Hey, New member

Hello,

Been reading a lot about huskies for a while now having wanted one for just over two years, I am finally in the position to own one :)

Will be picking our black and white male up on the 17th of April.

However I have read a few times that it is advised to never let a husky of the lead loose, but one day I intend to let it of the lead whilst I take it hiking with me. I don't mind having it on a harness but I'd prefer it if he could have his own freedom. Does anybody have any experience with teaching a husky to walk of a lead?

A few years ago I owned a golden lab which would walk beside me, and come back when called but I found I had to do very little training with it, and I know I'm letting myself in for a handful with a husky.

Any hints/tips on better ways to prepare for him coming home would be very much appreciated!

Thank you, I look forward to posting here and will post some pics of him when we get him home :)

i know some people on here who let their dogs off but i wouldnt recommend it, our blaze has got out 3 times and we have been very lucky 2 get him back - 1 was on holiday he got out of the caravan luckily he followed me, the 2nd time he was lured back in by food and the 3rd time he stopped to sniff another dog so we couldd grab him

i dropped his lead once and he just ran luckily he stopped to sniff at a bush or i dont belive we would of got him bk

they have a high prey drive so if they see a rabbit/cat/small animal they will just go for it and forget all the training you have done with them 2 come back

btw welcome to the pack - he is stunning :wub:

hi and welcome to the site xxx congrats on you new husky i bet you can't wait. As for off lead well i'd never let any of mine off unless in a secure place, there are some who have trained their sib to walk off lead, but it's a chance you take. Thay have a very high pray drive, i know not easy to hike with a lead but would you not consider one that goes around your waist or even a very long lead ???

end of the day it is personal chose but if any thing catches his eye he may be off and you may not get him back xxxx

Hi, Adam, welcome to the pack - bet you can't wait to get the little furball!!

I'd have to agree with these guys, we let Myshka walk off lead till she was about 18 months old, then her prey drive got bigger than her wanting to come back to us, so unless in a totally secure area, she is leashed.

Thanks for the replies :)

I think I'll keep him on a lead/harness to be safe :) But thought I'd ask on here first. I think I could figure something out for hiking after some trial and error, perhaps he could pull me everywhere! (joke lol) but at least he will get plenty of exercise :)

I really wanted to take him home when we went to see them! But it gives me plenty of time to prepare for him coming home. I'm really looking forward to having a companion that doesn't mind going outdoor lots and wont whinge (my other half lol).

Also, I have a daughter that just turned one, she was fine with the two adult dogs at the breeders, who didn't seem to mind her curiosity. Should I leave them both to get to know eachother or is their something I can do to help the process?

Thank you :)

Hi Andy, welcome to the pack :D

You probably already know this but a husky is nothing like a lab lol they are stubborn as hell (bit like men tongue.gif ) but a joy to own at the same time :D

I used to let my boys off, their recall was great, one day they saw something more rewarding than the treats I had, or myself for that matter and whoosh - they ended up backwards and forwards across a main road blink.gif now i use a lone training line - you can get 50 or 100 ft ones - this might be better for you to use when you're hiking? You can use them with a walking belt as well so you don't even have to hold the line :up:

Looking forward to seeing you around and to seeing lots more pics - the one's you've posted are lovely :wub: Have you thought of a name for him yet?

i wudntt leave them unattended alone - keep an eye on both pup and child at all times (pups can nip and it hurts!) just make sure the puppy doesnt get 2 rough when playing - as they will nip and dive all over u/ur child and your child cud pull on the dog fall on the dog hurting it

Also, I have a daughter that just turned one, she was fine with the two adult dogs at the breeders, who didn't seem to mind her curiosity. Should I leave them both to get to know eachother or is their something I can do to help the process?

Thank you smile.gif

I would always supervise them together, let her play with him, and teach her how to stroke him etc when he grows up they'll be best friends :)

Thanks again,

ye we wouldn't let a dog alone with our daughter no matter how well we trust them, she's irreplaceable. But we will try and teach her how to be gentle, we are going through a similar process with our bearded dragons. I keep and breed them but their locked up in tanks so don't pose a problem, but shes actually quite good at being nice to them :)

I'm hoping they will make each others up bringing more enjoyable :)

The only name I have thought of I liked the sound of so far is Kai. What do you guys think?

Hey welcome to the pack! He's absolutely gorgeous, and Kai's a lovely name :)

I wouldnt let him off the lead, we've had 3 close calls with kira, we let her off once in a field and she found the 1 hole in the fence and got up onto the train tracks, we got her down 5 minutes before a train came... The 2nd time i clipped her lead onto her tag ring instead of her collar ring by accident, she pulled and the ring broke, she was heading towards a main road but luckily saw a border collie and the man grapped her for us.... The 3rd time she slipped her harness and ran along a main road and almost crossed a very busy roundabout, but stopped to chat to a guide dog thankfully.

We let her off in a fully enclosed dog park, we go 3 times a week and I look forward to tuesdays, wednesdays and saturdays now as its so nice seeing her run about with the other dogs without worrying about her running away or getting hit by a car. We've got a 100ft lead aswell for the park across the road but we dont tend to use it much now we've found the dog park

Hey welcome to the pack! He's absolutely gorgeous, and Kai's a lovely name :)

I wouldnt let him off the lead, we've had 3 close calls with kira, we let her off once in a field and she found the 1 hole in the fence and got up onto the train tracks, we got her down 5 minutes before a train came... The 2nd time i clipped her lead onto her tag ring instead of her collar ring by accident, she pulled and the ring broke, she was heading towards a main road but luckily saw a border collie and the man grapped her for us.... The 3rd time she slipped her harness and ran along a main road and almost crossed a very busy roundabout, but stopped to chat to a guide dog thankfully.

We let her off in a fully enclosed dog park, we go 3 times a week and I look forward to tuesdays, wednesdays and saturdays now as its so nice seeing her run about with the other dogs without worrying about her running away or getting hit by a car. We've got a 100ft lead aswell for the park across the road but we dont tend to use it much now we've found the dog park

Wow a few close calls then!

Think I'll most definitely keep him on a harness :)

hi welcome to the pack i have 2 sibes and 18month old twins misha was a pup when we got her demon was 11months and we never had a problem with either dogs with the kids just kept them supervised only once did the pup pull one of the twins babygrow at the foot but didnt get skin i just told her no and didnt make a fiss about it she never tryed it again the kids love the dogs. i dont let mine off the lead either i couldnt bare loosing them even though a couple of times they have got loose they have came back (luck i think) i bet you cant wait youll have loads of fun with your new addition to your family

Thanks again,

ye we wouldn't let a dog alone with our daughter no matter how well we trust them, she's irreplaceable. But we will try and teach her how to be gentle, we are going through a similar process with our bearded dragons. I keep and breed them but their locked up in tanks so don't pose a problem, but shes actually quite good at being nice to them :)

I'm hoping they will make each others up bringing more enjoyable :)

The only name I have thought of I liked the sound of so far is Kai. What do you guys think?

I have 3 beardies too - post some pics of them in our gallery section for other pets.

As for kids & huskies - they will grow up great together, I'm sure. Usually when you see a husky for adoption, they recommend homes with older children, not through any problems, but huskies play rough! As long as your two are brought up together, they'll be inseparable!