Richard 2 husky's 0

Mistyrayn

No no dont take it like that ... It just seemed like you were making assumptions about Richard thats all. I actually enjoy reading a lot of your posts as they are always detailed and informative.

i agree - i think this is going to get out of hand if we're not carefull, no one's right and no one's wrong - let's all have a group hug :087:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I would say smeagle is that on reading what you have put it would seem that you automatically assume people are doing things with a lack of knowledge and know less than yourself. As you can see from Richards post above his wife more experience than your entire life.

As for my age - I have no idea how you know how old I am? It's not information that (from what I can tell) is on my profile or something I have shared publically here. I don't care that people know how old I am (I am in my 20s for those who are wondering) but I do take umbridge to having information that is private being shared publically without my permission.

Unless you were just taking a wild guess? :)

in reply to Smeagle.. ok accepted i didn't make my post clear.. the halti was for the road walk part and the car park. once in the forest i attached flexi lead to their harness but left the halti on ( un conected to any lead ) to get them totally happy with it..

i do feel your comment about my wife and whether or not she is a good trainer was some what sarcastic.. sarcasm has no place on this site so please.. leave it behind ... reason for using a stop pull harness before hand is due to my stuborness not her training... she's good at training .. but not so good as training her husband to listen...

No no dont take it like that ... It just seemed like you were making assumptions about Richard thats all. I actually enjoy reading a lot of your posts as they are always detailed and informative.

I would not dispute that you could provide me with articles backing up your opinion, however Im sure there wil also be artucles with the oposing opinion. As you said yourself all of these things will only work when used correctly and in my opinion this would also apply to the halti. People have mentioned on this thread about the dog 'wanting' to do things, when I it contradicts the fact that you must be the alpha part of your part in order to correctly issue a command to your dog. In my opinion this kind of training no matter what the tool used is just the same, its not the want for the owner, its the doing as its instructed by the pack leader.

Absolutely but like I said, I was a bit offended at the assumption I train with fear or by breaking the spirit of my dogs. that's not the case at all :)

Being the alpha does not mean forcing your dog to do something it doesn't want to do, as this is not going to make the dog reliable. For example - you could see my dog doing a sit stay with pure voice command, to get to this stage I used absolutely no force at all. He *wants* to comply to my command because he knows that (as the alpha) I control all the resources, and secondly because he has learned that by complying with my commands he will get a reward (the food). This is different to training a dog to comply out of force, and having a dog comply out of fear of the handler - and thus doing something not because it wants to but because it fears the consequences. If that makes sense?

in reply to Smeagle.. ok accepted i didn't make my post clear.. the halti was for the road walk part and the car park. once in the forest i attached flexi lead to their harness but left the halti on ( un conected to any lead ) to get them totally happy with it..

i do feel your comment about my wife and whether or not she is a good trainer was some what sarcastic.. sarcasm has no place on this site so please.. leave it behind ... reason for using a stop pull harness before hand is due to my stuborness not her training... she's good at training .. but not so good as training her husband to listen...

Sorry, my fault I misunderstood you... I thought you were saying that your wife trained your dogs and I was curious why she didn't try her methods first (i.e. why you used all the other tools, instead of going straight to the halti). I see where you are coming from now :)

As for my age - I have no idea how you know how old I am? It's not information that (from what I can tell) is on my profile or something I have shared publically here. I don't care that people know how old I am (I am in my 20s for those who are wondering) but I do take umbridge to having information that is private being shared publically without my permission.

Unless you were just taking a wild guess? :)

Since I am admin I can see all public and private profile fields, so yes I did know how old you were however didnt look to see if you had specified for it to be private. This said however I didnt specify your age in my post, simply that you didnt have as much life experience as Richards wife had dog handling experience. If I was not a member of admin, then this much woudl still be evedent as you have posted both pictures and videos of yourself around the forum and therefore the fact that you are in your 20's was publically shared by yourself.

Come on, I'm allowed to have an opinion too :o Anyways, stop bloody arguein woman ... Im in a good mood LOL ;) Besides you should be happy I think you look like your in your twenties

Since I am admin I can see all public and private profile fields, so yes I did know how old you were however didnt look to see if you had specified for it to be private. This said however I didnt specify your age in my post, simply that you didnt have as much life experience as Richards wife had dog handling experience. If I was not a member of admin, then this much woudl still be evedent as you have posted both pictures and videos of yourself around the forum and therefore the fact that you are in your 20's was publically shared by yourself.

Come on, I'm allowed to have an opinion too :o Anyways, stop bloody arguein woman ... Im in a good mood LOL ;) Besides you should be happy I think you look like your in your twenties

Posting a video/picture is still not quite the same as telling the forum I'm under 25 ;)

But anyway... moving on... I get paid to teach kids to argue, so I can't help it :rofl:

Just to say that I think argument is the biggest and most important tool we have for learning from each other. Real argument however, implies both stating your own opinion and (just as important) listening to those of others. Many of the husky forums I have been involved with welcome argument and even heated discussion AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT GET PERSONAL!!!! and I have learned more from such open forums than from many other sources.

Age by itself is no guarantee of knowledge - at 61, I know a lot about some things and bugger all about others. My age is irrelevant. As someone much wiser than I once said, "experience is only valuable if we learn from it!"

The open and honest exchange of views with others, is one of the best ways I know for putting my own experience into context and learning from it.

Mick

i agree with you mick...added to rep...one thing i want to say on this though is that people can read a post in different ways, obviously as we're not verbally talking to each other it's hard to know in what context something is said.

I've read a few things whereby a point of view is really well explained but comes across a bit arrogantly and gets peoples backs up - i know wholeheartedly that it isn't intentional, just wanted to say that different people read into things in different ways.

Also want to say i've no issues with this post so don't have a go at me, just sayin my piece lol xxxx

Just to say that I think argument is the biggest and most important tool we have for learning from each other. Real argument however, implies both stating your own opinion and (just as important) listening to those of others. Many of the husky forums I have been involved with welcome argument and even heated discussion AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT GET PERSONAL!!!! and I have learned more from such open forums than from many other sources.

Age by itself is no guarantee of knowledge - at 61, I know a lot about some things and bugger all about others. My age is irrelevant. As someone much wiser than I once said, "experience is only valuable if we learn from it!"

The open and honest exchange of views with others, is one of the best ways I know for putting my own experience into context and learning from it.

Mick

oi Mick am crap at putting things into words abd get in loads of s**t for it loads of times so if anyone listerns to me there just plain daft lol just kiddin but am with you all the way in the above statment :)

Posting a video/picture is still not quite the same as telling the forum I'm under 25 ;)

But anyway... moving on... I get paid to teach kids to argue, so I can't help it :rofl:

I seen your vids and pics and you under 25 :heart::heart::heart: