Nexgard Spectra

PaulG

Took one of my dogs to the vets today for his boosters, and he was perscribed Nexgard Spectra

Being nosey i did a google on the new pill and have found a lot of negative info about it, Has any one here used it and had any problems with it as right now packet is sitting on the side

photo_2019-07-29_16-00-32.jpg

My dog takes Nexgard to protect against fleas/ticks and Nexgard Spectra is the more "advanced" version (see below)
Supposedly it prevents heartworm as well, so maybe don't have to give separate heartworm treatment? 
I haven't read the reviews yet... phew, it looks more expensive than Nexgard! 

"Nexgard Spectra is the advanced version of Nexgard. Though its administration and protection time is exactly the same as Nexgard, it provides a wider range of treatment.  Where Nexgard is only effective against fleas and ticks, Nexgard Spectra successfully eliminates fleas, ticks, and intestinal worms as well. Additionally, it prevents heartworm infection when provided regularly."

hmmm yep, there are some questionable reviews...dogs feeling sick, vomiting, etc.

Maybe ask vet why he wanted to prescribe the newer Spectra vs regular old Nexgard,
or if you're free to use whatever tick/flea preventive you prefer? 

1 hour ago, Shepsky5 said:

My dog takes Nexgard to protect against fleas/ticks and Nexgard Spectra is the more "advanced" version (see below)
Supposedly it prevents heartworm as well, so maybe don't have to give separate heartworm treatment? 
I haven't read the reviews yet... phew, it looks more expensive than Nexgard! 

"Nexgard Spectra is the advanced version of Nexgard. Though its administration and protection time is exactly the same as Nexgard, it provides a wider range of treatment.  Where Nexgard is only effective against fleas and ticks, Nexgard Spectra successfully eliminates fleas, ticks, and intestinal worms as well. Additionally, it prevents heartworm infection when provided regularly."

hmmm yep, there are some questionable reviews...dogs feeling sick, vomiting, etc.

Maybe ask vet why he wanted to prescribe the newer Spectra vs regular old Nexgard,
or if you're free to use whatever tick/flea preventive you prefer? 

well the dog its for is my Service dog and i pay roughly £15 a month for complete service, all worming Vacinations  health checks  etc over the year.

They started the new thing as a one hit monthly  treatment that will protect nearly all worms  etc in one thing instead of the hand full of pills and drops to go on back

I was told when i said i tried him on a flea and worm mix tablet last year he had upset tummy (was not same  stuff)  my new vet said if there was any problems i would  be able to get a complete refund and go back to old style

Recommended by our Vet , Liza doesnt seem to have any issues taking it. Seems only available on prescription. Having researched it seems that drugs like frontline no longer work very well. She also takes Drontal for worming

• 1 year later...

Nexgard Spectra is very popular product, from the house of Merial, well every one has their own prospective so can't say about that but still like o add more ore info about product that Nexgard Spectra is a Broad spectrum treatment that cures fleas, ticks and worms. Highly palatable beef flavored chews for a month. I Hope this help you !

Wow Sam  - you sound like you own a big chunk of the Nextguard portfolio!    I wont use any neurotoxin on my dogs  -  herbal all the way   - my boys have not had any sign of fleas for over 2 years.

Archived