Should I Neuter My Boy ?

I have a 7.5 month old male puppy and I'm still conflicted about neutering him or keeping him intact. He's a calm boy and will let other dogs know when they overstep their boundaries with him. But he's never been aggressive so far and is a cuddly monster with my hubby. Difficult to make the right choice. We have no intention of breeding him though...

Current reccomendations for male neutering seems to be to wait until they hit maturity before neutering (unless they have an undescended  testicle).  The op for a male is much less invasive with quicker recovery times than for females.  Unless they have an undescended testicle which is where one of the testicles doesn't 'drop down' but remains tucked up inside the groin, in that case it's comparative to a female spay op

At 7.5 months old he's still a puppy so I wouldn't recommend it anyway , wait till he's around 2 years old then think about it , it's best to let them grow and nature first , my boy was the same at that age , hit his teenage stage then changed to the point I was scared of him n thought he would actually bite me , got him neutered and he's back to being a calm soft cuddly loving dog :-) not saying yours will be the same but definitely wait it out a bit first

Hidden

It really depends on your self. It takes a lot to handle an intact male while in an area where females may be in heat. They can scent them from miles away and will dig, climb, scale and do whatever they can to reach them. Note: allowing him a female will not 'settle' this behavior. They can tie through chain link fencing and crates and I even know of one story where a male chewed through a house to get to a female. And a female will go through just as much to reach HIM. 

Evaluate your situation and your ability to keep him contained and then decide if, when the time is right, you want to neuter or keep him intact.

Another thought that came to mind, which is really area specific is that some thieves/ irresponsible breeders will scour yards for intact dogs. I've heard of a few cases of people who neighbors kept arguing with them because they wanted to breed their poorly bred dog to theirs and when they finally were told 'no' enough, the neighbors took their female in heat and through them into yard with the male, or vice versa. But I've lived in places where that wouldn't happen and places where your dog had to wear an Everlast chastity belt. 

maid_marian_chastity_belt_by_crichyrulz-

Could be because I live in the city of New York. Julius goes for his daily work every day. No female dogs for miles. Any he does meet on the street are fixed. My backyard has a cement wall with a pvc fence. About 12ft total. He would need a jackhammer to get out. Guess also depends were you live. My boy is happy having his chestnuts.

Astro got done when he was 9 months, he had to be done as we were going on holiday and it was a requirement from the home boarding place he was going to. I wouldn't say it changed his personality. Immediately after the op he was exactly the same, he's starting to calm down now but i think that's more of an age thing as he's nearly 2 now. It's quite a simple procedure Astro was fine after a couple of days, if you aren't breeding from him I would definitely get him done at some point :)

After research I've decided to get both my dogs done the middle of this year or end .... then they will be both nearly two so should be fully mature by then as they both only just gone 1 and also just to avoid any more poor husky dogs in pounds due to people getting over the cute stage and reality of owning a husky sets in .... I do find it hard myia has had two seasons so far but luckily my daughter goes to stay at my mom's with her away from diesel when she starts season ...... he still crys for her but better than the alternative ..... and also diesel can be very dominant with other dogs so fingers crossed it helps with that as well x