Introducing to Cats

Sqwidge

Ok, if all goes well with the breeder on Sunday and we pick a pup, she emailed me last week to tell me that she has 6 pups, 2 weeks old (i've known her for about 3/4 years now), we will be bringing him/her home in about 5/6 weeks.....we have 2 cats, what is the best way to introduce them to eachother?

One of them is extremely skittish and is scared of her own shadow, and when we lived with mike's (my husband) family, who have 3 dogs, she hid a lot and peed on my clothes (very annoying!)...but then they are all older dogs, rather than a puppy...hmm

The other is pretty laid back and even began to get used to the dogs by the time it came to us moving out, we were there for about 3 years, so not so worried about her. I just want to make sure i handle it correctly as they will all be a family rather than 'lodgers' at someone elses house iyswim?

hmmmm, not a straight forward one i don't think. Each introduction is different, I can only go off how i've done it firstly when i brought kimba home and again today when i brought kaiser home. Having said that - my cat (Bella) doesn't like people let alone cats lol.

I would leave the cats outside and let the puppy get used to it's new home, and then bring in the cats, one at a time? or both, not sure on that one, the pup will more than likely want to play with them, but will soon learn that getting too close will result in a scratch on the nose or worse lol

I think Kimba has learnt from his mistakes now and stays away, unless she torments him then he woofs at her lol

http://www.petlibrary.co.uk/cat-care/introducing-cats-dogs.html?Itemid=25

This link seems to have some good advise on about cats and dogs together.

Although it is well known that dogs and cats don't get along, it is possible for them to live alongside each other in harmony. I would suggest a gradual introduction with your cat which is skittish. When you get your puppy, keep your puppy in a small area on the first night so they get used to the surroundings but also let you cats be free to wonder through the house and then they are free to come over to the puppy as and when they please.