Bank Details - Warning!!

Marc

Hi Everyone,

I advise that you read this topic very carefully as this is very dangerous. I have become aware today that there are people on the site exchanging bank details etc via the use of our messenger system. I understand that you may pay for things on the internet all the time, however you need to bare these things in mind.

1. When using a shopping cart and using your card when on sites such as ebay, amazon etc etc the card details are not stored. They are entered into the banking system, the transaction takes place and the details are not stored at any time.
  2. These sites also use an https connection rather than http. This means that it is a secured, encrypted data connection and therefore cannot be intercepted very easily.
  3. The data when transfered from your computer, right until the point it hits the bank is fully encrypted and can only be descrypted by the bank itself.

So what does this mean??

When you send bank details through our site, none of the above applys. The messages are stored in the database, they are not encrypted in any way. They can be viewed by myself, Invision at times when we need support, by our hosts at any time they wish. This is specified in the terms and conditions that everyone has recently recieved a copy of.

Now yes I understand that these people you may be expected to trust, however lets bare in mind a further sinario which is of most concern. We run a piece of forum software that is one of the biggest kinds on the internet. These things get hit all the time by hackers (and if you think its unlikley, ours has been hit so far 3 times in 18 month that I know of).

If someone hacks our site, they will usually use a form known as sql injection. Now I dont expect you to know what this is, however simply understand this one concept of it.

SQL INJECTION MEANS THEY HAVE ACCESS TO ALL THE DATABASE, INCLUDING ANY BANK DETAILS YOU SEND VIA THE MESSENGER SYSTEM!!!!!

As a side note to this .... they have all been removed from the database

gd advice, u should never give bank details out over a forum as you dont really know who could view it, and never buy from a site that does not have the HTTPS, as u said this means its secure when it has the S on the end. 

Thanks Marc, Great Information.

Anyone selling anything Via this site should set up a PAYPAL account and conduct the transaction via Paypal.

Alternativley set up a shop on EBAY through which you HAVE to use Paypal or worldpay or one of the other secure methods.