norton anti-virus

norton is FAR too intrusive i've found. sometimes it gets screwed up and disables your use of the internet. each august as thousands of students move back onto campus (i work in IT support at a large public U) one of the tools deployed to the techs is meant specifically for removing norton. we've found it does more harm than good. i don't know much about avg but it wouldnt take much for it to be better than norton. on campus we use mcafee so at the very least i feel like i could suggest that as another alternative.

Not really sure Marc is advising the use of AVG as he uses Avast himself blink.gif

Ah ya see there is a good reason for that :) ..... Would always use either avast or AVG. Avast IMO being the better one of the two. The problem with this is that avast requires a free registration every 12 months and the amount of peoples systems I've installed it on that after that 12 month when they get the nag box simply ignore it and therefore dont get the updates is unreal.

My honest opinion is that if you installed avast then when it comes up with "you need to reregister for another 12 month" box your likely to wonder what the hell to do with it, then download AVG. If your ok with it though, then download avast as it's definately better.

Norton is a good antivirus as far as doing the job it was designed for. The problem with norton is that it attaches itself to far to much within your computer and is a massive hog on the resources of your computer. This tends to become more of a problem than half of the adware etc you get on your computer causes itself. Or to put it in english, it slows your computer down to a grinding halt.