Does anyone have any idea how to hand tame lovebirds?

I bought Rin on Saturday, he's 7 months old, and since then I've been talking to him, sitting near his cage and putting my hand in the cage for 10 minutes about 2/3 times a day --- trying to get him used to my hand.

He doesn't freak out and flap all over the cage, but he does move away from my hand and hang off the side of the cage, looking at my hand, still. Sometimes he'll chirp and eat some of his millet that hangs from his cage.

As soon as I take my hand out, he settles back on his perch.

Am I making progress? Do I continue doing this? Should I leave him a week or two before trying anything like this?

I really want to tame him and I'm willing to do anything.
He's a very sweet, laid back guy and he usually climbs about his cage, eats, and chirps when I leave him be.

Someone who can give me step-by-step instructions would be my saviour :')

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

post-11906-0-78221900-1429058183_thumb.j

Btw, he's in my bedroom 24/7 so he's with me a lot.

He also does this thing a lot where he stretches his wing and foot together at the same time on the same side. --- I have been told this is just a normal stretch, so does this mean he's relaxing around me a little bit?

I can't help I'm afraid, but I just wanted to say that I would love a pair of love birds....but Skye is obsessed with anything that flies and stalks the lady next doors budgie whenever we go round so I don't think they would be safe :0(

Haha yeah they're really lovely little birds.

If you have them in a room you spend a fair amount of time in, like your bed room or the kitchen, separate from the dog I'm sure it'd be fine. If you get a pair then they would be more than happy in their cage with each other ^_^

Yeah, I'll see if I can add some with this post ^_^ 

&Yeah I'm trying that, but Parrots get really cage protective, he might feel threatened if I just stick my hand in there whilst he's too afraid of hands/people, because it's his 'safe zone'. He's doing better, he let me put my hand in with some millet today! ^_^ 

When I had my parakeet (budgie), I bought a little book explaining how to hand train them. I'm assuming its a similar process for a lovebird...

I'll look around for the book (I'm sure I still have it?), and I'll type out what it says for ya.

The stretching is indeed normal, it's sometimes called "the ice skater" :D They can do it both as an exercise, or indeed if they are comfortable, and also just to show off. 

As for backing away from your hand, it basically comes entirely down to trust. You said he's in your room a lot, does he ever willingly come near you, sit on your shoulder etc? Basically just spend as much time as possible around him and encourage him to be near you, through whistling etc. It may also help to open the cage and let him wander out on his own, then try putting your hand out for him. Even a well trained bird will sometimes refuse to jump on your finger from their cage, but if you give them a bit of time they'll usually wander out on their own accord. One thing I've learnt though is never show the bird that you're afraid of it by quickly moving your hand away if it tries to bite you. If you can't stand him biting you, hold your finger about level with the perch he's sitting on while you try pick him up, as he'll have to reach over to bite, or wear a glove. As with any training it's simply a matter of time and practice (in this case, gaining the birds trust) :)