A second husky

Kaiser&me

Hi all,

my wife and I have a 16 month old male Sibe 'Kaiser', he's been with us for 5 months and has settled in well. He's the first Sibe we've had, previously having a border collie and he's the first puppy/teenager we've had, we got our collie in her later years.

Now Kaiser is no angel, he chews, digs holes, runs about like he's on acid and isn't particulary well trained but for us he's come a long way from when we got him and responds to simple commands and will stop when told.

He has a kennel in the garden and spends the day on a 10 metre lead attached to a runner giving him access to 90% of the garden, when I get home from work he comes in and lives/sleeps downstairs, he has a crate that he's comfortable in and he eats in it while we eat in the evening.

I walk him twice a day for an hour and he's learning to walk by my side to and from the park and is free to drag me about as much as he likes when we're there. He's excitable around some dogs but clam around others, he has two sibe friends we sometimes meet over the park and plays with them but at first was very excitable with them both, both female and it's almost as if he looks on in envy at dogs running free in the distance as he is never off his lead.

So there's a little outline of our lives.

Now I'm thinking of adding a second, I love watching dogs play together and I genuinely think they are happier in a 'pack'

Any thoughts based on the free time I have and the little you can guage from the above, boy or girl, age etc would be welcome, even if it's to say perhaps one is enough.

I've read a lot of threads about this but thought I'd start my own specific one.

Many thanks for any experiences/advice/things to consider, Lee.

i got my first Odin at 8 week old then at about 16 month i wanted a play mate for him so we got Loki from rescue at 21/2 then we ended up with Thor from rescue at 18 month they all get along great, Loki being the girl is spoilt rotton by the boys she gets away with murder.

we both work but try to keep our shifts sep so one of us is home, but there are days when no ones home but they keep each other company.

they have access to the hall and kitchen/dinner so there is nothing realy for them to chew, when we got Odin he was our first husky lol and he's alot happier with play mates.

it's not easy some times as the boys will have their fall outs and we have had some fights no real injury, so if you can cope with more than 1 and you have the time for them then go with it, it's double the work but for me it's also double the love xxxxxxxx good luck

If you think you have the space, money, time and patience for two dogs then go for it! Huskies are the pringle of the dog world once you pop you cant stop! LOL!

As for the sex, from everything I've read one of each is the mosts balanced way to do it and if I ever have the space and cash for a second I'll be looking for a boy to go with my girl as I think she'd get on better like that; but then you know your dog better and if he has any problems with either sex of dog when your out and about.

Age wise as Linda said rescues are always a good idea and there are plenty of them out there looking for their furever home especially slightly older dogs. I'd at least consider this and contact some rescues like SHWA although do bear in mind that many rescues wont re-home to you if your exsiting dog hasnt been fixed (you didnt say if he was or not) this is something to consider sex wise aswell as if hes not and you get a girl theres the chance of unwanted pups and if you get another boy you have a chance of unwanted behaviours, fighting, marking etc.

I think its something to be thought about from every angle and then make a descision when you have thought of all the pros and cons.

Good luck and if/when you get the new furbaby remember pictures, pictures, pictures!!!!! biggrin.gif

If you have a kennel, why do you need to put him on a runner? If im thinking of the same thing then personnally I hate them as there is always the chance of the dog strangling itself.

Regarding the rescues, SHWA would rehome to you if your male was entire, as any dogs we rehome are now spayed and neutred before going onto their new homes.

Also if you are working full time and the dog is being left for most of the day then I would not pass you - and most rescues would take the same stance.

Although with all that said, getting another husky will probably be the best thing you ever do, my first husky really came out of himself when I got my second.

Personally I would advise a female (any age), or a young male.

Hope that is some help!

Sarah

With 2 Huskies they have a choice: play with each other (and destroy less) or destroy things together :)

Getting Cheyenne was the best thing I have ever done for Mickey. He was definately lonely just being the only dog. When we would leave the dog park and come home he would kind of wander about looking for someone to play with in the house. We were home frequently, but weren't up to getting on our hands and knees and biting each others faces and ears... am i right? :D Once we got Cheyenne (and then Mishka a year later) they are never bored. I would never have only 1 dog ever again.

As for the sex, i think male/female is the best. It's got the best success rate for them being good matches. Personally i like having one of each (just need another male now :rolleyes:) Their personalities are very different and it's fun to see them together.

Although having 2 dogs outside all day with a runner seems a bit dangerous. I don't know if I would leave things like that. You should definitely make sure you'll be able to afford another. It's now double everything.

Once you start, you just can't stop though!

Now Kaiser is no angel, he chews, digs holes, runs about like he's on acid

Wow - must be something in the name lol - you just described my boy Kaiser down to a tee tongue.gif

I think 2 is much easier than having one, they keep each other entertained more :) At the end of the day, it you have the room, patience, time and cash, I say go for it :)

I have to agree that having one of each gender is great!!

We had Sasha first and she is our energetic do anything (most of the time) we want her to do...where as Bailey is our lazy carefree 6mth old pup who just likes to laze around.

He still won't jump in the car to go places rather place his front legs on the seat and stays there lol

As others have said... if you have the TIME and money etc... get the 2nd.

If you have a kennel, why do you need to put him on a runner? If im thinking of the same thing then personnally I hate them as there is always the chance of the dog strangling itself.

Regarding the rescues, SHWA would rehome to you if your male was entire, as any dogs we rehome are now spayed and neutred before going onto their new homes.

Also if you are working full time and the dog is being left for most of the day then I would not pass you - and most rescues would take the same stance.

Although with all that said, getting another husky will probably be the best thing you ever do, my first husky really came out of himself when I got my second.

Personally I would advise a female (any age), or a young male.

Hope that is some help!

Sarah

Hi Sarah, by kennel I mean the traditional type, like snoopy has lol

a>

and the runner I mean like a washing line elevated and his lead is on a hoop that slides along it, I had him on a static line but it gets taggled up, also he wears a harness not a collar when attached, we used to leave him free and still do when we are in but he jumped the 6 foot fence the little sod.

Guess a rehome isn't an option then even though I'm sure my wife would give up work if I asked lol.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I will be getting K a playmate soon, most likely a 2 year oldish female, K is all there ie not 'fixed' so should he be even if a girl is, I've never reeally thought about it and the vet said to leave him unless he starts getting aggressive then we'd talk about the options ?

thanks again.

4-3.jpg

I'll point it out as no-one seems to have mentioned it:

SEX!

If you have one of each, and neither is neutered, they WILL want to do what one of each does!

Once both hit maturity if they are entire, your life will be turned into a living hell for several weeks each time your girl comes in season. Your male will pine, whine, howl and scent mark. If he does it in the house, it STINKS! and your neighbours won't be impressed by the noise, day and night! Girls can be very vocal and demanding too, and NEVER underestimate a dogs desire to reach a member of the opposite sex. They can and WILL rip doors, gates and crates to bits to get what they want.

Even if you have a nice, calm, good natured entire male now, you may find that introducing a female to the equation could change this, and he'll start displaying traits of dominance towards other dogs who venture near 'his' girl.

If you have a male and want a girl, fine, but would recommend you get your boy neutered before your girl reaches 6 months for full peace of mind.Even neutered, a male is still capable of mating AND tying with a bitch in season, two of ours have!, otherwise, plenty of people have same-sex pairs or packs who get along just fine B)

Well i have read and huskies are better in packs (2 or more) vs alone. As stated before by other members if you have the time, space and money. If you are letting your husky pull you know just expects double the pull on your walks, if you think it will stop all the chewing and will not but more likely bring it down a lot, if you know that there is going to be some rough playing, noise making, double the feeding, training the other , and possible some dominance that you will have to straighten out then go right ahead.

To be on the safe side i would expect things to increase by two and a half. Not saying that they all will but if you expect the worst and something else happens then it's a good thing. At least this way you can answer and be prepared for the worst.