No Fence help

Fortino555

Sorry, no suggestions here - I would not have a Sibe (or any dog) without a fence to contain it. Having researched Sibes you would know many are known escape artists and are not trustworthy off leash. They also have high prey drives which means they are inclined to run off at a split second, as well as chase and kill small animals. This is the main reason why fencing is a must if you have a Sibe.

Agree, fencing is a MUST, unless you can get a steak in the ground with a VERY secure lead on?

I would never use a stake in this situation.... especially as the dog's collar could easily slip over it's head, it could become tangled in the leash, it could choke, become wound up and frustrated etc. That is no life for any dog but especially a high energy dog like a Sibe.

I think what both myself and Sarah meant was that it should only be on their under supervision, and never by itself!

But I agree that this is definitely not a life for a dog!

I thought that was what you meant, but just wanted to clarify for the OP in case they thought it was a good idea!

Alright thanks for the opinions, my buddys neighbor has two sibes and uses an invisible fence for about 3 years and has never had a problem. We can actually budget a fence but we are not sure city is going to let us?i will never keep my dog outside unsupervised. Still very interested in getting a dog.

• 3 months later...

i personally belive that if the dog wants summin THAT much a invisible fence wont stop it! i wudnt recomend huskies 2 a first time dog owner either specially without a fence u say that a fence wud b costly but whats more important the cost ov a fence or sumthing that may cost ur dog its life!? if ur set on gettin a sibe i wud get a fence 1st !

if i put a 7ft high fence, should i burry a foot or put something underneath so jenna cant get out. i looked at the invisble fence yesterday for stubborn dogs, and i agree, once she gets off her leash she runs and its like chasing a hamster, they never stop running

Most people find 6ft fencing is suffiecient enough to keep their sibes in so yes you could bury a foot of fencing under the ground but I would leave this to your descision. I would however advise, if you bury some fencing or not, to maybe consider laying concrete slabs or something similar around the base of the fence just to help prevent her from digging near there and creating a gap where she could get out.

I dont know much about Invisable fencing but I would probably not advise this as I would rather wooden fencing as to help prevent my dogs from seeing a bird or something on the other side and potentially causing injury to them.

I think with huskies that an invisible fence would be more likely to stop them getting back in to your property rather than stopping them getting out. Huskies are so quick that, if they were chasing a squirrel for example, they would be on the other side of the invisible fence before they registered the discomfort from their collar. Then, when they wanted to return (at a more leisurely pace having dispatched their prey) the invisible fence would actually keep them out. Just a thought!

Personally, without a securely fenced yard, I would not consider keeping any dog, least of all a Siberian Husky.

Mick

i must say we do not have a fence yet due to a new house and the land still not stable but i am building one. as for a pup shes alright inside and we do always go out with her when she needs to go to the washroom and we go on 2 walks a day and alot of playing inside. mid july i get the chance to build one will be perfect timming i would think.

someone is always home so theres no problem but even with a fence shouldnt be left alone.. due to the fact that i have seen siberians run through fences to get at something. but like it was stated if your planning on a northern breed a fence is a must!

on the topic of the stake thing i wouldnt ever do that. if you are already going to watch them might as well be with them too. i really hate seeing dogs outside tied up, develops bad habbits and gets quite territorial over time.

if your in the city check for dog parks for him to go play at. take him for regular walks/runs. if you can dedicate the time/love required i dont see a problem. but i wouldnt stake em in the ground outside... i really dont see how that would be much fun for him

if i put a 7ft high fence, should i burry a foot or put something underneath so jenna cant get out. i looked at the invisble fence yesterday for stubborn dogs, and i agree, once she gets off her leash she runs and its like chasing a hamster, they never stop running

7ft fencing should be ok, but I would take the extra precaution and put some fencing or concrete under neath.

Electric fencing can work well if it is a good system and you have a fence jumper - I know people who have good fencing and an electric fence put about half a metre from the actual fence to stop the dog jumping/digging out and have had great success with it. I wouldn't rely on electric fencing on it's own though.

someone is always home so theres no problem but even with a fence shouldnt be left alone.. due to the fact that i have seen siberians run through fences to get at something. but like it was stated if your planning on a northern breed a fence is a must!

I agree although mine are left ouside whenever we aren't home, we have 3 metre high solid timber fencing so not a chance they could run through it or get out!

yeah wouldnt see them getting through timber, be a nice lump on the head for sure.

also i forgot to add make sure if you have a dog house, plants/trees ect... to place them far from the fence as they can jump and jump HIGH! if there is any possible way of getting out they will eventualy find it.

that being said some have to be motivated to do such things.