Now at first she stared at me like I was speaking Latin. I would move back to her and show her I still had the treat and then move back a very little ways say come and when she moved toward me I gave her the treat and praised her. It took a bit but she did learn and quite well. Now when I say it it mostly works but if she's distracted naturally she goes deaf LOL obviously we have much more work to do yet.

I would suggest teaching her come on a sort of neutral ground with no distractions around. You made need another person to hold onto her when you do it if she doesn't know/won't stay when you move away. Once she's started to respond well on your training rounds I would move to trying it in her crate. I would show her the treat move back, where she can see you but a descent distance, and say come. Then I would move out of her site and say it and hopefully she'll catch on quickly as most huskies tend to do I think.

She maybe just stubborn to lol I know with my Corgi mix if she doesn't wanna come out from under my bed, no matter if she's been under there all freaking day, she just won't. Sometimes they want to feel like they are with you by having the door open but just don't wanna leave there spot lol. I think at times they feel it's a barrier to their pack and just want the ability to get up when they feel like it LOL.

If you need any other help pm me I'm in washington as well so I'm around to help if I can ^_^ I've only had my girl for a few months but I'm learning so much about her every single day and it's really interesting to see how much she is like other huskies in personality and odd quirks lol.

Thanks for the reply. We are in the Puyallup area. I do majority of the training which is probably 80% treat reward training. I am the one that plays with her majority of the time, but who knows why she doesn't come out. I will keep at it. Its not like she doesn't come , it just takes forever and a day for her to do it while my wife calls her and shes zooming out of the crates almost knocking me down.

Make it a game. Try opening the crate and running in the opposite direction and calling her after you, or showing her a treat and throwing it away from the crate (so she goes to get it), or taking out a toy and squeaking it and encouraging her to come out and play with you etc.