2 questions

1. once they have gone thru their grumpy teenager stage do they calm down around other dogs?
  2. Blazes nose had a little red spot on it not his actually nose but his muzzle - and now its got redder and bigger - what cud it b? and what can i do for it? - i'll try and get a pic ov it 2moz

I think the grumpy stuff will dissapear depending on the time and effort put in to get rid of the problems. From what I saw of him the other day it seems its not just around other dogs, but the smell of other dogs on people too which is a little worryin but keep working with him and I'm sure it can be sorted...

hes never done it 2 any1 else, i went round my aunties last night and both me and my mum had my aunties dog sit on our laps and he even licked me and blaze just sniffed at us (hes NEVER met this dog b4) i dont no y but hes only bin as bad as he was when hes around kimba and kaiser - like i sed a couple ov weeks back he had a grumble at a puppy but then he started playing with it

he wasnt too bad 2day we saw 5 dogs 3 on a walk then 2 when i went 2 get my lil bro from sch he only grumbled at 1 dog cuz it barked at him and he only pulled 2 get at 1 dog aswell

oh and also last week walking back from work i saw this woman with her dog and we ended up chattin (we see each other ALL the time lol) and i was fussin her dog n he put his paws up 2 me n everythin and when i got home blaze again just sniffed me also when my cousins sumtimes bring their dogs down my nans when im there and i give them a fuss this doesnt make blaze growl or grumble at me or my family he just sniffs us then goes off 2 do whatever he was doing or he demands a walk lol

Do you keep Blaze in a crate? What you're describing sounds like something a lot of the boarding dogs at my kennel get when they rub their faces on the wire cages.

nope hes never been crated apart from once at 8 weeks when he hurt his leg and needed rest and he was only in there for about 10 mins cuz he worked himself up so much he threw up

can't help you with the grumpy teenager stage - my boys haven't reached that part yet - if Kimba has i missed it lol he's actually calmed down rather than gone nuttier lol

the spot could be a snow nose? Come on where's your pics? lol

Re the teenage question - the short answer is basically no. Dogs respond to things through learned behaviour, they learn by experimenting, gaining success and forming a habit. Once a habit is created it isn't going to go away - you have to break it by teaching them an alternative behaviour. Don't count on him settling down, because the longer you leave it the more ingrained the habit (i.e. playing up around other dogs) becomes and therefore, the harder it is to break. If you want to see a change in his behaviour act now.

Dogs can calm down a bit as they get older in that they become a bit less active but that can take years.

Re the teenage question - the short answer is basically no. Dogs respond to things through learned behaviour, they learn by experimenting, gaining success and forming a habit. Once a habit is created it isn't going to go away - you have to break it by teaching them an alternative behaviour. Don't count on him settling down, because the longer you leave it the more ingrained the habit (i.e. playing up around other dogs) becomes and therefore, the harder it is to break. If you want to see a change in his behaviour act now.

Dogs can calm down a bit as they get older in that they become a bit less active but that can take years.

hey Bec thanks for the reply :) i am teaching him that its not ok 2 jump up at people (which he has now learnt - bar a few ppl who he knows but they dont help callin his name in a high pitched voice ect) and he is being much better weve seen ALOT ov cats the past couple ov days and hes not pulled 2 get any even when bings tried 2 get a cat he just looked at it then carried on walking :D and he was great yesterday he only growled at 1 dog and he didnt do that till it barked at him so im guessin im on the right path with him?

guess ill just keep it up and keep doing what im doing :)

sarah - re: teenage spots? do u no if it will just go on its own or do i need 2 get him sum cream for it or anythin?