I Don't Know How...

I'm going to try to be very careful with this ...

It's simply that animals (dog, cats, ???) have learned something that we humans have a hard time with ... it's called acceptance.  Most grief process use basically the same five steps:

1. Denial
  2. Anger
  3. Bargaining
  4. Depression
  5. Acceptance

It doesn't matter whether it's a parent or a child, a loved friend, the family pet or our furred companion.  While we try our best to make the death "unhappen", we can't do that - reality is all too real.  Our furred friends live in a much more real world than most of us do ...

From what you've described, they were there when Meeka was shot, they (in their way) know she's dead - they can't deny the reality of what they saw. 

The next step for many animals is depression - simply they might miss her.

But the real clincher is that they can accept that she's not there a lot more readily than we can ( than we want to :cry1: ).

Don't try to put your feelings onto them, that's going to be painful in a lot of different ways.  They may find her favourite toy and go looking for her; they may expect to see her on a walk ... but in the end, they know she's not there.

You know how much I wish you didn't have to go through this, but we're all here to help you make it through it.  Take care of yourself, love and take care of those two, too.