moody Blaze - i need help / updates

i need help - i took Blaze out the other day wearin a half check collar - normally walk him on a harness but i was only going 2 get my lil bro from school and is only like 2 seconds away we live right across the road from the school - and he tried 2 jump up this little kid so i grabbed hold ov the collar 2 make him sit down and he growled (more like a grumbly growl rather than an agressive 1) - if i grab his harness in the same way he growls any ideas y? and what i can do 2 stop him? thnx in advance guys smile.gif

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my Odin's just as grumpy nix, he dont jump up ppl out side but if i grab his collar or harness to stop him doing some thing he gets moody as well and as growled at me it's in no way aggressive just moody more like an old man an he's not even 2 yet xxx

i'm sure someone will help us both on this xxxx

I'd try getting his attention on you - do you carry treats with you - if you can get him to look at you even for a split second - reward it instantly. You may need to try getting him used to this at home first before you do it in a more demanding environment :)

Heya nix,

As Ive said I know how it feels, chewy has been doing a bit of the same thing.

Im pretty sure it has to do with the fact hes rebelling in confusion.

Im sure Ive posted before about chewy naturally protecting the house and barking

at strangers and people who tease him.

Well recently my neighbor next door has taken to running outside and cursing at chewy

and if I dont stop chewy I could be forced by military housing to rehome chewy, which as

Im sure you can imagine is not even close to being an option. I could not imagine our

family without chewy, he really is the very best dog we've had and everyone loves him,

so we'd be heartbroken.

Ive had to begin stopping him from barking and going on alert when strangers come around.

I have no problem with Chewy barking at strangers, as a matter of fact I am fine with it as Im

good for doing what necessary to stop him if its him barking for no reason, which he does very

rarely.

It would seem that this is really bothering chewy as he has taken to growling when I grab hold

of his collar to take him inside. Im not a rough person with my dogs and so I was upset that he

started to growl when Id go out to get him and take hold of his collar. He is a dog who will follow

direction under the lightest touch. In the yard and house I could lead him by his collar with my pinky,

yes Im serious, my pinky.

I believe it is a combination of those hormonal growth issues now that he is over a year, and the fact

that he is confused about why I am stoping him from being protective when I have never made a big

deal of it before.

When he first did it I thought I may have caught some scruff hairs in my grip of his collar, but when he

continued to do it, I was a bit alarmed.

Soooo...I started taking his collar loosely, standing in place next to him, and not letting go. I have him

sit and then naturally after about 30 seconds he gets the right idea and lays down without being

asked to do so. After he has been relaxed for a minute or two and the thing he has just been barking

at has passed by, I let go and let him get up andgo about his business in the yard. Only once he has

layed down and relaxed for a couple of minutes though. He has to remain in the down stay and be

quiet to be let up.

After about 6 days now hes doing it faster and not putting up any real resistance. Im just gonna keep

going with this until he lays down when I approach and before I grab his collar. That way I can teach

him that my approach means he needs to stop.

Would not worry about it to much Nix, Grey does it to me all the time when i grab his harness to stop him jumping up he is only having a moan, i usually grab him is a head lock and give him a kiss a tell him not to growl at me.....lol

Unfortunatly Grey, Blaze and Odin are the same age and are going thru there terrible teens and being grumps do not think they would actually do anything....lol

While I can't say for sure without seeing Blaze, sometimes dogs do this to tell us to back off, like a little child throws a tantrum when they don't get their own way. I would do a check on your leadership and do a lot of work to make sure he gets used to being handled all over. Teaching a stand for exam like we do in obedience is great for this.

I would make sure he's not sore anywhere too just in caes he's got an injury that is aggrevated when you touch or grab him in a certain way.

Hey Nix

Gizmo used to do this and still does now and then. Not sure if Gizmo did it you when we met you at the first meet up (OMG thats almost a year now!) but he would growl at pretty much everyone he didnt know and he didnt need to be touched! If he didnt then Im sure others that have been to the camping trips can tell you.

I used to think he was just "talking" to everyone but found out he was actually being aggressive and bossy to people. After setting some strict rules in stone and alot of hard work and training gizmo (along with bandit and marley) is slowly calming down and I havent heard or seen him growl to anyone now for a while (He only growled once at the last camping trip). Gizmo will still occasionally growl when we have him by the collar (never tried holding him by the harness) and I just ignore him like I would if he a human teenager having a tantrum. He hasnt done this yet but if he went to bite me (or anyone else) then I would let go of him and remove myself away until I had calmed down again as it would, most likely, be because I was in the wrong state of mind and gizmo is simply making me aware of that.

Grey is like this alot when I tell him bed time and he walks into his crate (witout me holding him) and gives me a grumpy growl ( Not aggressive tho) as much to say I dont want to go in my crate I was comfy on the floor :rolleyes:

He also gets grumpy and moody when we dont let him jump up at people or pull hm down when he does (Not all the time only sometimes) Will defo look into getting his focus on me and treats :) x x x x

I always get my dogs attention first if they can't visually see me before I touch them in those sorts of situations. If a dog is tense and you go to grab them it is only natural for them to warn/grumble IMO.

what if u cant get ur dogs attention tho like when he tries 2 dive at ppl so i have 2 hold him back?

thnx for all the advice guys im gonna work on him n not take him anywhere theres loadsa ppl (like pickin my lil bro up from sch) until hes calmed down

what if u cant get ur dogs attention tho like when he tries 2 dive at ppl so i have 2 hold him back?

thnx for all the advice guys im gonna work on him n not take him anywhere theres loadsa ppl (like pickin my lil bro up from sch) until hes calmed down

Have you tried any focus work/training with blaze?

not rly no - ill b honest hes not had THAT much training unsure.gif he just doesnt seem 2 want 2 listen 2 me sad.gif

i did do that bit ov training 2 get him 2 walk next 2 me and he started doin great n cuz i thought he was doin great i started slacking im now tryin 2 keep him on a short lead n get him 2 walk next 2 me so im gonna start on that and work things up

not rly no - ill b honest hes not had THAT much training unsure.gif he just doesnt seem 2 want 2 listen 2 me sad.gif

I think you would benefit from some focus training :) None of my 3 used to listen to me either but with the training they are becoming more resposive to commands and training. Ive been making training time into different games which help keep my 3 interested. The main training method we are using is the Amichien method but thats everything in general. The command/focus training we are doing is (IMO) identical to NILIF.

I only do training with my boys if I am feeling confident and calm otherwise I try to keep contact to a minimum.

Im only guessing so dont take this the wrong way but it could be possible that Blaze is under the impression that he is the leader and knows that you will give into him and this could be why he wont listen to you. To explain why I think that is simply because of what Ive been going through and noticing with my boys. They used to not listen to any of us and everytime, they won which ended up to them thinking they where the pack leaders (which was also why we kept getting fights between them). Now with consistent training and building my own confidence up so I can stay calm and confident with them, they are learning that they cannot get their own way with me now and I will not give in to them and slowly they are being more resposive to my commands and paying more attention to me. Notice I only put "me" in that? Thats because jamies mum and dad still find it hard to follow the new "doggy rules" and continue with their old ways and so the boys will not listen to them or show respect to them because they know jamies mum and dad will give in to them.

My advice would be to do some focus work with Blaze on a one to one level. It would be best to start off where there is the least amount of distractions such as in your house and then as you progress move out to the garden and move to different areas one at a time but start with the least amount of distraction and gain your focus and confidence there and then move onto the next level.

Great advice amy, added to rep.

I've found that when i'm working with my boys, if i get wound up or anything then they act different with me - i don't always see it at first and get worked up and frustrated at myself, not with them, but they pick up on that and then it all goes out of the window unsure.gif

Never feel bad about starting it but then realising you need to walk away :)

Great advice amy, added to rep.

I've found that when i'm working with my boys, if i get wound up or anything then they act different with me - i don't always see it at first and get worked up and frustrated at myself, not with them, but they pick up on that and then it all goes out of the window unsure.gif

Never feel bad about starting it but then realising you need to walk away smile.gif

Its suprising how quick they pick up on our emotions aint it. Sometimes my 3 will often pick it up before I even get annoyed ohmy.gifhuh.gif Try explaining that

Hello,

A growl just means dont do that i dont like it. Basically hes just warning you hes not happy having you do it. Id work on desensatising him to having his collar/harness touched when out and then move on to pulling it. Need to find something he'll really enjoy eating. I have to use primula cheese with merlin

you would start by giving him the treat as you touch his hc, then touch before treat then pull with treat, then pull after treat. Thats if you can find somethign he'll like.

Hot dogs maybe?

jut a quick update ive been workin on training blaze - with the help ov Allen (thnx :D) - just the few basics makin him sit at roads (used 2 do this but kindda let it slip) keepin him on a short lead and swapping what side hes on if we walk past people and hes doing alot better still need sum work as i get stressed out if he doesnt listen and plays up (trying 2 train both ov us 2 keep calm is rly hard!) just need 2 keep up the work ov makin him sit and waiting and 2 ignore other dogs lol hes not growled much since either he deffo doesnt like being held by the scruff but im trying 2 b firm and stay calm :) - ill keep u all updated on how i get on - if u wanna no ovcorse lol

Nix he is doing well, you just got to be patient and calm, we have talked about this and you have seen that being calm does actually help, i know your frustrated at the moment but he has got the ability to be a well behaved dog you have seen that in him b4,i will keep working with you both as long as it takes just dont give up when the going gets a bit tough, he is a good dog but just needs a little guidence.