Today's Husky Teaching @ Sleepy Hollow Huskies

SL76

Baltus poops a [emoji90] I his room. I bring it to his attention, he runs off to the corner with food. I carry him to it & show him what he did was bad. Baltus sees it, I say "No No, Bad Baltus" & smack him on the snout.

While mommy Katrina looks on saying "Ha Busted!"

4845414eeecd4bba2dc6cbbb2935bbd3.jpg&key=f547ab942f1097490f2447eccb49844c46e7bed61313b1da6b35bf454b249cdd31306f36f9ce29c9f9a7307a4cd1c484.jpg&key=fe9108d06e7539f16650cb60afa44a46a3a9a20a595c6780d02269418748a2b8

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners mobile app

I personally would not approve of smacking on the snout to get a point across...it IMO does the opposite ...

btw I have moved your thread ... and

595fd1125ef7a_HOWelcome.jpg.17d80d3d7760582601284ea6620077e1.jpg   TO  595fd11e085c4_HOBanner.thumb.png.7a5dcfe20818ede4238d77854c73138f.png

The problem not just with smacking is also showing a dog what he's done wrong AFTER he's done it , he doesn't understand what your telling him off for , if u catch him in the act a firm no or ahah should be enough u then take him outside , lots of praise when he goes outside and he'll soon learn .
Positive reinforcement is a much better way to train :)

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Oh please! , lol. A light tap on the snout doesn't hurt them, I've done this for years & so have others. Good luck smacking a husky on the butt where all their fur is where they feel nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

The problem not just with smacking is also showing a dog what he's done wrong AFTER he's done it , he doesn't understand what your telling him off for , if u catch him in the act a firm no or ahah should be enough u then take him outside , lots of praise when he goes outside and he'll soon learn .
Positive reinforcement is a much better way to train [emoji4]

I caught him in the act so he knew exactly what he'd done.

I personally would not approve of smacking on the snout to get a point across...it IMO does the opposite ...
btw I have moved your thread ... and
595fd1125ef7a_HOWelcome.jpg.17d80d3d7760582601284ea6620077e1.jpg   TO  595fd11e085c4_HOBanner.thumb.png.7a5dcfe20818ede4238d77854c73138f.png

Our dogs do get treats for good behavior & tricks BUT
There's a big difference between correcting a dog and abusing a dog. How are you going to control your dog when you coddle & don't correct them....a dog that doesn't know how to properly behave that's what people get and then question & post why does my dog behave this way?

Oh please! , lol. A light tap on the snout doesn't hurt them, I've done this for years & so have others. Good luck smacking a husky on the butt where all their fur is where they feel nothing.

Our dogs do get treats for good behavior & tricks BUT
There's a big difference between correcting a dog and abusing a dog. How are you going to control your dog when you coddle & don't correct them....a dog that doesn't know how to properly behave that's what people get and then question & post why does my dog behave this way?

Smacking doesn't do anything positive, I challenge you to find a dog behaviourist who thinks it does

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

smacking tapping whatever you want to call it does not do anything to correct behaviour and the gsd you see in my avatar was a rescue dog (as are all of mine) but nobody could raise a hand to pet him as he would run away in flight mode... a sure sign of being tapped smacked or what the heck you want to call it...

same goes for putting their nose in to pee or poo does not make a single bit of difference...

just an admin note...keep it friendly everybody...

I've never had to hit my dogs , they are all housetrained and well behaved
There are other better training methods you could use to get results , like I said if u caught him in the act a firm no or ahah and taken outside will work a lot better then hitting

Not getting into the smacking or not smacking thing  -  however just the pressure of one adult finger in a smack across the nose can break the delicate bones in the nose.

I don't hit our dogs I tap them and there's nothing wrong with that I've even told my vet of our correction behaviors and even our vet has said tapping on the nose is fine for correcting it will not harm them. All of our dogs behave perfectly and don't feel any aggression whatsoever, if anything they are spoiled to death and know our love and affection.

you do understand with alll the nerve endings in the dogs nose/snout mean a smack is the equivilant to a human being smacked in the genitals as that is the only place with a simular number of nerve endings

please do your dogs a favour and take them to a qualified dog trainer or get a reputable book on dog training

2 hours ago, slewis76 said:

I don't hit our dogs I tap them and there's nothing wrong with that I've even told my vet of our correction behaviors and even our vet has said tapping on the nose is fine for correcting it will not harm them. All of our dogs behave perfectly and don't feel any aggression whatsoever, if anything they are spoiled to death and know our love and affection.

exactly, fully agree. thats why i beat my huskies daily as my vet said it wouldn't harm them........ ........ 

i hope the next time you do this your husky sinks its teeth into your hand. 

Have to say this ... am so glad I have a real vet that does not agree with tapping on the nose at any age...if she did I would have a> reported her b> found myself a real vet....

My husky responds to hand commands and I have never hit him. You need patience and a lot of self discipline when training any dog. You need to spend more time training and correcting not your so called love tap on the nose. Big commitment you've taken on so do it right.. you and your pup will be way better off in the long run.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Husky Owners mobile app

4 hours ago, robke said:

No Rob do not type what you want to type...please....

I assume you are referring to yourself and this is some sort of self control mechanism

I have to say this...... this post has bothered me all day.
Imagine......... every time you, the person, does something that another person finds annoying or wrong and you get a tap in your nose for it, how would you feel after say 3 or 4 taps, you'd snap back and that's what your dog may do to you or worse a child who's walking by you and raises their hand to stroke your dog but your dog thinks it's going to get a tap so it reacts and bites. Tapping, smacking whatever you want to call it is a sign you've lost control, it's abuse, times have changed, it's no longer acceptable to hit your dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

10 hours ago, RJWR said:

I assume you are referring to yourself and this is some sort of self control mechanism

I sure am... I am and admin and therefore have to control myself...:D

Just keep it clean and polite...Mine would not have been...

Absolutely but ill be direct when it comes to issues of hitting a dog. I raised 2 very large F1 generation wolves and never hit them I spent hours a day training them and giving the praises and Love and it works great. No different than how I raised 3 wonderful children. Never did I raise a hand to them. I taught them respect by being an example.

Ive built a snowman for the last 29 years at Christmas for the familys to enjoy in my small town. Now my kids help me do it. Here is my family last Christmas when shiloh was 4 months old:) Good times.

20161224_120530_1482780809440.jpg&key=389025d6d6b07d5eef6cf243b51429d92805571cd1c05422b3fa795ce9726590

My girlfriend and Shiloh.

Resized_20161224_120428.jpg&key=7c55783310600e1d0e00a97e2a4e127fc72e25f1bafc537cafe95bc41982bb9f

Sent from my SM-N920T using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived