Can't Be Normal Surely

Keiko is now 18 months old and she's bleeding from her lady parts again... This is like the 6th time. The last "season" was 14th April. This can't be normal surely? Think I'm gonna take her to the vets this afternoon, but just wondered if I'm worried over nothing.

I would have her checked out. They should only have their first season around a year old (various from dog to dog) and then every 6 months or so.

Is she showing other normal signs of it being a season? swelling, interest from male dogs etc?

rather be safe than sorry. Better to know for sure. The vet sounds like a responsible idea to me.

Hope all goes well!

That's what I thought, her 1st season was when she was bang on 6 months old. I only noticed last night she was bleeding again, she is swollen, but no male dogs around so can't comment on that, we would normally walk her late at night to try avoid male attention.

Asslin, a couple of links for you to look at while you're getting ready to go to the vet:

When a female comes into heat varies from dog to dog and how often they come into heat ditto.  This DogChat link gives some really good information.

At the same time, determining whether she's in heat or not isn't rocket science.  (( At least for the nearest male dogs! ))  This DogBreedInfo link show quite well (( and I'll note quite graphically! )) what you'll see when she's in heat.

I would definately get her to the vet and get her checked out. I have 4 females and while it's not uncommon for them to have, tiny seasons, as I call them yours doesn't quite sound right. My little ginger ninja, Nina, was in season at husky camp and has just started again. This second one lasted 4 days and she has now finished again. This is what I mean by tiny seasons and all my girls tend to do it from time to time. Hope you get good news from the vet.

Gary.

Well it was interesting to say the least. They took a swap and it didn't show any bacteria, if it doesn't settle I need to try and get a urine sample :o. So basically he just told me to spay her (it wasn't our usual vet). I did say I want to wait until she's two... he then sold me a toothbrush and a small tube of tooth paste for the lovely price of £10.39..

Well it was interesting to say the least. They took a swap and it didn't show any bacteria, if it doesn't settle I need to try and get a urine sample :o. So basically he just told me to spay her (it wasn't our usual vet). I did say I want to wait until she's two... he then sold me a toothbrush and a small tube of tooth paste for the lovely price of £10.39..

Oh my! I'm almost to afraid to ask what you're supposed to do with the toothbrush and paste! Considering what you went in for, the mind boggles, lol.

Did the vet think she was in season again too? Every two months must be quite tiring on both of you. Maybe she's having a split season if it's a one off? Sounds like you've been having 'great fun' with your vet, lol. Very random!

Lol yeah it would be for her teeth :P. He couldn't see any blood on the slide and she wasn't actively bleeding when he played with her, he also commented that she wasn't very swollen she presented her belly to him lol. I did tell him that though. But I know last night there was blood up the stairs and when I looked her over it was coming for that part and was in her white fur. I dunno I'm stumped, I'll just keep an eye on her and keep taking notes. Also get her spayed when she's two.

It is a mystery. [emoji33]

Only thing I can think to say that could be useful is to keep an eye out for any funky discharge, lack of appetite, vomiting, generally unwell. They're all signs of a condition called pyometra. I'm not suggesting this is what she has but something to watch out for as a possible worse case scenario.

Oh gosh I feel your pain :( sometimes I think these dogs are designed to make us worry over nothing! I'd do as Emma suggested above though. If there's no sign of unusual behavior or "funky discharge" in the next 24-48 hours, I'd prolly shrug it all off.

It is a mystery. [emoji33]

Only thing I can think to say that could be useful is to keep an eye out for any funky discharge, lack of appetite, vomiting, generally unwell. They're all signs of a condition called pyometra. I'm not suggesting this is what she has but something to watch out for as a possible worse case scenario.

Yeah thankfully we know the signs, our GSD (Kimba) had pyometra in February so I was pretty sure it wasn't that, but just wanted her checked over :) I feel better they aren't worried I'll just watch her. LOL think you might be right Liv.