Children banned from wearing swim goggles

Dunc

laugh.gif You're going to wish I'd stayed away but I can see their point, once you get past the headline. They have said that kids shouldn't wear goggles during swimming lessons unless there are medical grounds, because as well as learning the swimming strokes, kids have to learn confidence in water, including water splashing into their eyes. I can understand that, if a kid has never got water in their eyes, if they should ever accidentally fall into water, they may panic when they can't see clearly cos of the water in their eyes? Also, if you've ever worn goggles - and I'm sure we all have - you'll know how steamed up they can get and can impair your vision more so than if you just close your eyes under water and reopen them. Poor council, if they mollycoddle the kids they get bashed, and if they want to toughen them up a bit they get bashed, can't win.

Sorry guys, its a bit of a non news day story for me, lets show everyone how ridiculously pc the council is. If the swimming association have the same guidelines, I'd like to think they know what they're talking about, having learnt from experiencebiggrin.gif

with contacts its kinda hard not to use them. a trick i was taught by a swimming instructor when i was younger was to (and you prolly won't like this) spit a little in the goggles and rub it around and rinse it out. seemed to work well and a quick google search shows plenty of pages that seem to agree. ymmv.