Bite inhabition - the most important thing you can teach your dog

Thanks for that, my first question after joining was about his biting. I knew it was important to play with him, I wanted advice on how to control his biting as he loves to chew on my arm to play!!! I have tried putting a toy in his mouth instead and will try some of the other techniques.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So glad I found this thread. I have been having a tremendous amount of trouble with my little boy. Bo started his rough mouthing about 2 months ago. He will listen to my husband's every command, but not so much mine. He did stop the really bad biting for a short time, but has now started to bite my hands (sometimes hard, sometimes not) and that was one of the reason's that I was tempted to get rid of him. However, like I said the situation improved, but he has relapsed. I know he is a puppy and sometimes this happens. But sometimes, for no reason at all, he will jump up from wherever he is and run to me in my recliner and jump up and start biting my arms and hands. I am really perplexed. I have read all the above posts and I will try some of your advice. Glad to know I'm not alone on this. BTW, I took him to a trainer for his aggression problem. She picked him up off the floor by his collar and held him until he went limp and was gurgling for air. It was all I could do not to kick her in the face. Sorry, I know that sounds bad on my part, but I thought she almost killed him. She also said I didn't know how to show him who was boss. Needless to say, I never went back. There aren't many trainers here in my area, so it looks like I'm just going to have to train myself. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

I just wanted to say real quick that people who do this to dogs are absolutely wrong. While in the military I saw dogs swung by their leashes (called helicoptering a dog) over trainers heads and then thrown down and it chills me to hear this person saying nearly the same "Show him who's boss" as the military trainers. It's sick and those poor working dogs had so many issues it was sure to come from the dominance outlook. I'm just glad this forum has taught me so much about not being dominant or seeing every issue as dominance related.

I know I post this a long time from when you did but I had to say something.

this is my first post here and ive tried 1 and 2, but seems like 4 is the only one that is yielding successful results. i really dont like grabbing my pups lower jaw as it makes me feel bad and i dont want her to be scared of me. does anyone else have any other suggestions?

i really didnt know much about bite inhibition when my gf and i took her home at 6 weeks. shes 9 weeks today and its a little better, but just seeing if theres another method to stop her from biting. she seems to bite my gf more so than myself, which is odd since she spends more time with her than me since i work.

we named her ice and ill post pics later today.

It sounds like you need to mimic what would have happened when she bit her litter mates.

When she nips you, yelp loudly and turn away from her as if you're really hurt.

She should soon learn to stop it.

thats 1 on the first post. we tried it doesnt work, she thinks were playing and when my gf walks away she nips her legs.

even the first post says he didnt have much success w/ that method.

Only just discovered this thread - I wish I had found it earlier! I have been experimenting with the submission technique - roll them over on their back to force them into submission - works to *some* extent. NOTE - I am NOT *body slamming* as has been discussed on another thread! I will try some of the suggestions that have been posted on here and see if they work for us...

Fab thread, only just spotted it. The 'ow' and stopping the game worked brilliantly with Teeko and even now, if he is too rough and we say the word 'finished', he will stop everything immediately and look up sweetly with those big blues!

I was wondering though, if anyone had any thoughts on managing bite inhibition puppy on dog. Keeta and Teeko are playing really well, they snuggle, they sit together and bounce all over each other. If Teeko gets too rough, Keeta will squeak and he will back off but Keeta seems to be getting very rough with Teeko. He has told her off once but other times I dont think she's hurting him because she grabs the thick hair and fleshy part of his neck. I stop the game if I think it is getting too rough and I have taught them to play together with toys...tug of war...very cute.

Am I on the right lines? Should I be stopping the mouthing altogether or should I be letting Teeko tell her when enough is enough? ( she has only been here a few days so I think it is all still very exciting) Any input would be great!

this is my first post here and ive tried 1 and 2, but seems like 4 is the only one that is yielding successful results. i really dont like grabbing my pups lower jaw as it makes me feel bad and i dont want her to be scared of me. does anyone else have any other suggestions?

i really didnt know much about bite inhibition when my gf and i took her home at 6 weeks. shes 9 weeks today and its a little better, but just seeing if theres another method to stop her from biting. she seems to bite my gf more so than myself, which is odd since she spends more time with her than me since i work.

we named her ice and ill post pics later today.

We got Teeko young also and we found that his biting was worse between about 9 and 12 weeks....almost like we had gone backwards. At this point we had to try every single thing mentioned in the first post and it depended totally on his mood as to which was successful. Though the mimicking another dog and ignoring worked really well for us. At times we had to use other methods, including the bottom jaw and we did feel bad. It was a long few works but I think it was sort of the dark before the dawn.

• 2 weeks later...

My puppy is 10months and we are still working on this, its the difference between when she is calmly playing and when she is in full cookoo state whether or not she will listen and stop. I just keep reminding myself that she is just a puppy and I have to stay consistent, but then again its so hard not to indulge back into the brawl of play.....Husky are so much fun to brawl with! She seems to be getting better at responding to "bite your toy" and getting her toy and bringing it back to the brawl.....the next few years will be interesting:dog3:

My puppy is 10months and we are still working on this, its the difference between when she is calmly playing and when she is in full cookoo state whether or not she will listen and stop. I just keep reminding myself that she is just a puppy and I have to stay consistent, but then again its so hard not to indulge back into the brawl of play.....Husky are so much fun to brawl with! She seems to be getting better at responding to "bite your toy" and getting her toy and bringing it back to the brawl.....the next few years will be interesting:dog3:

We have taught Teeko the word 'Finished' and it basically means the end of the game. No matter how nutty he is it still seems to work. You do have to say it in a good, firm voice and follow it up with folding your arms and completely ignoring the attempts at play but it is a really useful command. Also, try to make sure that you keep your hands in a fist when playing. Not to start punching them out or anything like that haha..just because a fist is harder to grab hold of and they will often (not always) give up and be happy to look for alternative entertainment. Good luck!

We have taught Teeko the word 'Finished' and it basically means the end of the game. No matter how nutty he is it still seems to work. You do have to say it in a good, firm voice and follow it up with folding your arms and completely ignoring the attempts at play but it is a really useful command. Also, try to make sure that you keep your hands in a fist when playing. Not to start punching them out or anything like that haha..just because a fist is harder to grab hold of and they will often (not always) give up and be happy to look for alternative entertainment. Good luck!

Thanks, I've been using "all done", but am guilty of non-consistency. I'll try the fist position thought, and hope her attention span shortens for brawling, which I know it will in time, but I don't want that to be 4yrs from now.

• 4 months later...

I loved this post. I have requested help many times to understand how to get puppy biting to stop. This and the NILIF method have been life savers and have probably stopped us from considering letting our young Maya go. I must also say that we have been focused on a large amount of early socialization with other dogs and Maya is learning bite inhibition from them at a much faster pace than she was with us. Now, when she bites to hard during play all it takes is a "no" and to get up and walk away whereas before she wold follow biting me on the butt :) Thank you so much for all the support. We learned very quickly that even "dog experts" in our area knew very little about the breed. We have learned how to be in charge and this has allowed us to enjoy Maya rather than dread being around her. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks a ton everybody,,,bin facing the same problem with my 7 week old,,,i'v bin trying the ouch technique n it works,,,kinda surprises him and i stop playing after that....he then tries to apologize by licking and biting softer than ever,,,,if he catches me by surprise(they'r little n quick) n grabs a toe then i jus loudly say NO,,,n he backs off,,,sumtyms he doesn and i actually have to do an OUCH....hehe....cheers n keep posting...

• 3 weeks later...

An excellent post, with different methods for different dogs and persons. I taught bite inhibition in Nebraska with "ignore" way, when she bites, I say "No", I ignore her, I wait for a minute and then I play with her with a toy... it's a great way to achieve it.

Thanks for the post!

• 3 months later...

Tala has just started with the nipping. Either during play or just when she gets excited. I shall be trying some of the excellent suggestions listed on here. Great thread and a bump.