8 week old puppy aggression

littlemoonhowler

My husband and I decided to get a husky, he's wanted one for a while now and I just wanted a puppy lol. So I was searching for husky puppies on Craigslist, we found a "breeder" (I'll explain why the quotes in a bit) and bought a female puppy and named her luna.
She's a gorgeous and sweet baby but recently there have been issues, mainly her growling and even snapping at me when I go to pick her up, not playful growling, very aggressive and snarling. Now this is only sometimes but its gotten to be more frequent. She has no issues with me taking toys or food from her, she does play really really rough and doesn't know when to quit. We took her to the vet last week because we started noticing worms in her stool, and figured she was due for her next set of deworming meds.

The vet told us that the date on her sheet for her first set of shots was done too early and that they wouldn't count because she still had mom's antibodies which canceled out the vaccines. I'm beginning to wonder if the "breeder" even took her to get dewormed or shots and didn't just write down that she got her vaccinated herself. There was no mention of being dewormed on the shot record which strikes me as odd. She also has a rash on her paw and some missing fur on her tail, seller said it was from flees but the vet said it looked like puppy mange. We got her another set of dewormer and she's going in for her first set of shots in a few weeks as the doctor didn't want to give her shots with her not feeling well (diarrhea and some vomiting)

Also from what I've read online, puppies that were separated too early from mom will have behavioral issues like not knowing when to settle down as well as playing too roughly, two issues she really has. Other than that and the growling she's a really loving and sweet girl. We were not allowed to see the living conditions that she was in, we also don't know a lot about when they were taken from mom and overall with everything going on the seller seems very sketchy. How can I correct the growling and snapping issue? Thats my main concern, I've had puppies and I kinda know how to deal with the play biting. I have a toddler and I can't have her being aggressive when she gets bigger and can cause serious harm and I obviously don't want to give up on her.

My Marley was taken from mum & siblings too early and I also had problems with biting when playing.  He also resource guards, although never bitten us whilst guarding, we just know not to push it (I actually can take things off him if I need to  -but I don't push it) -  he has bitten our other dog, who is 11,  twice quite badly though  -  and at the time he was only around 11 months old!    As for the play biting  -  I used to yelp (far louder than necessary) and turn my back on him or push him away, or even put him outside the room for a 'time out'.   Normally their parents or siblings will do that sort of training.

Dogs are naturally 'pack' animals and dislike being separated from their 'pack'  -  I found that to be of most use - he no longer play bites -and is in fact very gentle with us.

I really hope you get your poor fur baby sorted  - poor little mite has had a very rough start.

Yeah, I'm more concerned about her growling when I pick her up, (I try not to do it often but sometimes it is necessary) and it seems to be if she's just gotten in trouble or is in a particularly grumpy mood she is even more aggressive with the growling and even snaps at us. My son is my main concern about this behavior because he's young and he wants to love on our dogs. (We have a lot of dogs) 

i try to give her a treat when I pick her up and she doesn't growl but I'm not sure it's helping :( 

My boy used to growl when held or hugged from I got him at 9 weeks, he's never been aggressive though, but still today at 2 and a half years old he'll growl most of the times when you hug him or hold on to him tightly...he jyst does not like it. My girl loves it though!
I'd say something probably happened at the breeder before you got him...sounds very sketchy to me! Maybe try clicker training with him if you're familiar how to and start with just touching him and giving a treat if he does not growl. Then gradually work your way up to just picking him up for second or too...

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Husky Owners mobile app

Its not often, mainly when she's getting to riled up and needs to go into her kennel. She is a stubborn thing and doesn't listen so I'll scoop her up and take her to the kennel, or if she's getting ready to have an accident or in the process of having one I pick her up. Maybe it is one of those she just isn't a fan of being lifted or hugged. Which I won't be lifting her once she gets a bit older.

Its not often, mainly when she's getting to riled up and needs to go into her kennel. She is a stubborn thing and doesn't listen so I'll scoop her up and take her to the kennel, or if she's getting ready to have an accident or in the process of having one I pick her up. Maybe it is one of those she just isn't a fan of being lifted or hugged. Which I won't be lifting her once she gets a bit older.

Get a house training lead instead , it's a long lead without a handle so it doesn't get caught on anything

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

It sounds as though she's already associating you picking her up to stopping her doing what she wants to do, husky's are very clever. I'd do as above with a lead then at least you'll be able to train her without her being aggressive.
Husky's can be quite stubborn when they want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived